Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Triggering far too often due to wind or dust

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have two Arlo Pro cameras in my Patio facing east and west. I recently acquired a Pro 3 and set it up facing north away from the house. This newest one has been problematic as there are some nights where it triggers constantly.

When I review the videos, I believe it's specific to windy nights. I will get 100 notifications over the night. The video appears to show some particles or dust swirling around. The spotlight from the camera reflects off them. I used to have an Arlo Pro in a tree that triggered a lot from wind moving shadows and the tree it was mounted on (and have since given up on that mounting), but this doesn't seem like that at all. It really seems like the trigger is the swirling particles.

I've reduced the motion sensitivity to 50% but it hasn't made a difference. I'm hesitant to go lower since my experience has been you will miss legitimate motion.

I have not tried putting a different camera in this position.

Any suggestions?  I wonder if I need to try a different mounting position or angle.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Positioning is certainly part of it but are you changing sensitivity in your modes and rules? The motion test is just a test and doesn't save.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Actually I never use motion test. I am specifically setting motion sensitivity in the relevant Mode. I have it at 55% right now (I believe default is 80%)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you seem to have multiple cameras, swap them around. You could also try removing and reconnecting the camera.

KSB22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you get this issue resolved? I have the same problem! My camera is placed under an overhang.
grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes. I switched it (#1) out for another camera (#2) and I now seem to get very few false positive triggers.

I thought the original camera (#1)  may be detective, but since I put it in another location it is doing well.  Actually, it was triggering too much at first - apparently due to a shrub moving in the wind - but I was able to configure an activity zone to ignore that shrub.

So I don't know if there is something wrong with the first camera in that it is too sensitive, or if the act of resetting the camera was sufficient to fix it.

OTHER NOTES

- both cameras (#1 and #2) are Pro 3. 

- #1 replaced a Pro 1. This makes me wonder if the Pro 3 are generally too sensitive to shadows/tree movement.

ANOTHER ISSUE - BLURRINESS

I still have an issue where at night the image is very blurry around the edges. I don't know if this is related to the IR being concentrated on a cone in the center much smaller than the FOV.  I do have a "cover" over the camera and am wondering if the blurriness may be glare from the IR reflecting off the cover. I am planning to remove the cover to see if that helps.

I have many outdoor cameras and this is actually the only position where the camera is not under an overhang (hence the special cover). Perhaps it would be best if I simply repositioned it to be under an overhang like the others.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation