Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
gosugimoto
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

So I've had old arlo cameras recording to the local USB perfectly, then I tried a trial (no way not to as it was forced) when I purchased the pro 4.  Now trial is over I want to keep recording to my USB drive.  In the app, it says device is ready to record, but nothing is recorded in the library.  Camera setup hasn't changed, I've tried resetting, reformatting, rebooting, everything and no recordings!!

Please help!!

7 REPLIES 7
Dannybear
Master
Master
gosugimoto
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, but my VMB4000 doesn't support Direct Storage Access.  

Anyone else please?  Arlo people?? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gosugimoto wrote:

So I've had old arlo cameras recording to the local USB perfectly, then I tried a trial (no way not to as it was forced) when I purchased the pro 4.  Now trial is over I want to keep recording to my USB drive.  In the app, it says device is ready to record, but nothing is recorded in the library.  Camera setup hasn't changed, I've tried resetting, reformatting, rebooting, everything and no recordings!!

Are you ejecting the USB drive using the app, and then looking for recordings on a PC? You can only see cloud recordings in the app, not locally stored ones.

Also, is the Pro 4 connected to the base?  Or did you connect it to your home wifi?

gosugimoto
Aspirant
Aspirant

No I have not.  I thought I read somewhere that they 'will' show up in the library but it seems this is not the case.  How annoying.

Is there anyway to ssh into it to see the usb drive on the local network?  it doesn't have to be remote away from LAN - I think unplugging and plugging in usb drive to check videos is a bit of a nuisance after such investment.  It's on the network, are there any workarounds??

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gosugimoto wrote:

Is there anyway to ssh into it to see the usb drive on the local network?

No, Arlo has totally locked it down.

@gosugimoto wrote:

are there any workarounds??

The only workaround is to upgrade the base to a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000).  Then you can use direct access to local storage.  There are limitations, so maybe post back if that is something you are interested it.

Personally I think a single-camera subscription is a better option - about $3 / month in the US.  A smarthub costs at least $99 USD, so the payback is about 3 years, and the subscription is certainly more convenient.

gosugimoto
Aspirant
Aspirant

well, convenient for arlo for sure - it's just more money.  but what a waste of money, technology, resources if i were to just bin a perfectly working base station to buy something else just to get this feature that I "should" have on the base station.  Not highly sustainable.

Dannybear
Master
Master

The VMB4000 Base station was released back when 7days free cloud library storage was offered, hence no need for viewing access.

Have a look for the arlo pro/pro2 cameras as arlo still supports the legacy offer up to 5 cameras per account.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation