Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cant get my SSD external drive

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Phil761
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am trying to connect my SSD external drive to my base station but it wouldn't recognize the SSD drive , I formatted it to FAT 32 and still the SSD drive wouldn't show in the app at my devices .

any one has a clue how I can solve this ?  I have a Arlo pro 4 system .thank u phil.K

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Phil761 wrote:

I am trying to connect my SSD external drive to my base station but it wouldn't recognize the SSD drive , I formatted it to FAT 32 and still the SSD drive wouldn't show in the app at my devices .

any one has a clue how I can solve this ? 

Try connecting the drive to a Windows PC, and running the Windows Disk Manager.  If the drive has multiple partitions (Windows will call them "volumes"), then delete them and create a single new partition.  Then reformat.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suppose it could be that the SSD is using power in excess of what the USB port can deliver. That's one reason I suggest using a thumb drive instead - much smaller, cheaper and easier to physically manage.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

I suppose it could be that the SSD is using power in excess of what the USB port can deliver. That's one reason I suggest using a thumb drive instead - much smaller, cheaper and easier to physically manage.

That is a possibility since the base station port is USB 2 (the USB 2 power spec is 5 v @ 500 mw).  If the drive can be externally powered, then try that.

Unfortunately it's rather difficult to track down power requirements for external drives.

Phil761
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi 

so my hub recognize the SSD externale drive and say status is good and all that but it still wouldnt record to the local storage, the SSD is formated to fat 32 , is there something i am missing that i didnt do 

thanks 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Phil761 wrote:

Hi 

so my hub recognize the SSD externale drive and say status is good and all that but it still wouldnt record to the local storage, the SSD is formated to fat 32 , is there something i am missing that i didnt do 

thanks 

How large is the drive? 

The hub power is limited to USB 2.0 specs, so if you have an external power adapter for the drive, you might try using that.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation