Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can no longer view live camera feed within a browser

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
volunteer007
Guide
Guide

I have (4x) Pro 3 cameras and an Essential wired video doorbell in my system.  In the past, when I have not been able to view live video from any of these cameras from a web browser, it has been a flash issue.  I have not been able to find anywhere in my current version of Edge,  96.0.1054.62, where Flash can be turned on or off and believe Flash is no longer supported.  I have also tried Chrome with the same results.  This issue only has to do with viewing live video.  Viewing historical video is not an issue with my Arlo Smart Premier Multi Camera subscription.  Viewing live video from any camera is not an issue using the APP on my phone and is isolated on a browser. 

Any ideas???

Thank you for your response.

Best answers
  • StephenB
    Guru
    Guru

@Motorin wrote:

I have been able to view my Arlo 3 cameras for some time now with both Firefox and Edge. 

Livestreaming works because Arlo always streams AVC 1080p video to the web browser.

@Motorin wrote:

Also I've found that Edge allows you to view clips without downloading

Yes.  That works for me too.  There are some caveats - 

1. The CPU has to have HEVC hardware support.  Intel and AMD 6th generation and later have this.
    2. Most PCs also need the Microsoft HEVC Windows extension installed (available from the Microsoft Store).  There are some who've found they don't need this - I suspect their PC had it pre-installed.

• StephenB
    Guru
    Guru

@bvest wrote:

It is insanely anti-customer-centric for Arlo to chose a video codec that is unsupported by Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.  

FWIW, it is supported by Edge (assuming a 6th generation processor or newer).  Though that does require getting Microsoft's HEVC extension for Windows from the Microsoft Store.

37 REPLIES 37
RetroSafe
Star
Star

So what's the next step since replacing defective cameras aren't the issue? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

At this point, wait on Arlo.  

FWIW, I have this problem myself on one of my PCs (which of course is the one I generally use for my.arlo.com).

Hopefully they will fix it soon. 

volunteer007
Guide
Guide

Curious if Arlo will respond to this thread when a fix is made?

RetroSafe
Star
Star
If you are out of the 1 year warranty period they aren’t doing anything but giving you a 30% off promo code for your next purchase. Multiple people having the same issues. It’s not my fault the cameras just stopped working out of no where. It’s a software/server issue. Every camera should have lifetime warranty.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@RetroSafe wrote:. Every camera should have lifetime warranty.

I wish also but in the real world that does not exist for any Eletronic device now days much less other products. 

volunteer007
Guide
Guide

Interesting, I am hoping it is a software issue that can be resolved with a patch or firmware update....

bvest
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am selling two entire Arlo setups and moving to Amazon Ring as a result of this codec debacle.  It is insanely anti-customer-centric for Arlo to chose a video codec that is unsupported by Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.  The *entire* point of having a web connected security system is the ability to view recorded or live streams.  You must either use your phone or Apple Safari, which has native codec support for the codec Arlo has chosen to enable viewing video from a computer browser.   Bye Arlo.  You lost this customer and everyone I talk to about home security.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bvest wrote:

It is insanely anti-customer-centric for Arlo to chose a video codec that is unsupported by Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.  

FWIW, it is supported by Edge (assuming a 6th generation processor or newer).  Though that does require getting Microsoft's HEVC extension for Windows from the Microsoft Store.

Motorin
Tutor
Tutor

I have been able to view my Arlo 3 cameras for some time now with both Firefox and Edge.  Also I've found that Edge allows you to view clips without downloading whereas downloading is necessary with Firefox.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Motorin wrote:

I have been able to view my Arlo 3 cameras for some time now with both Firefox and Edge. 

Livestreaming works because Arlo always streams AVC 1080p video to the web browser.

@Motorin wrote:

Also I've found that Edge allows you to view clips without downloading

Yes.  That works for me too.  There are some caveats - 

1. The CPU has to have HEVC hardware support.  Intel and AMD 6th generation and later have this.
  2. Most PCs also need the Microsoft HEVC Windows extension installed (available from the Microsoft Store).  There are some who've found they don't need this - I suspect their PC had it pre-installed.
volunteer007
Guide
Guide

After the most recent Microsoft update, using Microsoft Edge, I can now see live camera feed.  

pgehringer3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem. What I found was that particular camera was linked to a second base which was too far away when the battery got low (less than 35%). The live view showed on my mobile app, but not the desktop. When I fully charged the battery, it had enough power to reach the remote base. I don't quite understand why I could see live view on the mobile app, but not the desktop, however charging the battery fixed the issue. Moving the camera closer to the linked base or running power to the camera are another options.

mrgeemoney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you soooo much!!!

It's definitely the Chrome browser that is the issue!

I used Microsoft Edge and now I can see all of my 3 cameras live!!

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation