Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
SteveXYZ
Guide
Guide

In trying to set up this camera, I can't get past the firmware update step.  It took forever to get the camera to connect to the WiFi router, but now I get repeated messages "Checking for firmware  update failed" and cannot get to the next stage.  Two other cameras went through the process without this problem.

36 REPLIES 36
XMLS
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same problem.

I have removed the device and reattempted several times.

I can't use Arlo advice (below) for manual firmware update as there is no Firmware option under Device Info (probably not available until camera successfully added?).

1. Launch the Arlo app or log in to my.arlo.com.
  2. Tap or click Settings > My Devices. 
  3. Select your SmartHub or base station.
  4. Tap or click Device Info > Firmware > Update.

I found somewhere that battery must be charged 15% for firmware update to be possible. My battery was fully charged.

I'm out of ideas other than to return to retailer as faulty.

This is the 4th of a 4 pack, the other 3 were fine.

I would be interested in any suggestions.

SteveXYZ
Guide
Guide

So why doesn't Arlo provide any technical support to overcome problems like this and why don't they provide any documentation?  We pay hundreds of dollars to buy their systems and they don't have technical support to solve these problems (other than the useless chatbot that can only give canned answers to canned questions).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're still experiencing this issue, consider factory resetting the camera and make sure the battery is fully charged. Attempt onboarding again after the factory reset and test to see if you still experience the same behavior.

How do I factory reset and re-sync my Arlo camera?

JamesC

RHazz
Aspirant
Aspirant
XMLS
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for reply JamesC.

I mentioned in my initial post the battery was fully changed.

I did not mentioned, but did carry out, numerous factory resets.

This camera seems to be unpredictable in many ways, any combination of the following:

- not connecting to wi-fi,

- firmware won't update,

- warning of "internal error" on the Name your Arlo Camera step,

- app detecting camera SN, but not hardware or firmware,

- not responding to the QR code

As a result it has been returned to the retailer. We'll see what they do.

SteveXYZ
Guide
Guide

I went through that process multiple times without success, and kept getting the message "Checking for firmware update failed".  After a week away on travel (without a properly working system) the camera seems to be in limbo where it's not connected to the network and I can't even get to a repeat of the setup process.  How do I get some real support to fix this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming we're still talking a Pro 4 camera, I'd try removing the camera from your account, use the reset procedure on the camera by holding the hidden Sync button on the camera for >15 seconds and add it back to your account.

XMLS
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

I had also tried you suggestion to no avail.

XMLS
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo have replaced the camera. The replacement one worked effortlessly, as did the first 3.

SteveXYZ
Guide
Guide

I have done that several times, with no success, with camera still not recognized.  I may be having difficulty because my computer and phone both go on the 5GHz channel on my router, and multiple attempts with the settings on the router, computer and phone have failed to force either of them onto the 2.4GHz channel on the router.  Two other cameras were able to get up and running on 2.4 GHz under the same circumstances.

XMLS
Tutor
Tutor

All our cameras just seem to use the 2.4Ghz by themselves. This is good, as we would have no idea how to force them to.

rarbanas
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is driving me crazy, I had issues with my first 6 Arlo Pros 4, was difficult to update firmware, remove battery, remove device, add again, make sure the battery is full or device on charger, having GbE, etc... After a while I managed to somehow (some cameras miraculously came alive over night / might be some overnight firmware delivery...) make them work, even today I do not have mic working but OK, at least I can connect to my 6 cameras for live feed and motion detection is working... But this last batch of 3 cameras is impossible to update, the first time firmware update fails and then when trying manually constantly reverts back to 'Firmware update available'... I now have 3 bricks and support case under #42914007 with support person asking me to 'reinstall app' and remove device, sending me links (!) how to do it... So, the Arlo support does not have basic telemetry, eg showing attempts to update firmware based on MAC, or other, assigned to specific user account... I am giving up, even for low end consumer devices / services this is too much, will simply throw it into garbage where they belong

SteveXYZ
Guide
Guide

I finally had to hire a network expert to come to my house to get past the problem by setting up a separate WiFi router that he could force onto 2.4 GHz to do the setup.  This took 2 hours of effort, at considerable expense, because the Arlo system is such garbage and they provide zero customer support to deal with problems caused by their terrible system design. 

rarbanas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, when I had challenges with first 6 cameras I've setup the network from scratch, it's based on optical 1Gb connection, Unifi GbE, the best ACs, including one strong outdoor antenna I'm using indoor as well, supporting 2,4GHz, so, all corners of the house inside and outside are covered with at least 150/200 download / upload without any funny 'cascading' that might cause broadcasting issues (eg when initially 'finding cameras', etc). So, it is really frustrating to have to spend all this time fiddling around with 'Firmware update available' - I might rather start sending heads up to EU agencies for protecting consumer rights, as both devices (eg Mic not working on cameras I managed to setup, others are bricks...) and services capabilities (eg 'setup your security system in 10 mins') as Arlo advertised are are super off compared to reality. 

rarbanas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to clarify, 150/200 on 5GHz of course, for Arlo's mandatory 2,4 WLAN corresponding strong numbers as well, at least in the range of 50/70 and up.

rarbanas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Let me start by thanking Fardeen from Arlo Europe support. After suggesting to use pure mobile hotspot to try firmware update cameras I did the following and it worked:

- Have created mobile hotspot on my phone making sure it is WIFI sharing only pure provider LTE

- Have connected PC on the above hotspot and via https://my.arlo.com/#/home started the process of adding device using mobile hotspot SSID and corresponding PWD

- Have done the usual steps on the camera, press/hold sync button until flashing amber and then blue to read 2D barcode and get the chime

- The usual process started 'checking for firmware update...' that quickly transitioned to 'Updating firmware' that was failing before

- Update firmware was successful this time and was then just clicking through until camera active

- After that I have stopped mobile hotspot WIFI and re-connected phone back to home 2,4 WLAN I have setup for cameras

- Using Arlo app on mobile I then removed the camera (that was set on mobile hotspot) and added it again as usual, this time the 'checking for firmware update' found that firmware was up to date and allowed me to complete the process

- During the previous step for one camera Arlo app could not find 'nearby devices', but after 'trying again' it found the camera and completed the process

Now, the challenge remains when the new firmware update comes - seems I'll have to do the process again (remove cameras, add them using mobile hotspot and back...). but at least I know there is a workaround now...

So, thanks again Fardeen, hope the above writeup helps people with similar 'Firmware update available' (but you cannot install it 🙂 challenge... Robert

Reg20
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been dealing with this exact same problem and support tells me I need to purchase new cameras even though Arlo firmware update caused my cameras to stop working. I have done every known troubleshooting with support and what I could find on the internet.

STPHCO
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, one of the 4 cameras wont load firmware, the other 3 did, tried multiple times using the same procedure after failing

• by removing device,
  • making sure camera has been charged (can't determine the level until it has been online), 
  • resetting by holding down button for 15 seconds
  • the camera reads the barcode and is recognised (found) 

but time and time again the firmware fails

I didn't realise how intermittent/complex the WiFi issues were after watching video after video all saying how easy it was.

It appears there is no ARLO tech that can explain why this happens on this forum but it seems to be a bug that they should have solutions from some support knowledge database?

PS Turned on WiFi hotspot but had to turn off WiFi on my Android smartphone, but adding camera requires WiFi, so that didn't work

STPHCO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good news, after my 5th attempt it worked, so there must be something temperamental with the process and not a bug 

rarbanas
Aspirant
Aspirant
great to hear... I have also noticed that when using PC camera discovery only works with Goog Chrome. When using MS Edge it will not discover nearby cameras... so, it is really cumbersome, first - for the next firmware update going through the 'pure mobile hotspot' process again (yes, just had to do it again as there was 'new update available' and of course I was not able to push it via home Unifi based wifi...)... and then knowing that only Chrome works when changing / registering cameras back again on home wifi... terrible engineering on Arlo's part
Cheryl_
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I just return it to Costco? I have one that will not update the firmware. I keep trying it - un-forgot camera and re hooked up, still nothing. Crazy how 1 out of 3 worked great

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cheryl_,

Is the camera fully charged? What does the signal strength icon show?

JamesC

Cheryl_
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have attached pictures, full battery and full strength.
My other camera will not let me set up activity area without being on power, I set it up and unplug the power and it says the same thing, maybe the battery isn't working? Or I have it setup wrong.Screenshot_20220703-164648_Arlo Secure.jpgScreenshot_20220703-112755_Arlo Secure.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Cheryl_ wrote:

My other camera will not let me set up activity area without being on power, I set it up and unplug the power and it says the same thing, maybe the battery isn't working? Or I have it setup wrong.

Activity zones either need the camera to be AC powered (not with a solar panel), or need a subscription for the camera.

Discussion stats