Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ydwivedi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought this bundle from Costco in December 2021 - 3 cameras with Arlo SmartHub Base Station. I have hooked up local storage backup using USB device (purchased separately ) and connected well and was happy.  I had never activated Arlo Free Subscriptions during the course of 3 months (never required). I was getting all alerts and notifications that i wanted from this system till one week ago. All of a sudden it stopped working - couldn't access recording saved locally to my Base Station. 

I was checking all my connections and space left on the USB device until Yesterday, i got a popup (see attachment) on my smart phone registered for monitoring of security Cameras that says "Missing your video library? - Activate Arlo Secure to re-enable 30 day video history. Activity Zones and more. Come back and save 25%"

I was stunned and never expected this message. It is not clear *anywhere* on the box that alerts from locally saved files from SmartHub would require paid Arlo subscription. I will certainly return this bundle IF this is the case but like to check with my Community (experts) first. There are other security cameras available NVR category of local 2gb storage (similar cost) that has all alert notification and access to recordings, i will rather buy. Costco has good return policy (Thanks God)!.

MissingYourVideoLibrary.jpg
10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ydwivedi wrote:

It is not clear *anywhere* on the box that alerts from locally saved files from SmartHub would require paid Arlo subscription. 

A subscription isn't required if you have a VMB4540 smarthub - though there are some limitations to direct access to local storage.

FWIW, you should have been automatically (silently) opted in to the 3 month trial.  Are you 100% sure you were using direct access to local storage before?  If you were seeing thumbnails when you accessed the recordings, then you were actually using cloud storage ( using the trial subscription).  Also, you would have needed to select the base station when accessing the library.

Maybe review the setup instruction here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...

It might also be useful to eject the USB drive and look for recordings on it - just to make sure it is an issue with access, and not with recording.

ydwivedi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your response. I trying to login to my Arlo account and unable and will be following your setup instructions once login issue gets resolved. One thing is clear that I do not want to pay for subscription!

Here is response to your other thoughts:

1. "you should have been automatically (silently) opted in to the 3 month trial" - I am 100% sure that i have not opted the trial options. I remember seeing that option/ offering till the last day of trial period. I didn't care joining the trial based on my reading from Arlo community as I was happy with the alerts and video access capabilities - which i believe was using USB storage from base station (my understanding). I am try to validate this theory based on your instructions provided and will update this thread once login issue is resolved.

2. Trust this browser - after two factor authentication provided - Login 'my.arlo.com' is still not working today. I have cleared off Chrome browser history and rebooted my laptop as per some suggestions. Tried using Edge didn't help either. The behavior is similar to what is described on Arlo community thread - see attachment.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Unable-to-log-into-account/m-p/1846178

Unable-to-login-My.Arlo Account.jpg
ydwivedi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

#3 I tried to my iPhone safari browser to login to my Arlo account that has Arlo apps installed for alert notification. Its enforcing me (kind of) to pay for subscription. It passed 'trust this browser" step and presented the screen - see attachment.

It did not provide an option to proceed to login (wanted to verify Direct Storage setup again) -Other than "Subscribe Now" button on the screen which you can see. This is creating further doubts in my mind. Would you please share your thoughts why login attempts are failing, what is required to address?

Thanks again!

Yogi

Arlo Forcing to Pay Subscription to Login.jpg
ydwivedi
Aspirant
Aspirant

#4 - Connected using Arlo APPS on my cellphone and verified Direct Storage setting "ready" status and available free space 230GB - see attachments 'DirectStoirageSetting1 and DirectStoirageSetting2'.

Stephen, please let me know if you notice anything missing. Thank you for all of your assistance in establishing my  confidence in Arlo products. 

DirectStorageSetting1.PNG
ydwivedi
Aspirant
Aspirant

2nd attachment.

DirectStoirageSetting2.PNG
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

On the PC browser issue:  Have you tried the "don't trust" option, to see if that lets you complete the log in?  

Direct Access:  It looks like it is set up correctly for access to the videos when your phone is on your home wifi.  Port forwarding is not enabled - not sure if you simply aren't interested in accessing videos when away, or if you are using a VPN.

Have you ejected the USB storage, and confirmed that there are recent recordings on the drive (using a PC)?

Some folks are seeing some issues with direct access at the moment (I believe Arlo is still investigating).  It isn't working on one of my base stations (VMB5000, not VMB4540) (telling me that "Videos stored on <base station name> are not available.  Please check your connection settings." ).  It's clearly not the connection settings, since the other base is working, and I have confirmed that videos are being stored on the microSD card.

JIggyfly0
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nice to know I'm not alone.  I had the exact same scenario happen to me and am still unable to fix it.  I received the package as a gift.   I get a message when I try to open my base station library that says "There was an error obtaining you library.  Arlo team is working on this issue. Try again." It has been this way for about a week know.  I've re-installed the app. on my phone and that didn't help either.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JIggyfly0 wrote:

I get a message when I try to open my base station library that says "There was an error obtaining you library.  Arlo team is working on this issue. Try again." It has been this way for about a week know.  I've re-installed the app. on my phone and that didn't help either.  

What phone model?  What OS version is it running?

Is the app allowed to access your local wifi network?

Does this happen when you are connecting to your home wifi, or only when you are away?

ydwivedi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

This is a low priority item for me now but wanted to keep thread continuity by responding to the last updates provided. Appreciate all your help, made some progress.

"Port forwarding is not enabled - not sure if you simply aren't interested in accessing videos when away".

Ans: Port forwarding is not enabled however I am interested in enabling it so that I could access videos when away. Please note that somehow I am able to get recording from my  local storage and can see recorded footage following alerts received on my phone. One thing missing is that it doesn't share details (possible animal, vehicle or human being i used to get before). Could you please provide me instructions for enabling PORT forwarding?

"What phone model, OS version running"

Ans: Iphone 12 version 15.5.

Thank you, Yogi

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ydwivedi wrote:

Could you please provide me instructions for enabling PORT forwarding?

There are two steps in your router settings - the details there depend on the router.

1. enable port forwarding for each smarthub in the app.  Note the port number it gives you.
  2. set up the router to reserve a local IP address for the smarthub(s). That ensures the local IP address of the smarthub won't change if the router reboots (for example if there is a power failure).
  3. set up the router to forward the port from (1) to the the smarthub's local IP address.  It's probably best to forward both UDP and TCP to that port (if the router gives you settings for that).

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation