Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
arlo3question
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking to install seven (7) Arlo Pro 3 cameras connected by two (2) Smarthubs across my property due to the wide range that needs to be covered (5 cameras to one Smarthub and 2 cameras to the other). I want to only use local storage and have researched as much as I can about the products online but haven't found a definitive answer on capabilities when it comes to my type of proposed setup:

1. Can you split the cameras to connect to multiple Smarthubs all under one Arlo account so that it can all be managed as one single system within the mobile app?
  2. If I only connect one 2TB USB hard drive to to one of the Smarthubs, will it store all captured video from all seven (7) cameras? Or do I need to connect one hard drive to each Smarthub?
  3. On the Arlo website, it states that I can only view locally stored footage when I am connected to the same LAN as the Smarthubs. Does this mean that I cannot view locally stored videos on the hard drive when I am out travelling or away from the property? I also want to give viewing permissions to some family members, does this mean they cannot see locally stored video recording and can only view live video? Will I or family members only be able to view live video when we are away from the property, and on LTE or a different WiFi network, and not any locally stored video?
  4. It seems CVR isn't available if i use local storage only correct? I will only be able to view recorded clips from motion or audio detection?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@arlo3question wrote:

Thanks for your response! I guess my question now is, whether or not there is any way to view footage remotely without the need for a cloud subscription as that comes in as the most costly in the long run?

I covered that in my response.

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

Not the easiest thing to set up, it requires some fiddling around with port forwarding or VPNs. But it does work.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@arlo3question wrote:

1. Can you split the cameras to connect to multiple Smarthubs all under one Arlo account so that it can all be managed as one single system within the mobile app?
  2. If I only connect one 2TB USB hard drive to to one of the Smarthubs, will it store all captured video from all seven (7) cameras? Or do I need to connect one hard drive to each Smarthub?
  3. On the Arlo website, it states that I can only view locally stored footage when I am connected to the same LAN as the Smarthubs. Does this mean that I cannot view locally stored videos on the hard drive when I am out travelling or away from the property? I also want to give viewing permissions to some family members, does this mean they cannot see locally stored video recording and can only view live video? Will I or family members only be able to view live video when we are away from the property, and on LTE or a different WiFi network, and not any locally stored video?
  4. It seems CVR isn't available if i use local storage only correct? I will only be able to view recorded clips from motion or audio detection?

Thanks!

1. Yes - you can add hubs to one account. I have three.
  2. No - cameras record to their hub
  3. No -

"To access recordings when outside the LAN, we recommend enabling VPN on your router and mobile device to establish a secure connection to your SmartHub."

4. Yes. CVR needs a cloud account. Yes.

That's the bare bones, but there are hidden subtleties that you can turn to later.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
arlo3question
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your response! I guess my question now is, whether or not there is any way to view footage remotely without the need for a cloud subscription as that comes in as the most costly in the long run? Might need to turn to another product if not.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@arlo3question wrote:

Thanks for your response! I guess my question now is, whether or not there is any way to view footage remotely without the need for a cloud subscription as that comes in as the most costly in the long run?

I covered that in my response.

Not the easiest thing to set up, it requires some fiddling around with port forwarding or VPNs. But it does work.

Just another user
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

OK. I interpreted "more distance for motion detection" as wifi reach.

The Q Plus is also better than other cameras at looking through Windows.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation