Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
CarlsJr
Tutor
Tutor

I bought my 5th camera today which is a Pro 3.  i have it connected to my base station and see it.  The issue is that it detects motion but does not record it.   ALL 4 of my other cameras are Pro2 and they have no issue in recording.  What am i doing wrong?

57 REPLIES 57
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for calling that out, annlou. This is helpful. Does this workaround also work for the others in this thread experiencing this issue?

JamesC

Idontknowu
Guide
Guide
Yes it worked for me as well. Tried it several times and the only time I would get recordings and alerts is when I turn on auto zoom and tracking
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the confirmation and detailed information on the issue. I've opened and escalated a ticket on this. I will provide more information as soon as I am able.

JamesC

rk22
Initiate
Initiate
Im having the same issue described above. jas this issue been fixed yet? I purchased these recently and set them up on December 19 and have not received any recordings. I have three other arlo pros which work fine. the two new arlo pro 3's seem to only be able to record when I initiate recording.
jeffwwolf
Initiate
Initiate

My issue was my Pro3 wouldn't detect motion or record. I just spent two days on the phone with support and they finally told me it's a known issue with the Pro3. They also told me to change to auto zoom and tracking as a work around. I find it frustrating that Arlo knows there is a problem with their devices and they continue to sell them and then charge a premium for a 2K subscription. I'm not waiting around for a fix while my free trial runs out, so I'm sending back the faulty Pro3 and getting another Pro2. Then I will also be able to keep my current Pro2 subscription plans for up to 10 cameras.

jomow
Tutor
Tutor

AND EVERYONE, RAISE A SUPPORT INCIDENT ON THIS!!

https://www.arlo.com/ContactUs/SupportRequest.aspx

LorneCD
Tutor
Tutor

Having same problems as reported in this thread, with base VMB4000  supporting 3 Pro2 cameras. Then I just added 4th camera which is a Pro3 and the Pro3 is not recording anything. Tried a variety of video settings and cannot get it to record when there is a clear moving trigger event.

Just bought the Pro3. Do I need to return it for a Pro2?

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@LorneCD wrote:

Having same problems as reported in this thread, with base VMB4000  supporting 3 Pro2 cameras. Then I just added 4th camera which is a Pro3 and the Pro3 is not recording anything. Tried a variety of video settings and cannot get it to record when there is a clear moving trigger event.

It really depends on what you want long term.  The Pro 3 may have been better named as the “Ultra 2k”, since the Ultra and Pro 3 are really in the same family and few of the actual Pro family accessories work with the Pro 3.  Adding a Pro 3 means you have one camera that uses different batteries, different magnetic mounts, different solar panels, different charging cables and perhaps different adapters.  And the Pro 3 needs different recording plans to record 2k to the cloud.

2k recording is pretty nice IMHO and I really like the new Ultra family physical hardware platform.

If your goal is to move to the Pro 3/Ultra family over the long term, it seems likely the best plan would be to add a Pro 3 with a new base and migrate your older cameras to the new base station.  In my case, I kept the Pro 2 base station and I’m just swapping out and removing cameras from it as I add Pro 3 cameras to the new base.  I may relocate the old base eventually and have it cover a different physical area around the house than the new base.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LorneCD wrote:

As @AncientGeek says, this depends on what you want.  If you want to continue with 7-day free cloud recording, and you are happy with the Pro2 overall, then I'd suggest exchanging the Pro3 for another Pro2.

If you want 2k, then you'll either need a paid subscription or you'll need to purchase a Pro-3/Ultra base and use the new direct access to local storage feature of those bases.

teutocat
Tutor
Tutor

Same effect here, but with SmartHub VMB4540r2 1.12.2.0_207_aa40f04

Motion detected, lokal recording but no cloud recording, no push notification

LorneCD
Tutor
Tutor

Many thanks for the feedback. After turning on the Pro 3 "Auto Zoom & Tracking" video setting both the recordings on VMB4000 base USB drives, and push notifications, came alive. I do like the features on Pro 3 with 2k video and image tracking. So will keep it with my hybrid Pro 2 system, then consider upgrading other cameras and base in time.

LorneCD
Tutor
Tutor

Many thanks for this feedback too. As noted to @AncientGreek I do like some of the Pro 3 video features. So although I now have hybrid Pro 2/Pro 3 system and will have to pay for service after 3-month trial I'll keep it for at least the trial period.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue resulted from a change that was made with Arlo Smart services impacting vmb4000 and vmb4500 base stations. The development team is working to release a fix for this very soon, we hope to have it available by January 2nd.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience while we work to release this fix.

JamesC

ArloWatcher
Luminary
Luminary

So today my VMB4000r3 stopped recognizing my usb device. I was hoping it was due to a firmware push. I used the web app to restart it but it never came back online. I had to unplug the power and plug it back in to get the base station to reboot and come back online. USB storage is back but I still have Firmware 1.14.1.2_2916_1fdeefd. I hope that Arlo posts to these discussions when the firmware is pushed so everyone knows. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new firmware version was released for vmb4000 and vmb4500 base stations that resolves this issue. Please check your base station firmware version to be sure you received the automatic update. For more information on this release, take a look here:

Arlo Base Station VMB4000 - 1.15.0.1_3162_d878851 - 2nd January 2020

Arlo Base Station VMB4500 - 1.15.0.1_3092_d878851 - 2nd January 2020

JamesC

Idontknowu
Guide
Guide
Thank you...I just verified that I was able to get 2k video notifications back.
ArloWatcher
Luminary
Luminary

Well it seems that after I received the latest firmware push, the recording and notifications for my Arlo Pro cameras are working pretty good. Not sure about the video doorbell yet. It's another story for my Arlo Pro 3 camera. I removed motion and tracking and have started receiving some alerts from the Pro 3, but my guess is 50% are showing up.

The mobile apps (mine android and wife's apple) seem to work better than the web browser version. You now need to download the Pro 3 videos as you get a "This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view" message.

What gives?
When is Arlo going to fix videos not showing up in libraries
When are they updating the web page?
When is the web page dumping the use of Flash?
When will I be able to view locally stored videos?
Just some of my gripes

teutocat
Tutor
Tutor

I'm still stuck at 1.12.2.0_207_aa40f04 (VMB4540r2)

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@teutocat wrote:

That appears to be the most recent version for the Pro 3 base station.  I believe the other posters are talking about the version on the Pro 2 base stations which is 1.15.0.....etc.

LorneCD
Tutor
Tutor
My VMB4000 was also stuck, not able to select firmware update, until I cycled base station off then back on. Then it auto updated firmware.
teutocat
Tutor
Tutor

@AncientGeek  schrieb:

@teutocat wrote:

That appears to be the most recent version for the Pro 3 base station.  I believe the other posters are talking about the version on the Pro 2 base stations which is 1.15.0.....etc.

agree, but Pro 3 is what the thread refers to, this is why i had expected a solution for Pro 3 in the response from JamesC

RDWW60
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here, brand new, no SD card installed either. VMB4540 Base Station 1.12.2.0_207_aa40f04, looks like I may need the update, but how to get it installed?
AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

@teutocat wrote:

@AncientGeek  schrieb:

@teutocat wrote:

agree, but Pro 3 is what the thread refers to, this is why i had expected a solution for Pro 3 in the response from JamesC

My interpretation of the original post is that the poster had a Pro 2 base and cameras to which he added a Pro 3 camera.  So I think the thread refers to that configuration.   We have to remember that Pro 3 designation refers to a camera as well as a base.  So it can be confusing.

My Pro 3 base firmware version matches what others have posted here and I think it is the latest version for the Pro 3 base.

I think you are up to date.

CarlsJr
Tutor
Tutor

since I started this thread a few asked my device info.  here it is

HW VersionVMB4000r3
Firmware1.15.0.1_3162_d878851
RDWW60
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your response.
So for my situation, what is the process to resolve/ troubleshoot / debug why the 2nd camera is not recording? It is the same symptom. Thanks
Discussion stats