Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
volunteer007
Guide
Guide

I have (4x) Pro 3 cameras and an Essential wired video doorbell in my system.  In the past, when I have not been able to view live video from any of these cameras from a web browser, it has been a flash issue.  I have not been able to find anywhere in my current version of Edge,  96.0.1054.62, where Flash can be turned on or off and believe Flash is no longer supported.  I have also tried Chrome with the same results.  This issue only has to do with viewing live video.  Viewing historical video is not an issue with my Arlo Smart Premier Multi Camera subscription.  Viewing live video from any camera is not an issue using the APP on my phone and is isolated on a browser. 

Any ideas???

Thank you for your response.

Best answers
  • StephenB
    Guru
    Guru

@Motorin wrote:

I have been able to view my Arlo 3 cameras for some time now with both Firefox and Edge. 

Livestreaming works because Arlo always streams AVC 1080p video to the web browser.

@Motorin wrote:

Also I've found that Edge allows you to view clips without downloading

Yes.  That works for me too.  There are some caveats - 

1. The CPU has to have HEVC hardware support.  Intel and AMD 6th generation and later have this.
    2. Most PCs also need the Microsoft HEVC Windows extension installed (available from the Microsoft Store).  There are some who've found they don't need this - I suspect their PC had it pre-installed.

• StephenB
    Guru
    Guru

@bvest wrote:

It is insanely anti-customer-centric for Arlo to chose a video codec that is unsupported by Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.  

FWIW, it is supported by Edge (assuming a 6th generation processor or newer).  Though that does require getting Microsoft's HEVC extension for Windows from the Microsoft Store.

37 REPLIES 37
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I've been seeing this also (and others have also reported it). @JamesC , @JessicaP , @ShayneS : is this something Arlo investigating?

@volunteer007 wrote:

In the past, when I have not been able to view live video from any of these cameras from a web browser, it has been a flash issue. 

Arlo dropped Flash for everything except CVR in May 2020, and dropped it for CVR in June 2020.  So this is no longer a possible cause.  

https://www.makeuseof.com/adobe-flash-player-support-ends-today/

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not able to reproduce any issues streaming cameras using the web browser.

Is this happening with all web browsers or a specific browser? Is the issue intermittent or does it always occur?

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC wrote:

Is this happening with all web browsers or a specific browser? Is the issue intermittent or does it always occur?

It consistently fails on my work laptop (Windows 10 Enterprise, both Edge and Chrome).  Just tried 7 cameras - three Ultras, two Pro 2s, a Pro 3 Floodight,  and an AVD1001 -  and they all failed.  All are connected to VMB5000 bases.  The request times out, and then the image on the main screen updates to a new snapshot anyway, so something worked.

I tried a older desktop (running Windows 10 Professional), and it is working fine there with Edge, Chrome, and Firefox.

So it's apparently something about the PC, and not the browser.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's not working in Windows 10 & Edge for me. I can't view any of my cameras recordings. Maybe in a day or two it will start back.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I also just tried on the same computer using chrome, still a no/go. This is no surprise because it hasn't worked in Chrome for a while.

I get this message in both browsers.

"This video is not able to play in your browser.
Please download to view."

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@K80Shooter wrote:

I also just tried on the same computer using chrome, still a no/go. This is no surprise because it hasn't worked in Chrome for a while.

I get this message in both browsers.

"This video is not able to play in your browser.
Please download to view."

The original problem was about livestreaming - not viewing recordings in the library.  Can you livestream the cameras in Chrome?

You won't be able to view 2K or 4K recordings in chrome or firefox, because they don't support the HEVC compression that Arlo uses at those resolutions. 

Newer Windows PCs (Intel or AMD Gen 6 or later) can view them with Edge, but most will first need you to install the Windows HEVC extension (which has a small cost).  Note the HEVC extension is a windows extension, not a browser extension. 

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No, I can't live stream either and have not been able to in a while but it just wasn't that big of a deal. I have tried this on both my desktop and laptop with a no/go.

I knew that you couldn't view recordings in Chrome for a while that's why I changed over to Edge. It's been a week since I tried to view any recordings and just saw today that I couldn't view them. I have not tried on my laptop but will tomorrow. Yes I have the extension on both computers. I'll also try to reset the extension if possible.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I did just reset the extension but that didn't help. Firmware is up to date on the cameras.

Motorin
Tutor
Tutor

I am having same issue with being able to view live stream on my desktop and Android app but not on my laptop.  All are on the same network (home). I have tried MS Edge, Firefox, Chrome browsers and added Vivaldi browser but still not live streaming video on laptop. The laptop has been able to view live stream in recent past so I don't think internet security would be the issue. This appears to be a recent problem and not just with Arlo Pro 3 as my son has Pro 4 with same issue.

volunteer007
Guide
Guide

Good Evening JamesC,

I am not able to view live stream on any of my cameras in either Edge or Chrome.  The error that I am getting is, "Request timed out".  I do not have this issue with live streaming camera feed from my phone...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A possible issue using the enterprise OS could be settings done by IT. I assume the laptop is a work one (most people at home don't even know what the enterprise version is) so you may need to have IT allow access to arlo.com.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

A possible issue using the enterprise OS could be settings done by IT. I assume the laptop is a work one (most people at home don't even know what the enterprise version is) so you may need to have IT allow access to arlo.com.

I can access my.arlo.com, change settings, and review recordings.  The only function that doesn't work is live streaming (and at one point it did).  

While I can't rule out an IT setting that's not under my control, I don't think that's the issue.  As I have time, I'll be testing on other PCs, and maybe take a wireshark trace or two.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well starting this morning I am able to view recordings again but still can not live view on any camera. All it ever say's is..... Please Wait then after a bit...... An unexpected error occurred. Please try again.

Not that big of a deal but that's just what mine is doing.

Motorin
Tutor
Tutor

Update: The problem seems to be with just laptops. I have tested two on different desktops and three different laptops on my home network. All desktops can view live streams but none of the laptops. This appears to be an issue with the Arlo web portal.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it works on anything it's not an Arlo issue. If using an Internet security package on the laptops check their settings. You can temporarily disable the software to see if that helps.

volunteer007
Guide
Guide

Interesting the traffic on this issue.  I am using a personal laptop with all the details provided in the original post.  

"I have (4x) Pro 3 cameras and an Essential wired video doorbell in my system.  In the past, when I have not been able to view live video from any of these cameras from a web browser, it has been a flash issue.  I have not been able to find anywhere in my current version of Edge,  96.0.1054.62, where Flash can be turned on or off and believe Flash is no longer supported.  I have also tried Chrome with the same results.  This issue only has to do with viewing live video.  Viewing historical video is not an issue with my Arlo Smart Premier Multi Camera subscription.  Viewing live video from any camera is not an issue using the APP on my phone and is isolated on a browser."

I am running Norton 360 but with no VPN turned on.  I will continue to investigate later this afternoon, but have not been able to determine a resolve.  I am still getting a "The request timed out" when trying to view live video feed from any camera.  No issues with watching recordings...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@volunteer007 wrote:

In the past, when I have not been able to view live video from any of these cameras from a web browser, it has been a flash issue. 

Not any more.  Flash was removed from browsers about 12 months ago, and Arlo stopped using it about 18 months ago.

FWIW, this is an issue on my work laptop, but other PCs I own seem to work ok.  I haven't had a chance to try and troubleshoot further.

volunteer007
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the response StephenB.  After deactivating all Norton features, I still get the same response.  I have an iMac that I tried earlier this evening and also got the same response.  I am able to view recordings but not live feed.  I will try a work laptop and desktop tomorrow and respond.

Thank you again!!!

volunteer007
Guide
Guide

I am having the same result with my work laptop.  Any ideas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WOrk laptops may well have some setting (perhaps in security software) that can cause these issues. Contact your IT folks to see if they will work it out.

volunteer007
Guide
Guide

jguerdat, sorry I was not clear.  This issue is repeatable on a personal laptop, personal iMac and work laptop.  I am getting the same response not able to view live camera feed on (3x) different devices.  Works fine from my phone using the APP, but not on any computer I have tried using Edge or Chrome....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't answer that since it works here. It may be a software issue, especially around an Internet security package. SInce the app works, what about using your mobile browser set to use the desktop version of the site?

RetroSafe
Star
Star

yeah same here. Already got a Case Number set up but I think its time to issue replacement cameras at this point its going on 2 weeks and no solution. I did all the reset, resync, etc. steps and nothing is working. I had this service since Feb 2020 and all these issues are happening now.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RetroSafe wrote:

yeah same here. Already got a Case Number set up but I think its time to issue replacement cameras at this point its going on 2 weeks and no solution.

If you have the same issue (can't livestream to a browser, but everthing else works - including livestreaming to the app), then I don't see how replacing the cameras would help.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation