Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Camera will not reconnect if you loose the internet.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

I have to say Arlo firmware or the apps seem to be getting worse, on the current Pro 4 firmware 1.080.16.2_16_7838050 not only does the percentage not change till the camera is fully charged, you can update it by pressing live view then the camera will update its percentage but wont until its fully charged otherwise, but when the internet goes down as it did today the camera just won't reconnect, you end up having to remove the battery and put it back in. Yes I've tried all the trouble shooting steps and I'm tired of doing this.

Considering the price of these units I really don't expect these bugs. It feels like with each update its one step forwards 2 steps back. This reconnection issue needs to be resolved and as a disabled user I bought these cameras for security, not to waste my carers and my time reconnecting them when every other device reconnects just fine after the internet comes back up (Netgear RAX120 Firmware 1.2.2.24) Come on Arlo get this sorted along with the never ending battery percentage bugs (iOS 15.0.2 using a iPhone 13 Pro and a 3rd generationiPad Pro 1TB) and the latest app 3.4.6 as of typing this.

Model: VMC4050P/VMC4041P | Arlo Pro 4
13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Killhippie,

I've not been able to replicate any issues with the camera reconnecting after an internet outage. Are you able to reproduce this issue consistently?

JamesC

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes if PPP goes down the camera sits offline, it will not re-connect. I can turn the Wi-Fi off which isn't quite the same thing, if I were to pull the modem cable from the faceplate so the wireless stays on its like the camera gets a stale session and wont re connect it happens mostly when the net is down for a longer period of time, and its very frustrating.  its not the same as turning Wi-Fi off and on, that generally reconnects. Its probably a router camera issue but it used to work okay, the camera would reconnect but not any more. It might be because the RAX120 firmware has changed, as the battery info not updating unless you keep pressing live view is also new, unless iOS 15 is an issue as I'm also not getting notifications of events at this time on iOS 15.0.2 on the iPhone 13 Pro.

cazbah1969
Initiate
Initiate

I had the exact same issue JUST happen to me.... internet went out for the entire home.... restarted the router.... and the cameras WOULD NOT come back on line.... even with a battery pull and replace.... I had to completely remove my cameras from the system and re add them.... NOW I can't get the old activity zones to delete.... it shows them, but says they don't exist when i try to edit or delete them.

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

This happened to me again a few days ago, the internet went down for 20 minutes, routine maintenance by Zen (who provide backhaul to IDNet) and once again my Camera went off line. It stays connected to the router but not to the internet. Basically if there is a brief power cut in your area Pro 4 cameras are rendered useless if your router is not on a UPS and you can break in without fear of video capture, not great.

I'm in a wheelchair so there is no command I can send to fix this issue, I have to waste my carers time removing the thing take the battery out and put it back in back in, may as well top it up while it's down hey, no don't do that, the batteries get muddled and takes 4 hours to charge from 97% to 100% and then looses 1% as soon as you test the cameras position. I had a new battery which cured this sent to my by support its been fully charged once this odd loss of 1% happens along with the drop of connectivity. Don't buy this junk, really its not fit for purpose and dont expect support help to understand your needs either.

Talking to support is like banging your head against a wall for fun too. £300 for shiny plastic junk, well done Arlo outstanding security from cameras that cant reconnect to the internet but you know, you all my other devices can. These cameras are Utter garbage it seems sadly.

murraylogging
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue.  The internet went down, they were doing some maintenance and all our 4 cameras are off line and will not reconnect automatically.  As they are for security and placed in high places (access by extra long ladder), getting to them is not easy to pull out and replace the battery.  As well, the red light flashes and flattens the remaining battery power.  Now we have to fully recharge all cameras.  Really handy when we are working away for the week.  We dont have anybody to come in and reset all of them.  Also a camera will go offline randomly.  Mostly have to remove battery to reset.  Can anything be done to improve this glitch.  They work great when operational, BUT not much good when they go offline.  If we get robbed during that offline time, can I send Arlo the bill?

Czcon12
Initiate
Initiate
I've had this happen the last two nights. Utilities company have been doing work and when internet comes back on the cameras don't reconnect and the batteries go almost dead before I can reset them. Why don't they reconnect on there own? Why do I physically have to push the reset button?
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

On the Pro 4 just pop the battery out and back in, the reason is lousy firmware and a major flaw in these cameras it appears as you don't even know they are offline and they should auto reconnect, if my blu-ray player can, a security product should be able to, I guess Arlo servers cannot deal with the most basic of tasks or the cameras have a fatal flaw. I hope it can be patched but something is very wrong with these units. I would get a refund.

col1958
Initiate
Initiate

I have a similar problem

Our internet often goes down for 3 hours or so, the cameras stay connected to the wifi but seems to run the battery down while trying to connect to the net. The end result is the battery goes flat 2%, and I have to manually disconnect the battery then reconnect the battery to get the devices to come back on line. Then recharge them. I have 2 cameras they both do exactly the same thing.

Starting to think these were a waste of money as our net regularly goes down.

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

If you can send them back, it appears Arlo have no intention of fixing this glaring security flaw!

Jsteinberg
Initiate
Initiate
Bought a 2 pack, set up was easy and I was excited about the picture image. Disappointment came quickly when I woke up and found the cameras offline. Restarted my router with no results. Popped batteries and put them back in which did the trick. 10 hours later. Same problem.

There has got to be an option for them to search to reconnect on their own without having to handle the hardware. Seems they just go dormant. Get on it Arlo. Not a heavy duty firmware fix. Could definition definitely be a cause for return. Unacceptable for people who travel and need to rely on the stability.
kwkslvr
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here. Arlo we need a solution for the Pro 4 camera. Can't keep climbing a ladder to remove and reinstall battery. Comcast has regular unplanned outages.....cameras won't reconnect.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update once we have more information.

JamesC

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

That's great news. The thing is though this should have never gotten past engineering and to the launch of the Pro 4 in the first place and puts tens of thousands of homes at risk (I dont know how many have been sold it could be many more) using this and other Arlo products that do the same. Its like a stale session on a router, this should have never been released in this state and sadly gives a false sense of security to users, also not great for cameras that are high up, or for people like myself that are disabled.

Arlo should patch this ASAP these cameras have enough bugs as it is but this just kills your camera, also I would like to see a toggle in the app so support cant just look at my history of my camera and its logs or possibly my videos, thats a back door which could be exploited. We should have the choice of allowing that for trouble shooting, and not having that option on when not. Having this available to people I dont know and no offence don't trust as they are just a name in another country feels like a breech of privacy. Whats the point of 2FA if Arlo techs can bypass that at will?

If Arlo cannot fix this dropping offline when the ISP does maintenance will these be recalled or will we get replacements that don't have the issue as compensation?

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation