Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 records but video does not play, Receive message: "Missing CODEC" OXCOOD 5212

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ridgeviewcourt
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have 3 security cameras which have been working fine, one camera now records but we are unable to play video in the library, the camera sends the following message: "Missing CODEC"  .....  Video is encoded in an unsupported format OXCOOD 5212

We have no issues viewing videos on the other two cameras they are all hooked up to the some HUB and we use the same computer for viewing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ridgeviewcourt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I downloaded the VLC media player, and I was able to play and view the video recording, it is a hassle to download the video to play it. But that solution did make it possible to view a video from the library.  

The last activation on my problem security camera, after turning on the auto zoom feature, solved the problem. 

I would have never figured that out. Hopefully this will get placed on the problem-solving page for the Arlo Community. (so both solutions worked) The video quality is somewhat compromised with the auto zoom on. 

Thank you very much for your help, it should be very helpful to others experiencing the same problem. 

Darrell

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ridgeviewcourt,

Are you on a PC when you see this error or are you using a mobile device?

JamesC

Ridgeviewcourt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Windows 10 PC

We have 3 cameras and the videos play fine on two of the cameras. 

For some reason this camera records and will not play back.

I can play the video on my phone but not on my pc. Too weird.  

I assume it is my PC but why is it that just the one camera? 

Thanks, Darrell 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ridgeviewcourt wrote:

We have 3 security cameras which have been working fine, one camera now records but we are unable to play video in the library, the camera sends the following message: "Missing CODEC"  .....  Video is encoded in an unsupported format OXCOOD 5212

We have no issues viewing videos on the other two cameras they are all hooked up to the some HUB and we use the same computer for viewing. 

What camera models are these?  

I am thinking the one that doesn't play is a 2K or 4K camera (and the others are 720p or 1080p).

Ridgeviewcourt
Aspirant
Aspirant

All of the cameras were ordered at the same time and are Pro 3 

As stated I do have the ability to view the video on my phone, just this one camera will not play back on my PC, I prefer the PC. 

Thanks, 

Darrell 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ridgeviewcourt wrote:

All of the cameras were ordered at the same time and are Pro 3 

There are issues playing back HEVC encoded video in many web browsers - most do not support it.  Arlo uses this format for 2K and 4K recordings, but not 720p and 1080p.  But I'm not certain that is the problem you are seeing.

1. What browser are you using?
  2. Do you have "Auto Zoom & Tracking" turned on for the cameras that do work?  (this is in the video settings for the camera).
  3. Can you try downloading VLC from https://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ?  Then download a video for the problem camera, and let us know if the VLC media player plays it.

Ridgeviewcourt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I checked the auto zoom and it was on the camera that works and off on the camera that was not playing. 

I have turned the camera on auto zoom and I will be able to check the next time it is activated to see if that works. I will also try downloading CLV media. I did look at some of the available CLV video apps but have not downloaded one yet. I will try that if the zoom does not fix it. 

Thank You for your help. 

Darrell  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ridgeviewcourt wrote:

I will also try downloading CLV media.

VLC media player - not CLV. 

To be clear - VLC is not a fix.  You'd have to download each video, and then play it with VLC on the PC.  Which of course is possible, but a nuisance.

That is just to confirm that the issue is the HEVC codec.  If you can play videos recorded with auto zoom and track turned on, then that will also confirm that the problem is the HEVC codec.

@Ridgeviewcourt wrote:

I checked the auto zoom and it was on the camera that works and off on the camera that was not playing. 

Auto zoom will lower the video resolution to 1080p, which also changes the codec to AVC (which is supported in all browsers).

It might be possible to play the full 2K on your PC - it depends on how old the PC is, and what browser you use.

I can play them on my own PCs using the Edge browser (not Chrome or FireFox).  This requires

• A PC with a 6th generation Intel or AMD processor (or later of course)
  • Installing the Microsoft Windows HEVC extension (purchased from the Microsoft store for $0.99 USD)

Newer Macs can also play them in Safari - but I don't own a Mac, so I'm not certain on the requirements for them.

Ridgeviewcourt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I downloaded the VLC media player, and I was able to play and view the video recording, it is a hassle to download the video to play it. But that solution did make it possible to view a video from the library.  

The last activation on my problem security camera, after turning on the auto zoom feature, solved the problem. 

I would have never figured that out. Hopefully this will get placed on the problem-solving page for the Arlo Community. (so both solutions worked) The video quality is somewhat compromised with the auto zoom on. 

Thank you very much for your help, it should be very helpful to others experiencing the same problem. 

Darrell

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation