Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 to Arlo Pro 4 Upgrade

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
thekritic
Star
Star

Hi All - I am looking to upgrade my Arlo Pro 2 cameras to Arlo Pro 4 to remove the hub and have direct WiFi, but have 4 specific questions:

1) Are the outdoor mounts compatible between two models?

2) Can the Arlo Pro 4 use the same USB-2 Power Cable from the Arlo Pro 2?

3) Can the Arlo phone app be used with both models simultaneously?

4) Do I need the waterproof kit for the Arlo Pro 4?

My goal is to just plug-and-play if that's possible.

Thanks for your responses.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I prefer using cameras connected to a SmartHub for various reasons such as the ability to also use local recordings. I also haven't had many of the various problems reported here by users that have the cameras connected to WiFi. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe something else.

1) No, the mounts are totally different. The Pro 4 will come with the new mounts.

2) No, they come with a magnetic connection for charging.

3) Yes.

4) What waterproof kit? Do you mean skins or the outdoor charging cable? There's no skins available and no real need for anything that would make them "waterproof".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I prefer using cameras connected to a SmartHub for various reasons such as the ability to also use local recordings. I also haven't had many of the various problems reported here by users that have the cameras connected to WiFi. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe something else.

1) No, the mounts are totally different. The Pro 4 will come with the new mounts.

2) No, they come with a magnetic connection for charging.

3) Yes.

4) What waterproof kit? Do you mean skins or the outdoor charging cable? There's no skins available and no real need for anything that would make them "waterproof".

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@thekritic wrote:

Hi All - I am looking to upgrade my Arlo Pro 2 cameras to Arlo Pro 4 to remove the hub and have direct WiFi,

In addition to @jguerdat's answers to your questions, you should also be aware that you will need Arlo Secure subscription with the Pro 4s.

thekritic
Star
Star

Thank you jguerdat.This was very helpful!

thekritic
Star
Star

Thank you StephenB for the additional information.

Snorkelftm
Initiate
Initiate

Another thing to be aware of is the Arlo Pro 4 uses different batteries, (and chargers), than the Arlo Pro 2.

I'm using both cameras, and have 2 sets of batteries & chargers.

I did use the same screw down mount for both cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation