Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
SDRob01
Guide
Guide

Started getting these "#### is Fully Charged" notifications today on Galaxy S23 phone (Android 14).  Never used to get them before.  There is no way to turn battery notifications off, since they are included in the same generic "Notifications" category, so unless you turn off ALL motion and other important notifications, phone is now nagging with notifications about battery being fully charged.

My Arlo cameras are permanently connected to power sources so I'm not concerned about battery status.

Arlo support confirmed there's no way to turn off just battery charging/charged notifications.  😕

Has anyone else noticed this recently (June 2024)? 

Running latest version of app 4.14.6  on Android 14, Galaxy S23 Ultra One running UI 6.1

Screenshot_20240619_142801_One UI Home.jpg

92 REPLIES 92
Jcoz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes!  VERY annoying. Anyone have a solution???

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you using an Arlo Solar panel or a third party?

Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

I am using one Arlo solar panel and two third-party panels, so the origin of the panel doesn't appear to be the issue.   I think I have perhaps found a fix that is working for me.  At the suggestion of Arlo Support, I removed and re-added one camera on June 25 and a second camera on June 28, and as of today (July 12), I have received no further "fully charged" notifications from either of these cameras.   I did the same with a third camera on July 10 and am now monitoring it.  

LongDang
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m using a third party pannel since I first used this Arlo Essential camera till now, about 3 years. The notifications appeared about 2 months ago. I have another Arlo baby camera which is plugged in the socket and it works perfectly.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you please. try cleaning the charging contacts with isopropyl alcohol. It may be a "misdetection" issue where an official Arlo solar panel is being "detected" as an indoor charger.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@SDRob01 

Can you provide which cameras user:
1. Arlo Solar Panel
2. 3rd party solar panel. what brand is the 3rd party solar panel?

@Prufrock have all three Essential Spotlight cameras up until now have stopped the notifications after remove/re-add?

Also can you provide which cameras use:

1. Arlo Solar Panel
2. 3rd party solar panel. what brand is the 3rd party solar panel?

Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

I have five Arlo Essential Spotlight cameras, three of which are connected to solar chargers and two of which are charged via the regular plug-in method.  It has been my experience that the "fully charged" notification has not been restricted to the solar-charged units since one of my plug-in-charged cameras also showed the notification (The other plug-in-charged unit has not).  I have removed and re-added the four cameras  suffering from the affliction, and three of them have been "cured"--at least thus far (I began the process on June 25).  The camera that persists with the notification, at the rate of once a day, is connected to an iTODOS Solar Panel Charger, but I am  reluctant to assign blame to the solar panel since two of the "cured" cameras are attached to the same brand (I recently replaced an Arlo panel with an iTODOS).

My next step is to remove and re-add the problem unit a second time, and then if the notifications continue, I plan to disconnect the solar panel and recharge via plug-in to see if that makes a difference.  If I succeed in slaying the beast. I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, Arlo Support is pursuing a possible solution through examination of firmware, and I'll also let you know if I hear more from them.

Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

One of my "cured" cameras began sending the "fully charged" notification again today, and when I checked the Device Info, I noted that the firmware had changed from 1.09.33.0__28__449310d to 1.090.34.0__11__05ab229, the latter being the same version installed in my other problematic camera, which has continued sending the notifications even after being removed and re-added.  Can anyone else experiencing the issue trace it to this firmware?

chobson97
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just started experiencing this today with a camera that is plugged into an electrical outlet - 200 miles away from where I reside. Please, God, make it stop.

Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

I have one camera plugged into an outlet, but it’s connected via a Kasa plug so that I can control it through my Kasa app. Just a suggestion that might help you in the future.

misaacka
Tutor
Tutor

Same here:  I have a Pro 3 plugged into an outlet that just started sending these alerts a couple of days ago.  Firmware is 1.080.30.0_11_ad1d877.  My other Pro 3 (same model number [FB1001AerH4] purchased at the same time and solar-charged) runs firmware 1.080.29.0_34_12a6df4 and does NOT send these incessant alerts.  Both cameras say that no firmware updates are available, but clearly the one sending the alerts is running a later version.

I agree with the suggestion to allow separate toggling for battery notifications, at least while we wait for a proper fix.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can everyone please dm me with the camera serial number that is seeing this behavior. We have an experimental build out that I will move the cameras to that should resolve the behavior you are seeing. 

Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

is one of my affected cameras.  The hardware is  and the firmware is 1.090.34.0__11__05ab229.

LongDang
Aspirant
Aspirant

My camera serial number is . I have turned off Arlo app notifications so please tell me to turn it on again when the problem is resolved. Thanks in advance!

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Prufrock I have moved your camera. Please let me know if you see a change in the behavior you were seeing. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Any of you that sent me the serial number by dm I have the cameras moved over. Please allow 24hrs to see the changes. 

chobson97
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just messaged you
Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

Here are four more serial numbers:

Thanks so much for your help.

Prufrock
Tutor
Tutor

I will.  Thank you!

Jcoz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Serial number

Jcoz
Aspirant
Aspirant

another one

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Alright, I have moved the devices you all provided. Please allow 24hrs to see the changes. 

SDRob01
Guide
Guide

Another device just started sending alerts.  

To restate-- I really don't think this is a camera-specific issue. 

Cameras have always reported battery status to the app.  Cameras don't generate app notifications; apps do.  And Android already has a well documented and established way for managing notifications, called "Categories."  All the app developers need to do is create a new category for "Battery Status" or "Charge Status" notifications.  Done.   Or alternatively, just put a setting in the app to toggle on or off whether to receive notifications for battery status. 
Then users who use batteries can choose to get notified when batteries are low or charged; users who have the cameras full-time powered can choose to turn off battery-charged notifications.  

Let's not focus on messing around with camera settings when the issue is almost certainly something in the recent app update that is causing unnecessary notifications.  The solution is already built in to Android.  

Can you please make sure your devs are aware of this and let's hope they can resolve this the proper way with an app update. 

Thanks!

Screenshot_20240723_130454_Settings.jpg

SoozyQ1234
Aspirant
Aspirant

This just started on my android today (7/23/24). It must be Arlo. 

misaacka
Tutor
Tutor

So far, so good:  since updating the firmware, I’ve had no battery alerts from my plugged-in camera.  Thanks to Brooke and the software development team for resolving this annoying problem!

Discussion stats