Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Rbrumm
Follower
Follower

FrustratingI have three pro 4 cameras that I purchased for security on my house. Thes are high end cameras that won't stay connected to the wifi even when they are 10 feet away....well, one is near 30 feet and never disconnects. I have reset these things dozens of times. I will get them to connect in the house and once I put then on the mounts outside they disconnect. I'm running the eero wifi mesh system and I have 5 access points so there should be no reason they shouldn't stay connected!!! Yes, I disable the 5g so the cameras link to 2.4g. This is such crap!

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

RiahWillow,

If your cameras are going offline intermittently, this is likely an indication of a connectivity issue. What does the signal strength icon show for the cameras when they are online?

JamesC

35 REPLIES 35
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since they work inside the house it would appear to be a signal strength and/or quality issue. House construction can cause this (think stucco, brick or stone) as well things on/in the walls the signal has to pass through. There's also the possibility of 2.4GHz wireless interference from some device.

Greg_Midi
Tutor
Tutor

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing poor performance with these things. The two camera system I recently bought is causing me frustration with the way they intermittently go offline and Disarm mode may or may not work. Overall the integration between the cameras and the iPhone app is just sluggish and often non-responsive.

I'm sure they'd be inclined to blame my WiFi but we pay extra for higher speed through Mediacom, my wife had them setup a 2.4g specific connection and anything else connected to our home network works just fine.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Greg_Midi,

If your cameras are going offline intermittently, this is likely an indication of a connectivity issue. What does the signal strength icon show for the cameras when they are online?

JamesC

Greg_Midi
Tutor
Tutor

Unless there's another way to view, the typical wifi bars appear strong, it's unlikely to be a signal strength problem. I stopped turning them off/on and try just to use the disarm. They do however continue to go offline randomly for no apparent reason.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Greg_Midi,

If the WiFi icon shows full and you're still experiencing issues with the device dropping offline, I recommend that you contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Greg_Midi
Tutor
Tutor

I have an interesting update....

We recently moved from the upper midwest to the southwest (IA to NV) and these cameras seem to work a whole lot better with the internet connection we have now. This is hard to explain or understand, in both of these areas we have/had the highest bandwidth connection available. In the old place we had little to no trouble with any other wifi devices other than these cameras but now they seem to work just as well as any other of our wifi devices.

The problem was obviously network related but the why is baffling.

Ddthuang
Tutor
Tutor

I guess it's a good thing that your cameras are working now despite that the cause of the connection issue is still unkown. I had similar issue and one change that made some improvement is that assigning static IP to my cameras. The cameras can still go offline but very rarely now. I suspected IP conflict could be one of the reasons why cameras can go offline occasionally but this is yet to be confirmed by Arlo official.

Allan914
Initiate
Initiate

I have been having problem with the Camera stay connected... I have called Supporting Several times they keep hanging up on me and I am yet to get the issue resolved... I paid too much for the cameras to be going thru this mess 

I am lost and wish I could take them back I have only had them 3 months I also have a pro two I just both and it will not connect...  I am so frustrated at myself for spending my hard earn money on this system

Ddthuang
Tutor
Tutor
Does the same problem occur if you put your camera right next to your router? If yes then the cause may be your router or ISP. If not, then run camera positioning test in Arlo app and see how strong the signal is, and gradually move the camera away until the signal starts to drop, your current position may be just outside the idea signal range. All the best.
Greg_Midi
Tutor
Tutor

So looking a little deeper it turns out that our former connection, which was the fastest available, was only up to 300mbps while this new connection is as high as 1000mbps. Perhaps the bandwidth/speed is the differentiator here.

Maverick_30223
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem! Arlo tech told me to use the Pro Hub to fix it.

Hugh_
Tutor
Tutor
My Arlo Pro 4 3 camera system had been working well for about a month. Now all cameras have suddenly lost connection twice in 24 hours. The only b way to get them back online seems to be removing the battery momentarily (hard reset). I don't think it is a network connectivity issue, the signals are strong and they were working just fine. I'm wondering if there has been a firmware update that is causing problems.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Hugh_  I'm wondering if there has been a firmware update that is causing problems.

The lasted FW update listed in the FAQ at the top of this forum is September. 

Hugh_
Tutor
Tutor
Hugh_
Tutor
Tutor
Jmarsden
Tutor
Tutor
I’m having all these same issues. Had 3 of them for about a month now and worked completely fine up until yesterday. One went offline, got it working. Second one went offline and can’t get it back online. The camera works fine up until I go to scan the QR code then it just completely stops blinking. I wish I never would of bought these things, definitely not worth the money spent.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hugh_, Jmarsden

Consider removing the camera from your account, factory reset using the steps in the article linked below, plug the camera in using an Arlo charging cable and then attempt onboarding again. Do you still experience the same behavior?

How do I factory reset and re-sync my Arlo camera?

JamesC

Jmarsden
Tutor
Tutor
The factory reset just worked yes. Thank you!
Arashm
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue with my Arlo Pro 4 and Orbi mesh
Arashm
Aspirant
Aspirant
Please let me know if there is anyway to fix the issue as they keep dripping off randomly
RiahWillow
Initiate
Initiate
I have been using and swearing by Arlo since the first cameras came out. I have upgraded to the Pro4 from Pro3 and I has been the worst decision I have ever made! We cannot get them to stay connected for more than 10 seconds at a time.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RiahWillow,

JamesC

Maverick_30223
Aspirant
Aspirant
That was the problem JamesC. I moved the camera and got a stronger signal, works fine now.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
I am currently having the same issues with 3 of 6 Arlo Pro 4’s. Both sets are not even a year old. They worked perfectly on my Orbi Mesh until I needed to swap the batteries out. I purchased Arlo brand solar panels for 5 of the 6 and that when it started for me. One of them requires factory restart every time and will not last a day. The other two were fine for a few days. All cameras within 60’ of both bases. Before the battery replacement, I had two of them over 300’ away with no issue.
Discussion stats