Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Pro 3 Firmware Issues - won't update!!??

Discussion stats
Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Have tried several times now to update the Firmware manually as the automated approach isn't working...........no joy. Any ideas anyone as I'm 3 cameras down at the moment? Thanks.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

After further investigation, in many of these cases, it was found that these firmware updates were failing due to poor connectivity/battery life with the camera in question.

To be sure your camera can successfully receive the update, please follow these steps:

1. Fully charge the battery

2. Bring the camera close to your base station/router

3. Initiate the firmware update via the Arlo Secure mobile app and watch the LED behavior on the camera. You should see an alternating blue/amber LED. If you do not see this LED behavior, attempt the update again through the app.

JamesC

44 REPLIES 44
RetroSafe
Star
Star

James, all support is going to do is tell us the same information you just said but with no solution or a fix. What the point ? 

JKNg
Tutor
Tutor

I think it is a systematic problem ,as many users are talking about the same thing. 

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yup. System and firmware updates have been junk this year.  Many problems. We had a car stolen last month and the closest camera missed it. Didnt reset quick enough aftet recording them drive past. Another one got it most of it tho.    As of Sat am still waiting for this firmware update fix

ChrisErnst70
Aspirant
Aspirant

What I'm seeing on my cameras is the latest March 23rd firmware update. All cameras have the same firmware... however, my camera furthest away from my base station says it needs a firmware update. I brought it in the house, close to base station, the LED lights do their thing but that 1 camera still thinks it needs an update. I have read and followed all suggested solutions to no avail. Clearly it is a systemic issue. Also note....the camera that thinks it needs a firmware update was at 45% battery life when I changed it today. If the cameras are working fine why do we need firmware updates? Are they downloading engineered obsolescence?

Techie321
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not heard of an approval of firmware(in US) but I am a 4 cameras down, 3 chats equaling 3 hours.  Their response at one point…”your camera is defective, I can give you a coupon for 30% off new cameras”.  FOUR cameras can’t be defective because they won’t update.  I can go into “device utilities, camera position” and get a live feed to adjust…that’s NOT a defective camera. If they are, I’m clearly going to buy newer better cameras elsewhere that don’t go defective in a year.

For the record, I have removed the camera/s, reset the cameras, reset the hub and removed the hub.  Added the hub, added the camera/s, tried updating at beginning of that process, at the end of the process and during the process.  It always bounces back to “Firmware update available”.  (And at the end of all this, the camera position option still shows a live feed to adjust!) 

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unacceptable.  Ive done that as it was mentioned above. Are u a bot or something?  If you are our contact then we wanna talk to your boss James B.  Issue is NOT resolved. A discount on subscriptions is also not the answer i store my own. Dont want the service

Rcar1313
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dont you think weve tried  that? It says reach out here as well so lets go around in circles.  That service is terrible and good luck getting thru to a live person if anything at all.  

ChrisErnst70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok. I again....this morning, removed my camera from the base station and re paired it with base. Updated software (again) and this time the LED flashed blue/amber for almost a minute as opposed to 10 seconds like before. It updated (or thinks it did). Camera working normally now. I did leave the base station without power over night but I don't think that helped as camera still wouldn't update until I removed and re paired it. 

Kwoof9
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I click on the solution for firmware update not working I  Pro3 cameras the link doesn't take me to a solution. I have removed and reinstalled my 3 Pro3 cameras and there is always one which says it needs an update from March 31 2023

AlexNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I started to experience the same issues as described by others here, about 4 or 5 days ago, after the latest software update. The new firmware for the cameras won't install automatically, and regardless of what I try doing (and I am tech savvy) I can't update the firmware manually. As a result, I can't view the camera feeds live (because of the message 'firmware ...." blocking the view AND the camera batteries are draining rapidly because the cameras keep on trying to update the firmware automatically.

This is clearly a software issue, please take it seriously Arlo, and fix the problem. Stop gaslighting us and provide a solution that will actually work (yes I've tried your suggestions).

Kwoof9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. I have been on the phone with them for hours over the last few days.

They know it is on their side. I finally have a rep who actually called me and is tracking the issue.

Definitely report it by using Support thru settings. They don't know how many of us are affected until we report it.

Sabastian
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have there been any update on the firmware issue? This is frustrating. Would you please let me know if there is any news on it. Thank you.

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Well it's been another week now and I still have three cameras that I can't view real time. I'm not sure Arlo actually care about restoring service!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is continuing to investigate reports of this issue for users who continue to experience this behavior after trying the troubleshooting steps pinned above. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available to share.

JamesC

Sabastian
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is this problem only effecting certain batches of these cameras? I have 4 original pro 3 and 1 newer pro 3. Of the 4 original, 1 just stoped working. I had to buy another pro 3. The 3 others are fine no update issues yet. Just so frustrated with a camera system that you spend good money on. Hopefully Arlo does right by it customers but so far it seems like the customers are out of luck.

Techie321
Aspirant
Aspirant

MYSTERIOUSLY….. after much back and forth with Arlo customer service….my three, Pro3’s are working properly and the black firmware update screen has disappeared.  I wish I could give you all an explanation why…but I don’t know.  The black update screen just disappeared.

Kwoof9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I can go live thru the one camera that needs updating but it still shows it needs updating.

On another pro3 it is not recording or when it does it is not recording for the specified timeframe I have set. It records for 2 to 10 seconds.

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Snap. My three Pro 3’s also started working yesterday!

Sabastian
Aspirant
Aspirant

My pro 3 also started working again. When I say again I mean the update message is gone on the screen and I can use the live feed feature but in the settings option it still has the message saying there is an update available. I have tried to update it but no luck. At least it’s a step forward and I can still use it. Hopefully the update issues get resolved.

Gitchacatcha
Aspirant
Aspirant

My cameras are connected to the indoor cable and the battery power is green as it is charging. I am still not able to update the firmware. Any ideas?

Discussion stats