Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 setup in a building that gives wifi but has no 2.4 network

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DoublePromo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased a dual camera Arlo Pro 4.  I live in a building that provides high speed internet/wifi but I do not see that they have a 2.4 GHz at all, only 5 GHz.  Is it useless for me to have these cameras as in no shot of getting them connected to the wifi the building has?  Even their gest wifi is 5 GHz.  The cameras are of the highest rated for home which is why I got them.  

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DoublePromo wrote:

I just purchased a dual camera Arlo Pro 4.  I live in a building that provides high speed internet/wifi but I do not see that they have a 2.4 GHz at all, only 5 GHz.  Is it useless for me to have these cameras as in no shot of getting them connected to the wifi the building has?  

It is a bit odd that they don't provide any 2.4 ghz. Have you contacted them and asked?

You could potentially buy a WiFi extender that connects to the 5 gHz wifi, and creates a 2.4 ghz network.  Then connect the cameras to the extender's network.  Something like this would work:  https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/ex3700/

DoublePromo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for your response. When I posted this, I didn’t have the presence of mind to contact the Internet service providers to see if they also have also have a 2.4 network. I did contact them, I’m just waiting to hear from them now. And good idea on the Wi-Fi extender!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DoublePromo

One thing to add - some commercial wifi networks use RADIUS authentication - requiring a user login/password in addition to the wifi password.  The Pro 4 camera can't handle that - there's just no way to tell it to use those extra credentials.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation