Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
lynette63
Follower
Follower

Would the remote access to SD card recordings via app (that is expected in 2nd half of 2019) be available for Arlo Pro 3 ?

The original announcement was for Arlo Ultra. So wondering if the same feature will be made available for Arlo Pro 3.

80 REPLIES 80
MaximKa
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the return policy? Can we return the cams if remote SD access is not rolled out in the next two weeks? 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I second that
MaximKa
Aspirant
Aspirant

After reading investor press release that talks about subscription revenues they are forecasting I had serious doubts Arlo will actually follow through on their promise to have a free/ no subscription option and even if they do I would expect it to be severely limited (e.g. no notifications without subscription or access through local Wi-Fi network only). Looking into Eufy cameras now but not liking the lack of hard-wired options for their cams.

I would be fine if Arlo just announce publicly that remote access feature will be delayed but the fact that they are not sharing ANY details about remote access feature tells me they will do whatever it takes not to lose subscription revenue which means that Remote Access feature will most likely be pretty useless unless you pay for subscription. On top of that, why in the world Arlo got rid of Annual subscription option, it's so silly to have only one option where fees are drawn monthly.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This feature will be available very soon. The development team still has some small changes to make before the feature is fully available but the 2.12 version of the mobile app will be the version needed to support direct storage access. I will provide an update here when this feature is fully available.

JamesC

802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, JamesC, for the update.  While short on details, I'm assuming you're telling us as much as you are allowed and I appreciate that.  Nevertheless, I share MaximKa's suspicions.  Assuming they do follow through, I am concerned that the functionality will be severely limited absent a subscription.  If they go that route, it will be very disappointing and, I suspect, it will open the door for other companies to fill the void.  I will never pay a monthly fee for access to my own stored video and I am sure there are millions of like-minded potential customers just waiting for the right product to come along.  

alelas
Guide
Guide

Hi,

Well...the version 2.12 is out now, however I am unable to see recording saved on my sd card...YET.

Looking forward for this feature to rolling out soon!

2.12 Version Update Details: Direct Storage Access (requires SmartHub and a third-party storage device): Advanced users can access recordings saved locally to their SmartHub directly within the Arlo app. Enable Direct Storage Access in SmartHub Settings > Storage Settings. (Note - router configuration may be required for accessing clips outside the home. VMB4540 or VMB5000 required.)

@ArloAlex quote: Thanks James. To clarify for everyone, Assistant PIN and Direct Storage Access are upcoming features that will be rolling out to users shortly. 

We’ll post additional updates in the community when these are live.

Read the quotes here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-iOS-App-2-12-13th-December-2019/td-p/17454...

Emperor1
Aspirant
Aspirant
so can i buy arlo pro 3 and will have access to my sd recordings through app? btw why free 7 days is not available for arlo pro 3 / ultra? it’s unacceptable ...
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Emperor1 wrote:
so can i buy arlo pro 3 and will have access to my sd recordings through app?

Not yet. It might be a good idea to wait for this to happen before you part with your money.

@Emperor1 wrote:
btw why free 7 days is not available for arlo pro 3 / ultra? it’s unacceptable ...

You will have to ask Arlo about that. It is in line with industry moves to sell "services" rather than products.

The choice is yours. Doubtless you can find alternative products to meet your needs.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Rdavis93
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any updates on this?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Rdavis93 wrote:
Any updates on this?

One of several recent messages:

Arlo iOS App - 2.12 - 13th December 2019 - Arlo Communities

Seems to be a "watch this space" thing.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant
This announcement could not be more misleading. The release refers to Assistant PIN and direct video access as “New Features” of the update and all 7 of the features are described in the present tense. Nothing in the announcement provides a clue that two of the the “new features” are actually “upcoming features”.
802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant
The same issue is being discussed on a separate thread. An update was recently released which seems to say that direct access is now available, but an Arlo employee posted an immediate clarification to the effect that the feature is “upcoming”. This announcement could not be more misleading. The release refers to Assistant PIN and direct video access as “New Features” of the update and all 7 of the features are described in the present tense. Nothing in the announcement provides a clue that two of the the “new features” are actually “upcoming features”.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing Direct Storage Access
We know you’ve been eager for a solution to get easy access to your locally stored videos without dealing with the hassle of removing the microSD card or USB drive from your SmartHub, and we’re excited to announce the availability of our new Direct Storage Access feature on Arlo SmartHubs (VMB5000 and VMB4540).  Direct Storage Access feature is now available on Android and iOS. 

Direct Storage Access is an alternate storage option for those of you that are specifically looking for ways to access videos stored locally on the media cards on select Arlo SmartHubs. Instead of pulling out the micro SD card or USB storage and plugging it into your computer to view videos, Direct Storage Access gives you a simple way to directly view videos at the full resolution of your Arlo camera through your Arlo App over the local network.

Please note that Direct Storage Access is not an Arlo Smart feature, but for many of you with Arlo Smart subscription, Direct Storage Access is an incremental storage solution to the existing experience with Arlo Smart.

Point-to-Point Peace of Mind
We know that some users who value security and privacy prefer to store their video recordings on-site versus on a third-party server in the cloud. As such, Direct Storage Access is architected to provide direct point-to-point access to locally stored videos ensuring that the videos are never passed through or processed by any intermediate server.

When you choose to store videos locally, your content remains totally yours and local on your own network at all times.  However, this also means that Arlo can’t process thumbnails at this time because that is normally accomplished via cloud assets that will no longer be receiving the clips.  We know this might be disappointing to some, but it is important we remain pure to the privacy expectations for Direct Storage Access.  Arlo is looking into alternative methods for producing thumbnails for a future version of this feature.

Remote Access to Locally Stored Videos
For those that want to access locally stored videos remotely, this privacy first architecture creates several options.  Each option has its advantages and disadvantages and is further complicated by the fact that ISPs typically block incoming requests.

1. VPN: many advanced routers for home and small businesses have built in VPN functionality that provides the most secure access to your local network and stored files.

1. Port forwarding: you can configure your router to forward an outward facing port to the Arlo SmartHub for convenient but less secure access to your locally stored files.

The Arlo App provides configuration instructions to set-up a port forwarding connections.  For more information, please visit: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Both options ensure that your files are not being processed, reflected, or forwarded through a third party site or server.  Arlo is also investigating additional privacy options for remote access that are consistent with this stance.

Direct Storage Access is a high-performance solution fully integrated into the Arlo App that ensures your locally stored, full resolution videos are truly under your control to ensure the privacy and security you expect. And we look forward to your feedback and suggestions as we consider further features and enhancements in the future.

-The Arlo Team

alelas
Guide
Guide

@JamesC wrote:

Introducing Direct Storage Access
... Direct Storage Access feature is now available on Android, and will be available on iOS shortly pending approval from our technology partner.

I am waiting for the DSA availability on iOS.

Will it be out before Christmas Eve?

Whom are you referring to when you say "technological partner"?

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @alelas , we're excited to get Direct Storage Access in your hands as soon as we can. Right now, though, this feature is looking like it will come to iOS a short time after Christmas. 

As we approached our rollout of Direct Storage Access, we discovered an issue with the final experience in iOS. We evaluated multiple paths to resolution, but have ultimately determined that we will need to release an update to the app (v 2.12.1) to ensure iOS customers have the right experience with Direct Storage Access. 

The good news, though, is that our internal testing of v 2.12.1 on iOS is extremely positive and resolves the issue we caught, so we are confident that Direct Storage Access will work for you as intended when this update is available after Christmas. We will note here in the Community when the update is live....it'll be just a bit longer, and we appreciate everyone's patience!

802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is encouraging. I literally had another system in my Amazon cart when I read the announcement yesterday. I have to admit that I’m still a little hesitant due to some of the comments I read in the Ultra community section, given that they use the same base station, but I plan to give Arlo a try. Thank you for coming through.
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Glad to hear it, @802Lounge - and I hope you like Direct Storage Access when it goes live after the holidays! 🙂 

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
@ArloAlex

A few questions

Will this direct access funtionality work with pro 2 cameras attached to this vmb4540.

If i have pro 2 cameras and pro 3 cameras on the basic plan will i be able to go over 5 camera limit that the older cameras have for their free plan when recording to the basestation.

Do we know what is needed to determine if the direct acces sees you as on the local network. My VPN software puts me on a seperate vlan currently.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Mavrrick wrote:
@ArloAlex

A few questions

Will this direct access funtionality work with pro 2 cameras attached to this vmb4540.

Yes.

Just another user
TheWick
Initiate
Initiate

Disappointing.  I was looking forward to the local storage direct access and now that it is here, I can't use it.  My base station model is VMB4000r3.  I presume there are no plans to make this feature available in my model?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@TheWick wrote:

My base station model is VMB4000r3. 

That's the Pro 2 base station.

Local direct access is there because Ultra and Pro 3 cameras do not have the seven-day storage that you get with the Pro 2.

You can get local storage direct access with the Pro 2 cameras on an Ultra or Pro 3 hub.

Just another user
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
That is a interesting point though. The Pro 2 system is limited to 5 cameras when trying to stay on the 7 days free cloud storage. Based on a arlo KB article about the basic no subscription plans the Pro 3/Ultra does not have that limit with the number of cameras.

I am still very interested how those limits translate to the new basestations with a mix of pro 3 and older cameras.

I already have 5 legacy cameras and wasn't planning on replacing them yet. Especially since they haven't added support for smartthings for the new cameras and such.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Direct Storage Access is now available for iOS on the 2.12.1 version of the Arlo Mobile App. Please make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo Mobile app from the app store and take a look here for more information:  Arlo iOS App - 2.12.1 - 30th December 2019 Arlo iOS App - 2.12.1 - 30th December 2019

JamesC

bdf0506
Guide
Guide
I upgraded the app to v2.12.1 and enabled this feature from iOS on my base station.

When I try to access the base station from the library, I get a banner in orange that says “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check your connection settings”

The message appears when my iOS device is confirmed to be on the same network as the base station. Anyone else having issues with this?
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @bdf0506 - investigating this now....

Discussion stats