Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
rlpjsh
Star
Star

Is anyone able to access local storage outside their LAN through a VPN (without port forwarding) using the Android Arlo app? I have no problem accessing local storage when on my LAN but am unable to access when outside through VPN. I have verified that my Android VPN connection is functioning correctly.
[My iPad Arlo app is able to access local storage outside my LAN through VPN without issue. The problem is with the Android app. (Feature request to Arlo: Access local storage through the web on my.arlo.com with thumbnails!)]
I am using a Netgear R6700v3, OpenVPN, No-IP DDNS.
If you are able to access local storage outside your LAN using the Android app without port forwarding, please share your setup, thanks.

Best answers
98 REPLIES 98
arloPro3User
Tutor
Tutor

I have given up and I guess thats what they want.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I can confirm it still does not work for me. I have:

Stock standard IPSEC VPN into Asus RT-AC86U

Samsung galaxy S9+ with up to date firmware.

I get the dropdown for cloud vs Smarthub but when I chose the smart hub I get a message "There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on the issue."

That's the same error I've been getting for months and if I were confident Arlo were really working on it, I'd be mildly happy but I don't have that confidence.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I don't think I got this to work when I had an Android phone.  A few months ago I switched to iOS - I just checked it, and direct access is working on my iPhone with wifi turned off and my VPN turned on.  I'm using the OpenVPN that is built into my Orbi router.

Clearly this needs to work - a VPN offers better security than port forwarding.

Sklod
Aspirant
Aspirant

VPN access works from an  iPad (just as stated previously in this thread), with the exact same setup that doesn't work with Android. (Sony Xperia 1 II with Android 11, Asus RT-AX88U).

shadowsjc
Guide
Guide
I bought a new router yesterday primarily to be able to set up a VPN to access my arlo stored videos away from home (my old router didn't have that functionality).

I set everything up and tested and retested for half an hour with no luck. Today, I stumbled upon this thread and it seems many others are having the same issue.

I have been extremely disappointed with my arlo pro 3. Glitchy, missing features (especially related to Google home), and worst of all EXPENSIVE. Virtually zero support. It's been the biggest money drain I can imagine and if I could do it all over I would go with Wyze.
rlpjsh
Star
Star

I have just submitted a suggestion on Arlo's idea exchange for direct web access to the USB drive attached to the SmartHub (like what Netgear already has available). This would be so much better than viewing the recordings through the Arlo app. If given the choice of fixing this Android/VPN bug or direct web access to the USB drive, for sure I'd take the latter. 

I don't know if it will help but lots of likes and support for this suggestion may get some attention from the Arlo folks:  

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Enable-web-access-to-SmartHub-USB-storage/idi-p/181...

smirk
Guide
Guide

For everyone in this thread, I have a support case open and I am pushing for them to look into this issue. I have notified the support team about everyone on this thread, and I am encouraging them to give us an update on the situation.

Edit: I have forwarded this thread to a VP at Arlo. Hopefully he can get the issue examined by the right team.

smirk
Guide
Guide

Hey Guys,

I've decided to return the Arlo Pro 3 system back to Costco at this point.

For anyone interested, there are a few Eufy systems on sale at Costco through tomorrow 4/25. The Eufy systems are marketed as no-subscription, local storage, and they include smart detection features that you wouldn't get if using the Arlo system without the Arlo Smart subscription.

Bummer to have such a poor customer service experience with Arlo - I hope they get it together but maybe they aren't really trying to target the local-storage, no subscription market.

Anyhow - cheers & good luck!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this topic to the development team for further investigation. I will provide an update once I have more information.

JamesC

Jerry_L
Initiate
Initiate
What's the update on this? I'm going to look into returning this back to Arlo and getting a refund or charging it back from my credit card...
AZjoe
Initiate
Initiate

2 more months have gone by and nothing - Arlo is the worst! Extreme disappointment, what dev team takes a year and does nothing! Anyone finding this thread beware of what you bought. 

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I've been using VPN on Android to access the Arlo app and recordings stored on the SD card on the base station.

I've switched off port forwarding.

Firstly, I've set up a VPN on my Draytek router and use their VPN app to connect via a VPN tunnel (SSL tunnel, to be more precise).

Secondly, I open the Arlo app on my Moto g7 phone and from there, I can access recordings.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

I've set up a VPN on my Draytek router and use their VPN app to connect via a VPN tunnel (SSL tunnel, to be more precise).

FWIW, getting this to work properly might depend on what VPN you are using, so it would be good for other folks who are struggling with this to post some more details.

I use OpenVPN, but switched from Android to iOS a while back.  My recollection is that OpenVPN didn't work on Android back then, but it does work with iOS.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think it depends on what kind of router you have, too. 

Here's the setup for Draytek routers - SSL tunnel and Android:

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5223

Or OpenVPN and Android:

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/7462

Ummie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried with Ipsec on my  Asus AX88U router and with a Wireguard setup on a server on LAN. Iphone works perfectly using both VPN and could access  local storage but not with Android.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Well, here's the evidence that it does seem to be working ok on Android. Contrary to what I said above, despite establishing a secure VPN connection, the option of port forwarding needs to be on.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

@Edinburgh_lad1  That image seems to be showing your arlo devices which your phone would get from the arlo portal via your internet access (be that direct via split tunnel or through your VPN tunnel and out to the internet from your router).

The true test, and what everybody's gripe is, is if you can see the videos on your local storage/SD card. If you go to Library in your app, there should be a drop down menu to choose Local storage or Portal (I can't recall the exact terms). If you can actually see a list of videos on you local storage, you have it working, otherwise it's broken for you like it is for the rest of us android users.

Please let us know how you go.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@pjama wrote:

If you go to Library in your app, there should be a drop down menu to choose Local storage or Portal (I can't recall the exact terms). 

The drop down is "Smart Hub."

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Boooo. It's not working.

Well done Arlo. Another cowboy job.

These guys are really amateurs screwing up everything.
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JamesC , why don't you tell your pals at the development team to stop using us users as testers/volunteers, and to kindly ask your boss Matthew McRae to get rid of the manager of the development team and employ one that is capable of managing the team, that has a vision and can think out of the box, and is in control of what is going on in that team?

Your development team is not really filling me with confidence at the moment that they know what they're doing, you know. 

Djaboloke_
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a separate VPN server running inside my network. I do not see the dropdown for smart hub.
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
So, here comes another Arlo app update for Android. Which one is it this month, because I've lost the count now?

In a nutshell: same hope to have issues resolved - same problems, just a different release number. Probably it's the same app that just has a different release number...

When will I finally be able to access direct storage videos on Android when using VPN??? All I'm getting is a message that you're aware of the problem and other users on here also have difficulty accessing them.
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Here
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
So, just for information: I got so fed up with this issue that I have written to the CEO of Arlo to complain. Whether or not I'll receive a response or something will be done about this is another matter. But it'll be telling if neither happens. I shall keep you posted.
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi all

I think I know where the problem is.

For some reason, when you connect your Android phone using a wired connection, the Arlo app will not enable access to direct storage. (I tested that by connecting a USB hub with a network connection and then putting my phone into aeroplane mode to ensure no access to WiFi or 3G mobile phone data; however, this way, you can still have Internet access through the RJ45 cable.)

So, in order for direct storage to be accessible, the Arlo app seems to be testing if you're connecting wirelessly. If you are, then you can access direct storage (maybe something to do with being on the same WiFi network, as Arlo stipulates this being a pre-requisite to access direct storage?). If you're not (which is the case when connecting through VPN), then you can't access direct storage, even though you're on the same network (because if you connect using VPN, it's seen as if it was wired.)

In other words, when you access your network via VPN, your Android device is seen as a wired device, which in turn doesn't enable direct storage access because it's not seen as a WiFi device/client by the router and Arlo app.

I could be wrong - could someone else test this to confirm by connecting to direct storage using an Android phone and a RJ45 cable by using a USB hub?
Discussion stats