Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Uploading/Sharing

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello all, I have 4 Pro 3 and Pro 3. Recently law enforcement needed my recordings , choosin " share" doesn't work on receiving end. I have come across this beforehand as well when needing to share with neighbors. The receiving end can't open videos but I found uploading to YouTube and changing video to "unlisted" and sending the link always works.
LE isn't thrilled about this method but something is better than nothing as they were grateful my cameras captured the idiots.
Does anyone have an alternative method?
Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Doxiedoglover wrote:
. Does anyone else have a problem with people being able to open sent videos? Surely there has to be a solution.

FWIW, I do have issues when I open shared video links in the forum with Chrome.  For some reason it wants a login, and after that it doesn't show the link.  But Firefox works.  I suspect the issue is that Chrome is set up to remember the Arlo password.

But I haven't shared videos.

In any event, since the links do expire after 24 hours (and are deleted from cloud storage fairly quickly anyway), it would be best to give law enforcement either the actual MP4 in an attachment, or a persistent link.  You don't need to use youtube for that link, you could use google drive, icloud, or any other cloud storage.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Why not just downloading them and put them on a thumb drive for them? Or email them?

Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, emailing is the preferred, but as stated when I click ' share' from the video and send it , people on the other end ( no matter who or where) cannot open the videos therefore I was uploading to YouTube and sending a link. Does anyone else have a problem with people being able to open sent videos? Surely there has to be a solution.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Doxiedoglover,

What is preventing them from viewing the link? The links expire after 24 hours, so they must be viewed before that. Are they seeing an error message when they attempt to view the link?

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Doxiedoglover wrote:
. Does anyone else have a problem with people being able to open sent videos? Surely there has to be a solution.

FWIW, I do have issues when I open shared video links in the forum with Chrome.  For some reason it wants a login, and after that it doesn't show the link.  But Firefox works.  I suspect the issue is that Chrome is set up to remember the Arlo password.

But I haven't shared videos.

In any event, since the links do expire after 24 hours (and are deleted from cloud storage fairly quickly anyway), it would be best to give law enforcement either the actual MP4 in an attachment, or a persistent link.  You don't need to use youtube for that link, you could use google drive, icloud, or any other cloud storage.

Mikey94025
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If the sharing error is that clicking on the play icon says "This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view." then that's because the Arlo 3 videos will not stream within Chrome or Firefox browsers on Windows.  I use Edge because it still runs the Flash plugin required to stream the HEVC videos.  However, like the previous poster I still couldn't stream my shared video links in Edge even after enabling Flash for some reason - Weird.

They should still be able to download the MP4 file and play it outside their browser.  Uploading to Youtube works because it transcodes the Arlo video to a lower/multiple bitrates and has an advanced browser player that doesn't require Flash.

Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Would you be so kind to pm me on how to upload the videos to Google etc when I am viewing them on the Cloud. Thanks so much 🤗
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you everyone! I haven't been back on here since I posted. When did life get so darn busy?
On a side note: if the feral cat is seen on my camera again backing up to mailbox and spraying...he will meet his demise 🤬
Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
He stated he couldn't open because he doesn't have Arlo account ..so I am thinking the link expired as stated
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Doxiedoglover wrote:
Would you be so kind to pm me on how to upload the videos to Google etc when I am viewing them on the Cloud. Thanks so much 🤗

Use the web client, and first download the video you need to the PC.  Then you can upload it to whatever cloud storage you like, or simply send it as an attachment in an email.

Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you kindly 🤗
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation