Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Record & snapshot options disappear and reappear randomly

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ERoi50
Guide
Guide

I knew that I should be able to manually record something but I didn't see the 2 icons for it anymore while live streaming. I got out of the app then back in, then I saw them. But a few moments later, they were gone again! At present I only see the volume, audio and spotlight, as you can see from the photo. no record or snapshot iconno record or snapshot icon

Pro3
10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you have 2k live streaming enabled you can't manually record. If that's important, disable 2k live stream.

ERoi50
Guide
Guide

IF that is the case, then why did it allow me to do it? The feature comes and goes. If its not "allowed" or not available at all with 2k enabled, then it should NEVER appear to me. 

Pro3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ERoi50,

2K live streaming is only available when your mobile device is connected to the same network as the cameras. If your device was connected to mobile data or a different network, the stream would have been in 1080p, allowing you to manually record or take a snapshot.

JamesC

ERoi50
Guide
Guide

That was NOT the case. I have only tried manually recording while at home, on my local network, all while sitting nary 10 feet away from the wifi antenna. Below is another screenshot from my phone I took just as I was writing this reply. You can see I'm on the wifi and you can see I now have the options for snapshot and recording. After exiting the live streaming, and going back in (without exiting the app) the features were gone again. So, this doesn't track with what you are saying. arlo.jpg

Pro3
ERoi50
Guide
Guide
I also should add, that when the features DO appear, I AM able to use them to record and/or capture the live video stream.
Pro3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The stream in your screenshot is not 2K and not recognized as a local stream (no house or 2K icon in the top left hand corner), which is why the manual record and snapshot options are present. If the stream is 2K (or 4K for an Ultra camera), the options to record manually and take snapshots will not be present.

JamesC

ERoi50
Guide
Guide

I double checked my settings after you replied and confirmed that "Local 2k Live Streaming" is (and has been) ON for both of my cameras.  I now notice that I do see the 2K icon on my rear camera, now that you pointed that icon out. But since both have the setting on, why is the 1 camera inconsistent? They are both equidistant from the hub, they are both H9 hardware and have the same version firmware.  

As an aside, I cannot subjectively tell the difference in quality between the 2K and not 2K.  

Pro3
dcfox1
Master
Master

Just a long shot but have you been perhaps experimenting with the zoom and tracking feature turning it on and off on that cam. It will disable 2k when on and give you 1080p. 

ERoi50
Guide
Guide

I've never turned that feature on, actually. I have changed the field of view setting back and forth a couple of times if that makes any difference. 

Pro3
ERoi50
Guide
Guide
If I could UPDATE this title it would be: I have a camera which keeps dropping in/out of 2K mode when my settings are all set for 2K mode.
Pro3
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation