Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Have tried several times now to update the Firmware manually as the automated approach isn't working...........no joy. Any ideas anyone as I'm 3 cameras down at the moment? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

They are all working real time again now, so I guess the UK distributor has approved the firmware update. Appreciate the heads up 'Guru'. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

After further investigation, in many of these cases, it was found that these firmware updates were failing due to poor connectivity/battery life with the camera in question.

To be sure your camera can successfully receive the update, please follow these steps:

1. Fully charge the battery

2. Bring the camera close to your base station/router

3. Initiate the firmware update via the Arlo Secure mobile app and watch the LED behavior on the camera. You should see an alternating blue/amber LED. If you do not see this LED behavior, attempt the update again through the app.

JamesC

44 REPLIES 44
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would appear that you're getting a message about available updates - is that true? The cameras should still be working but you can't live view due to the message. You can try rebooting your hub as well as reinserting the camera batteries to see if that helps. Also, not all countries/regions get the updates at the same time so depending on where you are there could be an issue with display vs. actual availability.

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Guru, yes you are correct. When trying to view live all I get is 'Firmware update is available'. When I try and update it just returns to the same screen. I'm in the UK. I have reset the hub, recycled the power, removed the batteries, but still its the same. I have also disconnected everything else from my router, only leaving the Arlo hub and cameras. Any other ideas please?

RetroSafe
Star
Star

starting to think they push out updates that force you to upgrade to new cameras. I have the same issue and it still haven't been fixed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not a hardware upgrade issue, it's likely the fact that firmware and app updates occur all the time in the US but not in the UK or many other locations. In the UK/EU, the potential issue is that Verisure (I'm having a senior moment - I THINK that's the  company that Arlo goes through in your location) has to sign off before the update gets to you so there's another level of complexity to releases.

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

They are all working real time again now, so I guess the UK distributor has approved the firmware update. Appreciate the heads up 'Guru'. Thanks.

CMBerry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problem, tried all the troubleshooting tips including removing and adding the cameras but to no avail. Recycled the base station, updated my wi-fi firmware, you name it.  5 out of 10 cameras not working and firmware update fails. I also have a subscription service, very frustrated that this update will not work. What to do now? Oh, I'm in US.

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

My three non-working cameras, which started working again are now showing 'Firmware Update is Available' again, so needless to say I can view them real time. Not great service. I suppose I sit around and wait for Verisure to approve it - again?!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sticky_Bunn wrote:

My three non-working cameras, which started working again are now showing 'Firmware Update is Available' again, 

@JamesC: Since Arlo pushes the firmware updates anyway, I think it'd be better if they just removed that message. 

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

i wouldnt buy it again then!  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as we have more information available to share.

JamesC

RetroSafe
Star
Star

Why we forced to update firmwares? Like if other people are having an issue it shouldn’t be resolved ASAP. Why am I paying monthly for something I can’t use. I been a customer since 2020. Been through about 6 cameras. Now i only have 2 working as of June 3, 2023. I had some issues with not being able to watch live videos from updates before. Now I’m forced to update and none of those troubleshooting tips are working. Y’all need to have lifetime warranty. Not 1 year 😒

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is really ridiculous.  AlLMOST EVERY UPDATE IS JUNK!   Do they not test it????? How many has it been as of late with major issues?? The answer always seems to point to subscription which also has probs.  Or buy or rebuy this or that.  NO. Never again.  Fool me once…   Quit sending Junk updates to a crowd of unfortunate users. End of life for the products this soon is ridiculous if it affects my 2 1/2 yr old pro 3.  

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

By the way to prove my point, you can search your issue history on here. Arlo reported incidents affecting users every month since at least March of 2023.  Im sure its longer but then the system screws up and says try back later.  Im not suprized at all.  

JanArv
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem with firmware upgrade, it seems to work when looking at the Camera Pro3 VMC4040P but the upgrade request repeatedly shows. I can not look  at live video due to this message, all other recordings work fine and the cameras seems ok but the annoying upgrade message ruins the usage of the system! My country is Sweden.

RetroSafe
Star
Star

Why we forced to update firmwares? Like if other people are having an issue it should be resolved ASAP. Why am I paying monthly for something I can’t use. I been a customer since 2020. Been through about 6 cameras. Now i only have 2 working as of June 3, 2023. I had some issues with not being able to watch live videos from updates before. Now I’m forced to update and none of those troubleshooting tips are working. Y’all need to have lifetime warranty. Not 1 year 😒

had a typo*

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

Moving the camera closer to the base overnight to catch the firmware update did not help. As I figured, after 2 yrs in same location, but worth a try.   Same issue different day as always when they send these updates. 

RetroSafe
Star
Star

I might be looking at Eufy security cameras instead. You don't need a subscription for them. Just need a SSD hard drive. If my last 2 cameras start acting up. 

JackieD0711
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the exact same problem. I was able to update 2 cameras but the other 2 cameras will not update the firmware. I have tried everything possible. I even reset each camera back to factory setting. I've removed each camera and re-added them. I've even went as far as to completely remove all cameras and the smart hub and started completely over. I made sure they were disarmed as someone suggested. I checked my router it is 5G. I have high speed internet at 350mg. I have plenty of bandwidth. I have done everything and they still will not update and to no avail. I still can't get 2 of the cameras to update the firmware. I have now been trying for 3 days. This is so ridiculous and frustrating! I need Arlo to help get this issue straightened out. I pay a subscription service and I need someone from Arlo to get a hold of me.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JackieD0711 wrote:

I pay a subscription service and I need someone from Arlo to get a hold of me.

Have you tried phone support from the app?  Don't google a phone number, that will lead to a scam support site.

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good luck getting thru for help. If you do get thru which u prob wont, depending on the producut i expect them to tell me its not supported anymore.  Agree on dont google it.  We called and found it to be a scam site. It was obvious. Then he wanted to acesss my phone or computer remote. Nope

not having it !

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Oh, and one more thing..........it's killing the batteries in those cameras!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

After further investigation, in many of these cases, it was found that these firmware updates were failing due to poor connectivity/battery life with the camera in question.

To be sure your camera can successfully receive the update, please follow these steps:

1. Fully charge the battery

2. Bring the camera close to your base station/router

3. Initiate the firmware update via the Arlo Secure mobile app and watch the LED behavior on the camera. You should see an alternating blue/amber LED. If you do not see this LED behavior, attempt the update again through the app.

JamesC

RetroSafe
Star
Star

James, we tried all these steps already. After 2 years these cameras are useless. These forced firmware updates are causing the cameras to not work. What else can you do? Can we ship back the defective cameras for replacements. Can we get a discount on the monthly subscription? Like why are we paying for something that doesn’t work.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're still experiencing an issue after attempting the troubleshooting steps above, I encourage you to reach out to the Arlo Support team via the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support and open a ticket.

JamesC

Discussion stats