Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera limit on new smarthub?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
jayhova1
Guide
Guide

Hello All,

Does anyone know if I upgrade to an Arlo Pro 3 or Ultra kit with the smarthub does it have camera limits?  I currently have 6x Arlo Pro 2's with a base station that I paid more for so I could have up to 10 cameras.  If I purchase a kit with the new smarthub can I move over my 6x Arlo Pro 2 without having to pay more for more cameras?  Or can I somehow port the camera count capability from my existing base station?  I would be discouraged from upgrading if I had to somehow pay for extra cameras again.  BTW I also have a doorbell and chime I would like to use all on one smarthub or base station.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Like all Arlo products, the limit is how many total cameras you have for your account. The number of bases or how they are connected has no bearing - it's all about the total number of cameras per account.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Like all Arlo products, the limit is how many total cameras you have for your account. The number of bases or how they are connected has no bearing - it's all about the total number of cameras per account.

jayhova1
Guide
Guide

Just to confirm if I replace my existing base station that shows it supports 10 cameras with a new smart hub I should be able to use it with 10 cameras?  Thanks.

brh
Master
Master

@jayhova1,

as previously mentioned, if you currently have the Smart Premier subscription, changing the base/hub should make no difference to your subscription, but as a precaution I would add the new hub and move the cameras over to the account first before deleting the old base. You could also keep the old base just because it has a built-in siren if that is important to you.

Brian

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@brh wrote:

You could also keep the old base just because it has a built-in siren if that is important to you.

Other reasons you might want to use both bases:

1. There is a limit of 5 simultaneous streams per base, and spreading cameras across both avoids hitting that limit.
  2. Multiple bases are more robust, since if one goes off-line or fails you still have some coverage.
  3. Multiple bases (in different spots) can extend range/improve connection quality.
  4. Modes on the two bases can be independently scheduled - which can make it easier if you have two groups of cameras that want to schedule (say indoor/outdoor).
brh
Master
Master

I agree with all the above points. I have all my outdoor cameras on one hub and all the indoor cameras on a second hub I can set them up with separate schedules or arm/disarm them individually.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

One other point for those that are interested - the original HD, Pro and Pro2 cameras all will integrate with Samsung Smartthings. The newer cameras won't.

Brian

jayhova1
Guide
Guide

No Smartthings is not ideal but maybe not a deal breaker.  I've been contemplating moving my Pro 2 into Smartthings but then I would lose rich notifications and object detection so I haven't done it yet.  Good to know though.  

Thanks everyone for the answers and good ideas about splitting across two hubs.  Hopefully these new hubs are more reliable.  I still often have issues with the doorbell and chime too.  Connections are not reliable.

brh
Master
Master

@jayhova1,

I found out that for my automations with the Arlo cameras, that if I don't use the Smartthings notifications, I get the Arlo Rich Notifications.

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation