Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
lynette63
Follower
Follower

Would the remote access to SD card recordings via app (that is expected in 2nd half of 2019) be available for Arlo Pro 3 ?

The original announcement was for Arlo Ultra. So wondering if the same feature will be made available for Arlo Pro 3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing Direct Storage Access
We know you’ve been eager for a solution to get easy access to your locally stored videos without dealing with the hassle of removing the microSD card or USB drive from your SmartHub, and we’re excited to announce the availability of our new Direct Storage Access feature on Arlo SmartHubs (VMB5000 and VMB4540).  Direct Storage Access feature is now available on Android and iOS. 

Direct Storage Access is an alternate storage option for those of you that are specifically looking for ways to access videos stored locally on the media cards on select Arlo SmartHubs. Instead of pulling out the micro SD card or USB storage and plugging it into your computer to view videos, Direct Storage Access gives you a simple way to directly view videos at the full resolution of your Arlo camera through your Arlo App over the local network.

Please note that Direct Storage Access is not an Arlo Smart feature, but for many of you with Arlo Smart subscription, Direct Storage Access is an incremental storage solution to the existing experience with Arlo Smart.

Point-to-Point Peace of Mind
We know that some users who value security and privacy prefer to store their video recordings on-site versus on a third-party server in the cloud. As such, Direct Storage Access is architected to provide direct point-to-point access to locally stored videos ensuring that the videos are never passed through or processed by any intermediate server.

When you choose to store videos locally, your content remains totally yours and local on your own network at all times.  However, this also means that Arlo can’t process thumbnails at this time because that is normally accomplished via cloud assets that will no longer be receiving the clips.  We know this might be disappointing to some, but it is important we remain pure to the privacy expectations for Direct Storage Access.  Arlo is looking into alternative methods for producing thumbnails for a future version of this feature.

Remote Access to Locally Stored Videos
For those that want to access locally stored videos remotely, this privacy first architecture creates several options.  Each option has its advantages and disadvantages and is further complicated by the fact that ISPs typically block incoming requests.

1. VPN: many advanced routers for home and small businesses have built in VPN functionality that provides the most secure access to your local network and stored files.

1. Port forwarding: you can configure your router to forward an outward facing port to the Arlo SmartHub for convenient but less secure access to your locally stored files.

The Arlo App provides configuration instructions to set-up a port forwarding connections.  For more information, please visit: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Both options ensure that your files are not being processed, reflected, or forwarded through a third party site or server.  Arlo is also investigating additional privacy options for remote access that are consistent with this stance.

Direct Storage Access is a high-performance solution fully integrated into the Arlo App that ensures your locally stored, full resolution videos are truly under your control to ensure the privacy and security you expect. And we look forward to your feedback and suggestions as we consider further features and enhancements in the future.

-The Arlo Team

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80
802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been considering the Arlo 3 camera for months, but I see that the promised direct access to recordings without a subscription has yet to materialize.  I think the camera looks great but I have no intention of buying a pricey camera system only to pay a monthly subscription fee to view my videos.  Any update on this feature?  Should I just move on t another brand?  Thanks!  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

802Lounge,

This feature is still in development. For more information on this, take a look here: Local and Remote Access to Local Storage for Arlo Ultra via Arlo App Expected in Second Half of 2019

As new information becomes available, an announcement will be made here in the community.

JamesC

802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC, and thanks for your quick response!  I had already seen that announcement from January.  It's now November, so we've been in the second half of 2019 for awhile.  I like the system, but the lack of remote access to stored videos is a complete deal-breaker for me.  If the company doesn't update the announcement soon, I will have to buy a different brand.  (I know you don't have any control over this--I'm just putting it out there.)

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@802Lounge wrote:

It's now November, so we've been in the second half of 2019 for awhile.  I like the system, but the lack of remote access to stored videos is a complete deal-breaker for me. 

If it isn't working before the year's bundled-access to the UItra  comes to an end – around the turn of the year – there will be hell to pay.

It is a pity that the Pro 3's bundled cloud is so short. One month really is a ripoff for something this expensive.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

It is a pity that the Pro 3's bundled cloud is so short. One month really is a ripoff for something this expensive.

???

The Pro 3's trial subscription is 3 months.

@michaelkenward wrote:

If it isn't working before the year's bundled-access to the UItra  comes to an end – around the turn of the year – there will be hell to pay.

Yes,   I think they'd need to extend the free trial subscriptions if that were to happen.

802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant
You know, I’d buy the system now if I had some assurance that they will make good on the promise of direct access to stored video after the trial period.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lynette63 wrote:

Would the remote access to SD card recordings via app (that is expected in 2nd half of 2019) be available for Arlo Pro 3 ?

It'd be good to get a clear statement from Arlo on this.  But I think it would have to include the Pro-3 (which also has no free cloud storage).

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@lynette63 wrote:

It'd be good to get a clear statement from Arlo on this.  But I think it would have to include the Pro-3 (which also has no free cloud storage).

I'd say local access is even more important for the Pro 3, which does not have the year's bundled account. Just a pathetic month.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@lynette63 wrote:

I'd say local access is even more important for the Pro 3, which does not have the year's bundled account. Just a pathetic month.

Three months, not one.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lynette63,

Direct Storage Access is still in development and planned for release before the end of the year. I will share here when we have more information available.

JamesC

802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi.  I asked the same question a few weeks ago and got the same answer.  The end of the year is fast approaching but still no word.  

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@802Lounge wrote:

....still no word.  

That's puzzling. You replied to a message that said "before the end of the year".

I make that six words. Which is about as many weeks as there are between now and the end of the year.

I doubt if you'll get much more than that before D day.

Just another user
Astonmartin
Aspirant
Aspirant

All I want to do is see the view when I open the app and see the view full screen on my I phone

mike

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Astonmartin wrote:

All I want to do is see the view when I open the app and see the view full screen on my I phone

Not sure that I get what you mean by "see the view", but the promise for Ultra cameras was that there would be the ability to see local recordings without having to mess around with removing USB drives or memory cards. To me that means using what you now use to see could recordings to see local recordings.

The promise was for Ultra cameras, but it doesn't really matter which model of camera put your recordings on the memory device. So what works for Ultra recordings id highly likely to work for Pro 3 recordings and even older models.

With luck you won't have to wait long to confirm this.

Just another user
ehechter
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m returning my Ultra once January comes and direct access is unavailable.
ehechter
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any news yet? I’m returning my Ultra once January comes around and direct access is not available.
802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant
I haven’t seen any announcements as yet. I don’t blame you for planning to return it. I’m not going to go to the trouble of buying and setting it up unless direct access is available without a subscription.
802Lounge
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still waiting. I am willing to bet that if they reneige on their promise, other manufacturers will come in to fill the void.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@802Lounge wrote:
Still waiting. I am willing to bet that if they reneige on their promise, other manufacturers will come in to fill the void.

There is an alternative to reneging on that promise.

Arlo could always extend bundled subscriptions until it is ready to deliver local access.

Just another user
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Here's a thought:

Re: Will the remote access to SD card recordings v... - Arlo Communities

Just another user
jennieKEL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Beware this iteration!!!

I bought an Arlo Pro 3. 

Only to find that the manual camera and snapshot function do not work unless you have a paid subscription. Arlo Pro 2 does not require a subscription for this function. None of the phone reps ( 3 of them) knew about this without consulting another agent. So the Arlo Pro 3 lacks the basic functionality of all prior Arlos without the paid subscription!!! Of course, if you wait for the free trial cloud subscription to expire, you will no longer be able to return the unit, too old a purchase. Nowhere in the user manual is this key issue even mentioned. Very sneaky marketing. I am returning the Arlo Pro 3 and getting some other unit. 

jennieKEL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Beware the Arlo Pro 3.

i bought this only to find that the manual camera and snapshot function do not work unless you have a paid subscription. Arlo Pro 2 does not require a subscription for this function. None of the phone reps ( 3 of them) knew about this without consulting another agent. So the Arlo Pro 3 lacks the basic functionality of all prior Arlos without the paid subscription!!! Of course, if you wait for the free trial cloud subscription to expire, you will no longer be able to return the unit, because it will be too old a purchase. Nowhere in the user manual is this key issue even mentioned. Very sneaky marketing. I am returning the Arlo Pro 3 and getting some other unit. 

This is a great unit as long as you understand basic functionality is lacking without a monthly fee!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jennieKEL wrote:

Of course, if you wait for the free trial cloud subscription to expire, you will no longer be able to return the unit, because it will be too old a purchase. Nowhere in the user manual is this key issue even mentioned.

Arlo has publicly committed to providing direct access to local storage in the app and web client before the trial subscriptions run out.  This will be available both remotely and locally.  While this was originally committed for the Ultra, it also applies to the Pro-3.  I think this will require using the cameras with the Ultra or Pro-3 smart hubs (and likely won't work with the older hubs).

So there will be a free option for recording for these cameras. 

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Announcements/Local-and-Remote-Access-to-Local-Storage-for-Arlo-Ultra-...

rvoi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James (moderator)

Are you able to provide an update as to when we will be able to access local footage through our own networks?

Cheers

Rvoi

Discussion stats