Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Connecting Cameras to Single or Multiple Bases?

Reply
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 242 Views
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mgeorgecoolcool
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Arlo Support Circle,

 

I'm setting up two cameras around the perimeter of an extremely large facility.  Since the WiFi out of the base is not far-reaching enough to cover the locale of both cameras I have a question: Is it best to purchase two bases to provide connectivity for the two cameras, or is there are better trick to consolidate both cameras under a single base?  Thanks in advance for any input.

 

Best,

 

MG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mgeorgecoolcool
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB.  I'm going to go with two bases.  

 

MG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mgeorgecoolcool wrote:

 

I'm setting up two cameras around the perimeter of an extremely large facility.  Since the WiFi out of the base is not far-reaching enough to cover the locale of both cameras I have a question: Is it best to purchase two bases to provide connectivity for the two cameras, or is there are better trick to consolidate both cameras under a single base?  

 


There's no way to extend the base wifi.  So you'd need two bases.

 

If the regular wifi has good signal at the camera locations, you could also use Pro 4 cameras, and connect them to the regular wifi instead of the base.  You wouldn't get local storage.

 

The wifi would need to use WPA2-PSK (AES), with not require user logon (e.g., no RADIUS server).

mgeorgecoolcool
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks StephenB

If I use WIFi directly for the Arlo Pro 4 cameras I would need to establish two independent WiFi routers in two different areas of our building based on distance issues. (Extenders are unsatisfactory.) If I do that, am I able to establish the cameras seamlessly under a single Arlo account without superfluous toggling ? I don’t know if this has any advantages over purchasing an additional base for the Arlo Pro 3 2nd camera. Perhaps these ideas are effectively the same…
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mgeorgecoolcool wrote:
If I use WIFi directly for the Arlo Pro 4 cameras I would need to establish two independent WiFi routers in two different areas of our building based on distance issues.

If the base signal won't reach both areas, then you'll need at least two devices that will.

 

They could be access points, mesh router satellites, routers in their own right, or extenders of some sort.  Personally I'd be looking at access points, powered over ethernet. instead of two routers.

 


@mgeorgecoolcool wrote:
 I don’t know if this has any advantages over purchasing an additional base for the Arlo Pro 3 2nd camera. Perhaps these ideas are effectively the same…

They are effectively the same as far as the cameras are concerned. Some factors are

  1. Smarthubs would allow you to use direct access to local storage (potentially eliminating the need for a subscription)
  2. Access points might be cheaper than bases (which are hard to find right now).
  3. Having general wifi in the building could be a benefit (hard to say w/o knowing more about the facility and how it's used).
  4. Access points would be deployed a bit differently (generally are ceiling mounted).
mgeorgecoolcool
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB.  I'm going to go with two bases.  

 

MG

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 243 Views
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation