Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Star
Star

I got my first pro 4 in Jan of 21 and everything worked fine until Mar and all of a sudden I started seeing a flash about 5 seconds into video playback of recordings while night vision was being used. The spotlight is turned off and the flash is dark and in low grade color. I tried every reset and restore I could think of and finally took it back to Best Buy and traded for a new Pro 4. Installed the camera, and instantly same problem. I have reset the base to factory settings, removed all devices and nothing works to clear the problem. Video is fantastic after the flash, and really the flash only lasts a second, but I use my cams for monitoring wildlife and it very frustrating having it happen on every video.

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a link to a video so we can see.

Star
Star

Clip of video

Star
Star

For some reason. I cannot attach my video.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the library, and select the Share item from the video's menu. Copy the link and post that here. It will remain visible for 24 hours.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

You can also put it into your own cloud storage (google drive, etc), and share the download link.  Some also have uploaded their videos to youtube.

Both avoid the 24-hour limit, which sometimes isn't enough for people here to view.

Star
Star
Star
Star
Star
Star
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What I think I see is probably an artifact of the spotlight briefly turning on, even though it's set to off. You could test this yourself by triggering a recording while standing at the box and see if that's what's really happening. The brief blank screen at that point I suspect is due to the autoexposure trying to react to that flash.

It may be useful to remove and reconnect the camera to see if that helps.

Star
Star

I have removed and reinstalled 4 times. I have gone out and watched and there is no flash. This is the second Pro 4 that has done this. The base has been reset to factory multiple times. All devices removed multiple times. 

Star
Star

This is what a flash from the spotlight looks like on the box.

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/3BBC595D4128387C_202105

Star
Star

Yesterday, I removed the original base and installed a different one. Same problem. So far, I have reset my base to factory settings 4 times, removed and reinstalled all devices, triggered recording while watching the camera and saw no "flash" so nothing to do with spotlight  being turned off or on.  There is something about the Pro 4 that must be unique because this is the second one with this same problem.

Star
Star

Got my first Pro 4 in Jan 2021 and shortly thereafter, I started getting the flash at approx 5 seconds into recording. Looks like night vision kicking in. After the flash, no problems. I have removed the camera, reset the base to factory, reinstalled camera, turned spotlight off and on, turned night vision off and on. Stood in front of the camera and triggered night recording and no flash, but on replay, I see the flash. I removed the camera from the base and reinstalled onto another base and no luck.  And to add to all of that, occasionally, the cam will lose vertical control and start to flip like a 1970's TV. I took the Pro 4 back to Best Buy and they replaced with another Pro 4. Installed it and boom, same flash as the other. Went through all the steps listed above and no luck. I even went a step farther this time and set up wifi operation and the cam worked great, til 5 seconds into recording, and the flash occurred there also. I have tried everything that I can think of and all of my experience with the Pro and Pro 2s is no good on this thing. I failed to mention, the first Pro 4 was a replacement for a Pro 3 that repeatedly had similar problems and was also a replacement for my first Pro 3.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@1417 wrote:

Got my first Pro 4 in Jan 2021 and shortly thereafter, I started getting the flash at approx 5 seconds into recording. Looks like night vision kicking in. After the flash, no problems. 

Did you try turning off color in the low light settings?

The camera might be trying to use low-light color in the beginning of the recording, and then switching to Nightvision a bit later.  If you turn off low-light color recording, then you might get better results.

Star
Star

Color was turned off. Tried turning it on and then back off.  Still got the flash at 5 seconds into the video.

Star
Star

Arlo support had no idea what is causing it either. Do any other Pro 4 users have any experience with this problem? I have gone through 2 cameras with this problem.  I've removed the camera, replaced the base,  gone pure WIFI, turned off the spotlight, turned off color night vision, turned off night vision, moved the camera to another location, and this is the second Pro 4 to do the very same thing.  Best Buy replaced the first one and this one came out of the box with this special defect. I'm sure there is a setting that I haven't seen for this, but I can't figure it out. 

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation