Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

I have to say Arlo firmware or the apps seem to be getting worse, on the current Pro 4 firmware 1.080.16.2_16_7838050 not only does the percentage not change till the camera is fully charged, you can update it by pressing live view then the camera will update its percentage but wont until its fully charged otherwise, but when the internet goes down as it did today the camera just won't reconnect, you end up having to remove the battery and put it back in. Yes I've tried all the trouble shooting steps and I'm tired of doing this.

Considering the price of these units I really don't expect these bugs. It feels like with each update its one step forwards 2 steps back. This reconnection issue needs to be resolved and as a disabled user I bought these cameras for security, not to waste my carers and my time reconnecting them when every other device reconnects just fine after the internet comes back up (Netgear RAX120 Firmware 1.2.2.24) Come on Arlo get this sorted along with the never ending battery percentage bugs (iOS 15.0.2 using a iPhone 13 Pro and a 3rd generationiPad Pro 1TB) and the latest app 3.4.6 as of typing this.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New firmware is now available for Arlo Pro 4 and Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras containing fixes that should help alleviate the issue being discussed here. Please make sure your cameras have automatically updated to the latest firmware and test again to see if the behavior has improved.

JamesC

60 REPLIES 60
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote:

It makes me wonder about the possibility of a duplicate IP address?   The router reassigns some other device the Pro 4's IP after it comes back up from a power outage?    

This would be unlikely with several cameras simultaneously, and if it did happen a duplicate IP address would still work intermittently unless there is some anti-spoofing feature on the router that blocks duplicates.  That said, a DHCP reservation is something Arlo support recommended when I opened a ticket.  I had a hub, it didn't apply to me, it was clear the support person was copying and pasting steps with little or no understanding of what was being asked of me, but still - it seems Arlo support think DHCP reservations are important.  It could be something along these lines though - some security feature on the router that blocks communication to devices that haven't jumped through all the hoops, whatever those hoops might be, and that this feature gets reset when the WAN connection comes back up?  Causing it to distrust devices that don't respond to some 'test' or 'refresh' operation the router does when the WAN connection comes up?  Maybe a DHCP reservation gets around it by giving specific MAC addresses a 'trusted' status?

It's impossible to know without a very deep knowledge of both the camera and the router.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

@StephenB wrote:
It makes me wonder about the possibility of a duplicate IP address?   The router reassigns some other device the Pro 4's IP after it comes back up from a power outage?    

This would be unlikely with several cameras simultaneously,

Agreed, though conceivable if there are a lot of wifi devices on the network.

One challenge with the user forum is that we hear from folks with a particular problem, but generally don't hear from people with the same cameras (or base if relevant) who aren't having the problem.  It would be useful to know if there are Pro 4 users whose cameras are reconnecting after an outage.

Larry53
Tutor
Tutor

I have 6 Arlo Pro 4 cameras, with an Linksys AC 3000 Mesh Router with a 250 Meg internet connection. I have cameras go offline all by themselves and not the same cameras, it could be any one of the six and I have never lost an internet connection, sometimes they come back online all by themselves but most of the time I have to pull the battery and reinstall it. It really sucks when I have to go to the garage and get a ladder out and climb it, especially if it's rainy or cold outside.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Larry53 wrote:

I have 6 Arlo Pro 4 cameras, with an Linksys AC 3000 Mesh Router with a 250 Meg internet connection. I have cameras go offline all by themselves and not the same cameras, it could be any one of the six and I have never lost an internet connection, sometimes they come back online all by themselves but most of the time I have to pull the battery and reinstall it. It really sucks when I have to go to the garage and get a ladder out and climb it, especially if it's rainy or cold outside.

This a firmware bug but you'll never get Arlo to admit that they've had a camera on the market for a year and still haven't fixed it.  This 'long term review' from a guy on YouTube is indicative.  He lives out in the woods and had one Pro 4 go offline by itself over the course of a few months.  Indications from others on this forum and elsewhere suggest that the greater the level of WiFi interference caused by nearby networks (relative to strength of signal you get to/from a camera) the more likely it is that a Pro 4 will go offline by itself and need a reset.  Your case would be a good test of this if you want to spend a lot of time investigating - whether choice of WiFi channel and persuading your neighbors to use non-overlapping channels makes a significant difference to how frequently the Pro 4 (one camera at a time) will go offline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xf7bOpld1I

Larry53
Tutor
Tutor

I saw that video before I purchased my cameras, it was one reason I purchased them. I thought that the cameras would be a good choice but now I'm kinda thinking it was a mistake. I live in the country also and only have two neighbors with the closest one being approximately 1/8 mile away so I doubt that there would be any interference with their Wi-Fi overlapping mine. Hopefully Arlo will eventually put out an update to correct this problem.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Larry53 wrote:

I saw that video before I purchased my cameras, it was one reason I purchased them. I thought that the cameras would be a good choice but now I'm kinda thinking it was a mistake. I live in the country also and only have two neighbors with the closest one being approximately 1/8 mile away so I doubt that there would be any interference with their Wi-Fi overlapping mine. Hopefully Arlo will eventually put out an update to correct this problem.

The farthest away that a network which I was able to detect with a WiFi analyzer (no high-gain antenna) with a signal strength that was capable of interfering with signal reception at one of my SmartHubs from the camera with the weakest signal strength was around 650 meters away - just shy of half a mile.  That SmartHub was in an attic space and so was exposed to a lot of interference - just the roofing material and air between it and a bunch of neighbor's houses in the distance.  You would not believe how tricky it was to figure that out or what I had to do to partially shield that attic space from interference coming from certain directions.  Even then, the problem of cameras going offline one by one wasn't fully resolved, just improved.  In your case though the interference could be coming from inside your own house - worth checking what channels the mesh devices are all using and which channel the hub is on.  Also worth checking for other sources of interference - old baby monitors and cordless phones for example.

The portion of this video from timestamps 7:20 to 9:40 or so might help to understand how mesh devices can cause problems - depending on where they're placed, where the cameras are placed, and what channels everything is using, it's entirely possible for the interference to be coming from inside the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noB-GaOZCzQ

col1958
Tutor
Tutor

My cameras aren't connected to a mesh yet if the internet goes down - even for a reboot, they don't reconnect. I tried it with my old modem/router still the same problem. I have few other devices connected and they are connected to the higher band channel (not 2.4)

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@col1958 wrote:

My cameras aren't connected to a mesh yet if the internet goes down - even for a reboot, they don't reconnect. I tried it with my old modem/router still the same problem. I have few other devices connected and they are connected to the higher band channel (not 2.4)

Yes, sorry, the issue of individual cameras going offline one by one seemingly at random and all cameras going offline when the internet connection drops are separate issues.  Apologies for getting off-topic.

Larry53
Tutor
Tutor

I woke up this morning at 4:30am and my cameras were installing a firmware update. I hope this was for the cameras going offline and not coming back on without a hard reboot.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New firmware is now available for Arlo Pro 4 and Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras containing fixes that should help alleviate the issue being discussed here. Please make sure your cameras have automatically updated to the latest firmware and test again to see if the behavior has improved.

JamesC

SJUAE
Guide
Guide

My firmware is already 1.080.17.1._32_5097d3c says no updates are available

jessdsmith
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. We recently had a very wide internet outage, since then my cameras will not connect, or stay connected. and my batteries also will not stay charged the full 6 month promised battery life. 

Kmarcum
Aspirant
Aspirant

My firmware is also 1.080.17.1._32_5097d3c      Is this the new version, or do I need to do something to get it updated?

jessdsmith
Aspirant
Aspirant
That idk. I had two cameras update. My two cameras that will not reconnect have not updated firmware.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kmarcum wrote:

My firmware is also 1.080.17.1._32_5097d3c      Is this the new version,

Yes.  For future reference: you can check that yourself by looking here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

Jsteinberg
Tutor
Tutor
Upgraded my firmware and the cameras reconnected! I'll cross my fingers for the future. If truly fixed, well done Arlo. All things considered, the I'm happy with the Pro 4. Far superior in performance compared to a ring camera I tried.
Kmarcum
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  I'll save this link.  Let's hope this update is a good improvement.  

Larry53
Tutor
Tutor

This is just an FYI,

I have 6 cameras, 5 received the firmware update and 1 didn't. I pulled and re-installed the battery on the camera that didn't and it then updated the firmware. 🙂

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Kmarcum wrote:

Thanks.  I'll save this link.  Let's hope this update is a good improvement.  

Firmware is also listed at the top of the Pro4 forum for quick reference, but no notes like the link.

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

Great news, ive always used DHCP reservation and the camera always comes up first by its always on nature. Looking forward to this being fixed now and being able to move on with working cameras when loosing connection with my provider which is rare but when maintenance occurs recently has been a huge pain. Glad to see Arlo have hopefully fixed this, time will tell though but here's hoping its all done and dusted.

Hammer-d
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve got five cameras all direct to the WiFi on a job site. 3 have been showing a constant 100% charge and also show they are getting a charge from the solar at night. One went offline Friday while I was on site, it has the strongest signal. Pulling the battery did not work, I hat to reinstall it. That fixed the charging issue. It had 69%, not 100%. Tonight all five went offline. No more than 30 minutes had passed since they were last all online. 3 reconnected, 2 have not, it’s been hours. Two of the ones that work still say 100% and show they are charging off the solar at night.
Hammer-d
Aspirant
Aspirant
Update: 1 of the two that are offline came back online after sensing motion. It’s been offline for three hours.
SJUAE
Guide
Guide

Another drop out despite new firmware and 2 weeks of all 6 cams working

Lost internet due to 30min power cut , 4 cams out of 6 reconnected, so usual up the ladder pop out battery and reconnected, lost about 4% battery on the 2 offending cams

That was yesterday pm. This morning 2 different cams with no justification had disconnected, rinse and repeat of removing battery

Does not seem fixed to me with new firmware as line of sight and connectivity is good and different cams behaving differently

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

That might be a router issue too, I have my modem and router on a APC UPS so if the net goes down the wifi connection stays up. waiting for the next outage to test but hoping it is fixed. If you router goes off and on things can get messy when everything is trying to reconnect and grab an IP. The Arlo should be one of the first as its always on. I use DHCP reservation so each device connects with a designated IP and I'm hoping that will work with the new firmware but time will tell. The camera image is still not as good on the standard balanced setting for battery life and image quality at night as I would have expected. Also I've never really seen evidence of Auto HDR doing much of anything to help either. I'm not sure if switching to best image mode will help that or not either, as it could be a limit of the sensor size for night viewing. Day time is great though as is.

Ragab
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have  "Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight FB1001 - 1.080.25.1_32_e230cb8" firmware installed and still having the same issue. I had to recycle power to the cameras by physically disconnecting the batteries so it would reconnect again. Super frustrating as I will be overseas next week and I was relying on Arlo cameras and now don't know what will happen if I lose internet while being there!

Discussion stats