Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
canyonjam
Star
Star

A week or so ago a strange thing started happening with 2 of my Pro 4 cameras: every 2 seconds, video blurs then gets clear again. This happens continuously unless I enable autofocus which seems to eliminate the issue (or at least I haven't noticed cycling from blurred to clear every 2 seconds) but I don't want to leave this feature on.

I have videos from a week or so ago that appear to not have this issue. I have removed and re-added the cameras but that didn't help. All firmware is up to date. Wifi should be pretty strong with at least one of the cameras (it's attached to my house about 15' from my wifi mesh point).

I'm out of ideas here. Hardware warranty on one or both cameras ends in a few months so I'd like to determine if this is defective hardware as soon as I can. 

Thanks for anyone that's read this far! Any hints?

Best answers
62 REPLIES 62
Billycrk
Tutor
Tutor

This has happened to me with my Arlo Pro 4 cameras since late spring.  No help from numerous contacts with support. Arlo is not letting me post a more in depth response here, not sure why.  Any idea when this will be fixed?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bjohnson6626 wrote:

My picture still sucks when not zoomed in. 

The youtube looked fairly typical, though it's easier to assess quality using the actual camera recording.

The bit rate is rather low, which unfortunately does limit the quality.  I've suggested a couple of times that Arlo have a setting where you can set a higher quality level, in exchange for less retention.  Personally I'd go for 3x or 4x the bitrate and 7 days retention.

Mrproatc2011
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo can add me to the list of people having all of their Pro 4 cameras being blurry and and then becoming slightly clearer (although still poor quality) every couple seconds. The cameras are almost unusable for what they were purchased for (to be able to identify someone if they’re causing trouble or breaking in). The current quality looks like 360p, NOT 2K.

SDnj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone actually get a resolution? I was just told that support "the issue has been resolved by our team." then asked me to be near the camera to isolate the issue. Kinda contradictory! I was told to pull the battery, then put it back in. Also to test the upload/download speed. I asked if this is the fix, I was told yes, and if it doesn't work to send support a copy of the image I am seeing. Since they brought up internet speed, I asked if an extender would help, they wouldn't answer that. Anyone!?

canyonjam
Star
Star

Nothing Arlo suggested fixed anything for me. They had me do the hardware dance, grilled me about router locations, etc, and none of it added up to anything. My cameras still do the cyclic blurring thing that started back in spring. Unfortunately I've given up trying to fix this. 

SDnj
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks for the reply. I just got this pro 4 from a neighbor who was no longer using it. The first thing it asked was that I needed a firmware update, sounds like that may have been mistake 1. I am going to try an extender to see if signal is my issue and maybe it helps. If that doesn't work, back to the neighbor and will look for a better brand.

austindadams3
Aspirant
Aspirant

The signal strength has nothing to do with it. All of the Arlo Pro 4 cameras on this firmware have this blur issue and they don't seem to make it a priority to fix it. 

canyonjam
Star
Star

I use a wifi mesh point upstairs in my house that connects to my main router in the basement. Both the mesh point and the router are super powerful. Amplifi Alien devices, both of them. Essentially one click below pro-sumer, much more horsepower than a typical Best Buy purchased router (not that there's anything wrong with a Best Buy purchased router). My wifi is really strong, in other words. Doesn't make a difference, at least not for my cameras. I'd return the camera to your neighbor w/ thanks and find another line of cameras to invest in if I were you. These cameras have ecosystems and I'd hate to see someone invest in an ecosystem that will leave them disappointed.

SDnj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually looking at the Arlo Pro 4 when my neighbor offered it so I figured I would test it. Good thing! I will look for another solution. I don't want to get tied up in a solution that has poor support. Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is continuing to investigate reports of this issue. New firmware with adjustments to improve these symptoms is currently being tested, with positive results. Once this firmware is available I will provide more information here.

JamesC

Billycrk
Tutor
Tutor

I have been dealing with this issue for months, Arlo support has been of little use. You are sent from person to person, most of which ask you to do the same thing (i.e. reset cameras, document internet speed, question your network setup, bring cameras closer to router, etc.) They won't admit it is an Arlo problem that many are obviously having. Rather, they offer you a 30% discount to buy a new camera.  They sent a new camera last month, which is no different than the others.  Occasionally my picture will be better, but then returns to the 2 second recycle pixelated picture.

SDnj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unless the release is in the next couple days so I can test, I will be pursuing another solution. I have been using Swann cameras for over 9 years without a single issue. I wanted to get some better resolution so was going to look at Arlo but based on what I am reading, your not stable yet and considering the cost of your camera's I can't risk it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New firmware is being released that addresses the symptoms being discussed here. This firmware is currently being released but may not be available for all users immediately. Please check to see if your cameras have an update available and test again to see if these issues are resolved.

You can reference the latest firmware versions here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Firmware-Release-Table/m-p/1920885#M791

JamesC

Discussion stats