Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Chas_M
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi there guys, I’ve recently bought an Arlo Pro 3 but I’m struggling to get it connected. After plugging in the (VMB4540) Smart Hub to ethernet and power the LED goes blue, but does not want to connect to my account - when I try to add it via my phone or from arlo.com.

I have tried a few different set ups, but I’m trying to connect it to an Orbi mesh system.

All online articles are mainly talking about older hubs - the one with 3 led lights - so not much help.

Would love any advice

Thanks in advance
41 REPLIES 41
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sounds like when the led goes blue, it is already connected ??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Chas_M,

Take a look here for definitions of LED behaviors on a SmartHub: What do the LEDs on my Arlo SmartHub or base station mean?

A solid blue LED indicates the SmartHub is connected to the internet.

Do you already have an Arlo account or are you setting up a brand new account? If you already have an account, start by making sure you're mobile device is connected to the same network as the SmartHub, then log in and tap " Add New Device" then select Base Station / SmartHub and follow the on screen instructions.

JamesC

Chas_M
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the reply!

I have started a new account, and have followed the set up instructions to add a hub but it still can’t find it.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Chas_M,

Is the Arlo SmartHub connected to an Orbi satellite or the main Orbi router? If connected to a satellite, try connecting to the main router and see if you experience different results.

JamesC

Chas_M
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your reply James.
Yes it’s connected into the main Orbi. Is there any specific settings I need to have? It’s weird the light is blue (so connected to the internet) but it doesn’t want to

Just to be clear, I’m going into the new Arlo app, logging in, going to settings, going to New System Set Up, Going to Arlo Base Station. Doing the steps - the LED goes blue but it’s not discovering the Smart Hub. I’ve reset the hub several times. Still nothing.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Chas_M,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this issue.

JamesC

Rookblue
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have new hub and account and can’t find the password for my hub
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Rookblue wrote:
I have new hub and account and can’t find the password for my hub

The hub does not have a password.

It operates via an online "My Arlo" account. Use this with a mobile app or your browser.

The wifi bit of the hub, if that is what you mean, is beyond your control. The hub talks to the cameras with wifi, but connection to the internet, and your local network, is via the wired LAN link between your router and the hub.

By the way, you have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Marshview28
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same problem. Arlo Pro 3 directly connected to the modem. I see the connection on my wifi, but arlo base doesn’t connect. Flashes orange at first then goes solid blue. Fails to connect. Tried all of the recommendations. Even reset modem.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Marshview28 wrote:
I am having the same problem. Arlo Pro 3 directly connected to the modem.

What is this modem?

@Marshview28 wrote:
Flashes orange at first then goes solid blue. Fails to connect.

Solid blue = connected.

So what else is going on? What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Marshview28
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am using an Optimum Router. I am also using an Orbi mesh. I am connected directly into the router
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Marshview28 wrote:
I am using an Optimum Router. I am also using an Orbi mesh. I am connected directly into the router

It probably isn't relevant here, but unless the Orbi is in wireless access point mode that smells like two routers on the same network, which is not a good idea.

And the other questions? What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

Just another user
Mikey94025
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward wrote:

It probably isn't relevant here, but unless the Orbi is in wireless access point mode that smells like two routers on the same network, which is not a good idea.

I think your point is very relevant.  If the Orbi is not connected to the router in Access Point (AP) mode and instead connected in Router mode (see here), then it creates a double NAT situation with two different networks.  Devices connected to the Orbi may not be able to see devices connected to the router.  That could make it difficult for the Arlo app (on a mobile device connected via wi-fi to Orbi) to discover a new Arlo base station (if connected directly to the router).

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

But the message said "I am connected directly into the router", not to the Orbi system. But as you say, is the wifi connected to the router or the Orbi?

However, without answers to the other questions, I am guessing. The hub seems to be connected to the Internet. But that is just the start of the process.

Just another user
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mikey94025 wrote:
If the Orbi is not connected to the router in Access Point (AP) mode and instead connected in Router mode (see here), then it creates a double NAT situation with two different networks.  Devices connected to the Orbi may not be able to see devices connected to the router.  

Agreed.  Arlo does handle double NAT - I do double-route with my Orbi in router mode behind behind my ISP router. But my Arlo base is connected to my Orbi's ethernet, not the ISP router - which works fine.

FWIW, there are often good reasons for double-routing, so it's not necessarily a "bad idea".  In my case, I use OpenVPN.  Orbi includes it in router mode, but not Wireless AP mode, and my ISP router doesn't have it at all.  If I drop the ISP router, then I lose cable TV services.  So double routing is the only way to get all the services I use.

Corey123019
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having this same issue, I also have Orbi routers. My video doorbell will connect but now out of now here my two pro 3 cameras won’t connect. I’ve had no problems for a few months, now this. I’ve tried resetting the system, re-syncing the cameras and nothing works! I’m so aggravated I’m almost ready to call it quits with Arlo all together!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Corey123019,

What is the LED behavior on your SmartHub? What error messages are you seeing within the app that indicate an issue?

JamesC

Keebler25
Initiate
Initiate
I am also having issues. Perhaps the app is the problem.
My hub light is blue (connected to the internet) however the app says it cannot find any arlo devices.
I logged out of the app and tried to log back in (yes, on the same device I used previously) and I get an error message stating “We do not recognize this device.”
I have followed every step, over and over. No success yet.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Keebler25,

Is this a brand new SmartHub or has it been used previously? Have you tried factory resetting the SmartHub before trying to add it back to the account?

How can I reset my Arlo SmartHub or base station to the default values?

JamesC

brh
Master
Master

I am having the same problem on a VMB5000 that has worked for over a year. I think during a rain storm it might have lost power when trying to update the firmware. This has happened to two VMB5000s in less than a month.

Brian

KingTom
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently bought an Arlo Pro 3 Kit with smart hub and two cameras. The Arlo App doesn’t connect with the smart hub. Blue led is lit in smart hub. Tried factory reset, unplugged and started new install, connected to TP-Link M5 mesh hub, connected directly to telecom hub, swore at it ( I have to admit that wasn’t helpful!). Smart hub shows up on my mesh network, assigned priority to it etc. Still not connecting to Arlo App. I connected the Pro 3 cameras to my existing Pro 2 hub and they are working poorly, one drops Connection to hub Frequently. I placed a call to Arlo Support and hope that they will respond before 90 day support period from purchase date expires. Very good experience with Arlo Pro 2 system, very very poor experience with Arlo Pro 3 system 😤
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KingTom,

What does the signal strength icon show for the cameras? If the signal is poor, this could be why you're experiencing issues.

JamesC

KingTom
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

Thank you for your response. The issue is that the Pro 3 smart hub is not recognised by the Arlo App. I have a Pro 2 base station and the Pro 3 cameras are currently connected to it.

Hansen_Mom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I am having the same issue.  Our system has been connected for about 3 weeks and I woke up to our Arlo Pro 3 system not working, even though the smart hub light is blue.  I've tried resetting and troubleshooting the hub several times, reloading the app, and my iPhone is not finding the smarthub base. I'm totally confused!  Any help??

Thanks,

Casey

Discussion stats