Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 cameras blur and then get clear again every 2 seconds

Discussion stats
canyonjam
Star
Star

A week or so ago a strange thing started happening with 2 of my Pro 4 cameras: every 2 seconds, video blurs then gets clear again. This happens continuously unless I enable autofocus which seems to eliminate the issue (or at least I haven't noticed cycling from blurred to clear every 2 seconds) but I don't want to leave this feature on.

I have videos from a week or so ago that appear to not have this issue. I have removed and re-added the cameras but that didn't help. All firmware is up to date. Wifi should be pretty strong with at least one of the cameras (it's attached to my house about 15' from my wifi mesh point).

I'm out of ideas here. Hardware warranty on one or both cameras ends in a few months so I'd like to determine if this is defective hardware as soon as I can. 

Thanks for anyone that's read this far! Any hints?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New firmware is being released that addresses the symptoms being discussed here. This firmware is currently being released but may not be available for all users immediately. Please check to see if your cameras have an update available and test again to see if these issues are resolved.

You can reference the latest firmware versions here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Firmware-Release-Table/m-p/1920885#M791

JamesC

View solution in original post

Best answers
62 REPLIES 62
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@canyonjam wrote:

A week or so ago a strange thing started happening with 2 of my Pro 4 cameras: every 2 seconds, video blurs then gets clear again. This happens continuously unless I enable autofocus which seems to eliminate the issue (or at least I haven't noticed cycling from blurred to clear every 2 seconds) but I don't want to leave this feature on.

Are the cameras that have this issue fully zoomed out in the video settings?

I'm asking because we've recently seen this behavior with old cameras (pro 2s), and zooming out the camera seems to eliminate the bad behavior.

@canyonjam wrote:

This happens continuously unless I enable autofocus

There is no autofocus control.  Do you mean auto track & zoom?

canyonjam
Star
Star

Sorry, yes: Auto Zoom & Tracking. I had autofocus on the brain and let it slip in where it didn't belong.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@canyonjam wrote:

Sorry, yes: Auto Zoom & Tracking. 

That reduces resolution from 2K to 1080p, so it could be part of the puzzle.

But start by making sure the camera is fully zoomed out on the video settings page.

canyonjam
Star
Star

I'm definitely all zoomed out in video settings.

One thing I noticed tonight: after the sun stopped hitting our backyard (sun's still out, but there's no direct sunlight hitting anything) the cyclical blurring seems to have stopped. Very strange. I guess bright light may have something to do with it? Who knows. Mysteries like this drive me nuts.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I wonder if the autoexposure is having an issue. Can you rotate the camera down to avoid direct sunlight on the lens?

Jfurnari03
Star
Star

I'm here to say I have the same camera's as you.  And I am experiencing the same exact thing.  All are zoomed out.    I tried with HDR On/Off..    2K on / off.. nothing makes a difference. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA0eVgreIvw

I have 3 Arlo pro4 cameras live on this

They blur for 2 seconds (like a buffering), and go clear.. and then 2 seconds later back to a blur..  it seems like it's very compressed video and doesn't show its true quality for a 2K camera by any means.  It barely holds 1080p quality in my opinion .. I don't know what's going on but I am glad I am not the only one.

Hopefully we can get a fix for this.

canyonjam
Star
Star

It's not just me! That shouldn't make me feel better but it does.

Yes, the video quality when it finally "clears" every few seconds is well below what I'd expect for a 2k camera. It's still very splotchy and blurry. It's like the compression is going nuts. Oddly, when the cyclic blurring subsides (when the light outside dims before sunset, possibly before full sunrise but I haven't checked that yet) the video appears to be full-quality. It's only when it's cycling with blurriness that the quality takes a nosedive.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jfurnari03 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA0eVgreIvw

I have 3 Arlo pro4 cameras live on this

They blur for 2 seconds (like a buffering), and go clear.. and then 2 seconds later back to a blur.. 

In the other case I've seen this, the i-frames (sent about every two seconds) are clear, but the p-frames in between are not.  If you post a direct link to the mp4 (not processed by youtube), I could take a look and see if your video has a similar problem.

Though the other case is different - a Pro 2 camera, and the problem only happens when the video is zoomed in.  Also, it only seemed to happen with a specific hardware revision of the Pro 2.

You could (probably should) contact paid support.  I'd push for an escalation to L3, as I think the normal troubleshooting scripts won't get you anywhere useful.

canyonjam
Star
Star

I could rotate the cameras, but one is always facing away from the sun (one's on my house looking out toward my backyard, the other is in the corner of my hard facing my house) so the sun is always not in one or the other's face, but both cameras have the cyclic blurring issue when it's bright outside. The one attached to my house is directly under the overhang (eave? my house terminology is weak) so even when the sun is sort of in front of it, it's not getting blasted by sun until the sun is positioned lower in the sky during sundown.

Jfurnari03
Star
Star

@JamesC .   Any idea of who this should be escalated to?  Only reason why I brought you up was because I spoke to you on the forums prior.  I believe you are the only one I have chatted with on the forums is all.  

Jfurnari03
Star
Star

it doesn't matter whether if it's bright or darker outside.. the issue happens anytime in daylight.. no matter which camera angle..  it's just seen less when the sun is brighter in certain area's but you can tell it still occurs.

canyonjam
Star
Star

Adding some video evidence of what's happening. Hopefully this site will allow me to upload videos. It looks like it's possible. I have two sets of videos: one for my "Backyard" camera attached to my house, and another for my "Backyard and alley" camera in a tree in the opposite corner of my yard from the Backyard camera. Each set has two videos: one "daytime" with the cyclic blurring, one "evening" with no cyclic blurring. I don't know if these help or are just curiosities, but I'm posting them in case they're useful.

Backyard and alley, "daytime" then "evening":

Backyard, "daytime" then "evening":

canyonjam
Star
Star

I'll try to contact support and see what they have to say. I did a web chat with support when I first tried to fix this issue but that ended up not helping. 

Jfurnari03
Star
Star

Appreciate you submitting that, let me know how that goes.

Bjohnson6626
Tutor
Tutor

I"m having the same issues with my arlo pro 4 cameras as well, they worked great for 6 months, but now they are all doing the same as yours. Let me know if find a resolution. I have arlo pro 2 on another house for 4 years now and have no issues at all.

ssvedlund
Tutor
Tutor

I just moved to a new house and reinstalled my cameras.  I am now experiencing the same issue as in this thread.  I have tried every setting with no improvement.  Please let me know if you get any resolution.

Jfurnari03
Star
Star

@JamesC   I worked with Kevin from support but I don't know how to reach there attention.  You know yourself how difficult it is to reach someone in America that can escalate these issues.  Other than doing the simple trial and error.  Multiple people have submitted the same issues we are having.  Atleast have the decency of replying and getting it to the right people.   Give us a JIRA ticket and letting us know this is a known issue and they are working on it.  This is why the forums are here.  Don't ask the customers to submit this directly and make us go through hoops to get a true tech support agent because 9 times out of 10 if doesn't make it to the end.  

We pay for this product and service.  I expect a reply of some sort here on the forums with some positive feedback that something will get done.  And whatever ignorance and lolligagging isn't getting us anywhere but talking to a wall.   Support us, give us something.  Why do I have to rant like this to get a response.    

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jfurnari03,

I apologize for the poor support experience. I've already escalated this issue and we're actively investigating these reports. Once I have more information to share, I will provide an update here.

JamesC

Jfurnari03
Star
Star

@JamesC @canyonjam 

I will send you videos I can share.  May canyon do the same as well?

canyonjam
Star
Star

I shared four videos earlier in this chat. I actually have a support incident that's being investigated now and the folks that are looking into my problem have a set of videos that I emailed to them, so I assume Arlo has my vids already. No updates have been received since I emailed the videos just a day or two ago. When I hear more, I'll be happy to share it here.

Barc
Luminary
Luminary

I'm having the exact same issue with all five of my Pro 4 cameras.  These cameras have many bugs (see below), but this is the worst because I can't get a clear video.

1. The zoom feature during live video stopped working a few months ago on the laptop app, but still works on the phone app.

2. The audio randomly has about a 10 second delay from the video.

3. When motion occurs during live viewing it causes the cameras to buffer and sometimes timeout.

4. Recording often starts after the moving object has passed the viewing area.

I'm sure there are more bugs but this is all I can think of off the top of my head.  I spent a ton of money on my Arlo cameras and seriously regret it.  I tried researching when I was ready to buy into security cameras and most of the reviews said Arlo was great.  However, my experience has been very frustrating.

I tell anyone I talk to who is looking at purchasing security cameras to stay away from Arlo and not waste their money.  The quality they promise and the quality they deliver are two completely different things.

ssvedlund
Tutor
Tutor

Any updates from Arlo on a solution?

canyonjam
Star
Star

I'm still working with Arlo support folks trying to narrow down the problem. My latest assignment is to switch cameras around and see if the problem persists. The camera on the side of our house hasn't blurred, but both cameras pointing at our backyard have blurred. I swapped the side-of-the-house camera and one backyard camera, and now I need to grab some video and send it in to show what's happening (the camera that moved to the backyard is now blurring). It's been a long process for sure. Hopefully this is getting closer to a resolution.

ssvedlund
Tutor
Tutor

I have cameras on 3 sides of my house with strong signal.  All 3 are experiencing the issue.

Discussion stats