Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
baumbachaflocka
Follower
Follower

The old app worked great with geofencing, it would not arm unless every device left the area. Now it always arms if just 1 person leaves. My system is configuration is the following: anyone arrives> standby, everyone leaves> arm away

They are both set to always enabled and I have made sure that both my devices are setup correctly with always allowing precise location, notifications and do not have battery saver on. Its so frustrating because the old app worked great and the new one is so bad and we were forced to switch when we added the new cameras.

More info there is 1 iphone and 1 android phone used for geofencing, I have it set to the largest area and no other automations except for the geofencing ones.

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hi,

Can you try utilizing this setup for your schedules with the Arrive/Leave feature and let me know the results?

1. Select Routines > Automations > Select the (+) to create the desired schedules (When created, schedules will be listed under the Schedules section)

2. Create and enable the Arrive automation under > Select Automations > Select the (+) > Add Action > Change Mode > Select Standby > Next > Add an Action > Enable/Disable an Automation > Select the desired schedule > Next > Select Enable > Next

3.  Create and enable the Leave automation under > Select Automations > Select the (+) > Add Action > Change Mode > Select Arm Away > Next > Add an Action > Enable/Disable an Automation > Select the desired schedule > Next > Select Disable > Next  > Save

When completed you should see your options listed under the Arrive/Leave section under Automations

Thank you 

236 REPLIES 236
alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@alex_loo wrote:

Can't imagine there is such product that says you can skip subscription and then when it reports something, you can't see what has been reported. 

Have you seen this?

It gives more details on what you lose when you don't subscribe.

read it (again) and am more certain I don't need subscription.

@StephenB wrote:

There are some situations where you don't need (or want) storage.  For instance, if you use a camera in a baby's room, you usually just want the live view (and likely are turning off notifications).  FWIW, even if you cannot see any captured video, you can immediately look at the live camera view when you get the notification.  

I find getting playing live right after receiving notification of very limited use.  Due to the huge time lack there.  Every time when I play live, the reported thing is already gone almost every time.  Playback of storage can at least give a highlight of the notification.

Well, unless for the case when somebody is breaking.  After receiving notification, hopefully I can play live and be able to see the burglar still walking around after a few minutes.

Alex

rmand2601
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve been an Arlo customer for years. System always worked. Upgraded to new app - geo fencing stopped working.

Have updated active device
Have updated geo locations for home and away
Have ensured that phone geolocation is working.
Can see that in Away mode - Arlo app is showing current location
Can trigger mode changes manually through app.

It still will not change modes (Home versus Away) when I leave home area.

What to do now?

BTW - the new app is horrible! UI is non-intuitive. 

Please help fix this or I’ll just go buy a new system from someone else.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Start by reading this FAQ and the links in it:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

Geofencing can be a bit of an issue. First any phone used must always be logged in. Then the setup can be tricky if using schedules or some of the undocumented options. Screenshots of your GF automations may be useful for suggestions. Also, try switching between Everyone Leaves/Arrives and Specific People which seems to make a difference for me.

rmand2601
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the input. I've read the FAQ previously and completed all suggestions. I've had the Arlo for years - no problems. This all started when I updated to the new Arlo app. I've switched between "Everyone Leaves"/"Specfic People". I've deleted active devices, re-installed app, resaved geo location, etc. Makes me think this is an app/iOS version issue as I also updated my iPhone recently to 17.7. Does v18 have this issue?

Other people on Reddit have reported geo issues with new app. One guy just manually switches between Home/Away - he's just given up. 

Thoughts?

IMG_1675.pngIMG_1676.png

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@jguerdat wrote:

Start by reading this FAQ and the links in it:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

Reading this AGAIN and this is not my first time seeing suggestions on these FAQ type of documents.  They have nicely documented the features that are on offer.

THE ONLY PROBLEM IS, THE APPS ARE SO BUGGY THEY ARE SIMPLY NOT DOING WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.

And then users like us keep wondering whether it's our fault with the config/ setting blah blah blah --- eventually getting nowhere.  It's the BUG with the ARLO software!

@jguerdat wrote:

Geofencing can be a bit of an issue. First any phone used must always be logged in. Then the setup can be tricky if using schedules or some of the undocumented options.

Personally I don't find the necessary setup tricky.  It's actually making sense to me.

Well, *IF* it ever works.

Alex

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@rmand2601 wrote:

Other people on Reddit have reported geo issues with new app. One guy just manually switches between Home/Away - he's just given up. 

Thoughts?

hi @rmand2601 , I am with you that geofencing is not working properly.

I used the term "properly", since:

• There are quite a few times I have seen geofencing (everybody leaves then trigger; anyone returns then trigger) WORKING --- yes, working, but NOT always.  For example, it *often* fails with my wife's iPhone returning home but NOT triggering (when it should).  And still, I have seen a few times the same situation WORKS (to my surprise/amazed haha).  This tells me that the geofencing issue has nothing to do with any wrong app setup.  ARLO app is just NOT consistent with its geofencing behaviour, for some reason out of our control.

• The fact that many people like you reporting "app was perfect before!" points to that the issue has nothing to do with android/iOS/hardware device --- since these haven't changed from "perfect" to "not working".  The only thing that's changed is the app, which is apparently buggy.

I'd say bug is not end of world, but ARLO needs to acknowledge it and socialize any interim solution and upcoming fix schedule.  Instead of letting desparate users like me yelling like a mad man here.

Alex

rmand2601
Tutor
Tutor

So it would seem that others in the Arlo user base are having geofencing problems. This is an Arlo support community hosted by Arlo. No one from the company is present on this or other related threads? Am I missing something here? They have a bug - the problem is reproducible by too many people - but no one is around to address this issue here or on Reddit? They don't have a user support team or a QA team? No timeline to fix the app, define a workaround, etc

People here seem to be interacting with the best intentions. But a bug or app failure is something that a company addresses with its user base.

What's going on here? Is this company on life support? 

grahamam107
Aspirant
Aspirant

@rmand2601 my assumption is that Arlo is a totally unethical company that uses high school work experience students to write their software.  I am in Australia, and if Arlo were an Australian company I would have long ago pursued them through the Australian Competition and Consumer Affairs Commission (ACCC).  I assume there are some US users on this thread?  Are there any similar US bodies that a consumer complaint against Arlo could be raised?  If so, I would be seeking a refund of the cost of subscription since the app was upgraded, plus the total cost of all cameras and base station that have been made useless by the app upgrade.

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@grahamam107 wrote:

I am in Australia, and if Arlo were an Australian company I would have long ago pursued them through the Australian Competition and Consumer Affairs Commission (ACCC).

hi @grahamam107 , Australia (Sydney) here too 😁

Understand ARLO is an US company.  Are you saying they can't be sued thru ACCC?  They have ARLO Australia office anyhow.

Alex

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmand2601 wrote:

Thanks for the input. I've read the FAQ previously and completed all suggestions. I've had the Arlo for years - no problems. This all started when I updated to the new Arlo app. I've switched between "Everyone Leaves"/"Specfic People". I've deleted active devices, re-installed app, resaved geo location, etc. Makes me think this is an app/iOS version issue as I also updated my iPhone recently to 17.7. Does v18 have this issue?

Everyone Leave/Anyone Arrive is working on my iPhone 12 mini (which is running iOS 17.7).  The app version is 5.02.

Your Arrive Automation appears to be configured incorrectly.  It appears to be set to only run when the system is already in Arm Home mode (and it then switches to Arm Home mode - so it accomplishes nothing).   Arrive needs to be enabled in whatever mode you switch to when you leave.   Similarly, Leave needs to be enabled in whatever modes you use when you are home.  The simplest thing is to enable both automations in all modes.

rmand2601
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB Thanks for the suggestion - it worked! Appreciate the help. Not to be presumptuous, but there are enough people having geofencing problems with the new app version that if you felt like doing a general post here or on Reddit, you might solve a few problems. Can't say for sure that they are all related to Automation modes.

My opinion...the UI on the new app is hugely non intuitive. Some of the configuration requirements (like the one I was having) being non-obvious. I presume Arlo, being a small company, does not have an internal UX team or outsources much of the app code. 

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

Everyone Leave/Anyone Arrive is working on my iPhone 12 mini (which is running iOS 17.7).  The app version is 5.02.

Hi @StephenB , are you having more than 1 device in your setup?

I have main account on Android app (feed version), plus wife's iPhone logging in the my same ARLO account.  Standard geofencing automation (all deviecs away then switch to ARM AWAY; 1 device back then switch to ARM HOME).

I have seen above geofencing WORKING.  Trouble is: they are not working all the time.  Examples:

• When both devices are away and ARLO correctly at ARM AWAY, wife's iPhone returning home does NOT trigger geofencing back to ARM HOME.  This issue is on an "often" level.  Remaning times working fine.
  • When both devices are away and ARLO correctly at ARM AWAY, both devices returning home together does NOT trigger geofencing back to ARM HOME.  This issue is on a "sometimes" level.  Remaning times working fine.
  • Both devices are at home and ARLO correctly at ARM HOME.  When both devices are leaving home together (driving out), geofencing does NOT trigger to ARM AWAY.  This issue is on a "sometimes" level.  Remaning times working fine.

Thoughts?

Alex