Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 3 smart hub not connecting

Discussion stats
Chas_M
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi there guys, I’ve recently bought an Arlo Pro 3 but I’m struggling to get it connected. After plugging in the (VMB4540) Smart Hub to ethernet and power the LED goes blue, but does not want to connect to my account - when I try to add it via my phone or from arlo.com.

I have tried a few different set ups, but I’m trying to connect it to an Orbi mesh system.

All online articles are mainly talking about older hubs - the one with 3 led lights - so not much help.

Would love any advice

Thanks in advance
41 REPLIES 41
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KingTom, Hansen_Mom

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Eythor13
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem as most here.

I've got two Arlo Pro 3 systems, both with 3 cameras. (not on same networks, or countries even...)

The first one has had no issues at all.

The second one seemed to be no problem either. Got the solid Blue Led light and thought that everything was good, as with the first system setup.

However, it seems there are other hidden obstacles this time around.

Neither the app nor the web setup finds the base station. Tried all kinds of tricks & advices from the support and community pages.

Now waiting for those Arlo tech guys to call.

Not to happy about this waste af my time.
KingTom
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Eythor,
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same issues with your Arlo Pro 3 smart hub as I have.
An Arlo tech person contacted me and he did indeed appear to have a great deal of knowledge on all things Arlo. I followed his advice, including the customisation of ports on my telecoms router ( go figure, the Arlo 2nd. Generation smart hub manufactured by Netgear worked straight out of the box, but the third generation smart hub manufactured by Arlo is a dud??) . The tech was very helpful, however, his advice did not work. To add insult to injury, I received several follow up emails requesting a status update, to which I submitted detailed techno history of port settings, factory resets, images of Arlo Boiler plate for Pro 3 smart (dumb) hub etc. However, I kept getting responses requesting updates to issue. Eventually I was informed that my case was closed. Honestly, I would really like to swap out the Arlo Pro 3 “dumb” hub for an Arlo Pro 3 ( Netgear) Hub that works. I hope this response is not too despondent!!!
Eythor13
Aspirant
Aspirant

I didn't know there were two different types of this HUB. How do I know which one I've got?

I'll just have to wait for the tech guy and see how it plays out....

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Eythor13 wrote:

How do I know which one I've got?

Look at the label on it.

You will also find the HW Version in Device Info in the browser and the settings section for your hub(s).

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Eythor13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I´ve looked on the label and there are plenty of numbers and stuff there. Makes for an interesting reading.

However, I´ll need some knowledge about what set´s the two apart also.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

The footer in your message says VMB4540. Look for something similar.

For more details try the HW Version in Device Info in the browser and the settings section for your hub(s). This will also show the release number. I have VMB4540r2 and VMB5000r4 among others.

@Eythor13 wrote:

However, I´ll need some knowledge about what set´s the two apart also.

I fear that this may be an urban myth.

Talk of "Arlo Pro 3 “dumb” hub for an Arlo Pro 3 ( Netgear) Hub" doesn't make sense.

Netgear has  had nothing to do with Arlo for some time now.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Eythor13
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've got the VMB4540 as it says in the footer. That is the only thing I can find on the bottom af the Hub.

However, I guess I can't find any HW versions before I can actually find the Hub in the app or with the browser. And that is for the time being not the case.

I'll just have to wait for Arlo to call and see what they can do.

Do they usually keep their "call you back promises...."?

KingTom
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Eythor,
The Arlo Pro 3 smart hub was manufactured by Arlo as Netgear split from Arlo in Feb 2018. Netgear manufacture first class network communications technology, so I guess Arlo is playing catch-up in the communication smart hub business??
Eythor13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi KingTom,

They most likely are. 

They certainly are lagging behind when it comes to customer service....

MrEngenic
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue. Connected 2 PRO 3 today (but it took many attempts, each attempts searching about 5 minuters. Then I lost connection to the hub, removed it and when I try to set it up again it doesnt find the hub. Have spent all day. Did someone find a resolution?
dcfox1
Master
Master

@MrEngenic wrote:
I have the same issue. Connected 2 PRO 3 today (but it took many attempts, each attempts searching about 5 minuters. Then I lost connection to the hub, removed it and when I try to set it up again it doesnt find the hub. Have spent all day. Did someone find a resolution?

To clarify do you mean the camera lost connection to the hub or the hub lost connection to internet. 

MrEngenic
Aspirant
Aspirant
I managed to reset the hub now and reinstall it from the web
Eythor13
Aspirant
Aspirant
My solution was through my ISP. They gave me a static IP adress and that solved all issues.

Arlo customer service was nowhere to be found though, only arrived when the party was long gone and didn't have a clue anyway.

Guess it was the Corona....
MrEngenic
Aspirant
Aspirant
After reinstalling it worked for 15 minutes then all units went offline. Says Arlo unit is offline make sure it is connected to the internet. Base station blinks red. Then base station comes blue and after force restart of the app the PRO 3 comes online but my PRO 2 is unconnected for another minut. Now they work.

Very unstable system!
PLIV
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here. Just spent 4 hours trying to get the app (as well with a desktop) to  identify the Pro 3 hub station without success (have of course also reset it multiple times). Arlo support is said to call me back but guess may take some time... Have a system with main router linked with ethernet cables to three separate Linksys mesh networks all set in bridge mode (one on each floor for better wifi). Could this be the reason, i.e. using the app on my iPhone while connecting the hub to a network switch (same as the mesh is connected to)? On the other hand tried also using my desktop wired to the same switch but still not working. Any ideas?

KingTom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi PLIV,

I feel your pain!

Firstly, the Arlo Pro 3 smart base station should work when plugged into a mesh hub.

Secondly, the ARLO technical advisors possess a very impressively high level of technical knowledge. Therefore, if you do not hold degree qualifications in advanced micro-electronics, computer technology, and advanced communications technologies, then I suggest that you employ a technology consultant to take instructions from the Arlo Technical Advice desk, otherwise you will be wasting your time.

The biggest advances made in recent years with all connected technology including smart phones, wifi routers, connected Amazon devices, Heating Control Units (the list goes on and on), is the simplicity of end user "Plug & Play" ease of use.

If any technology company is selling a product for general consumer use (i.e. to people with little of no computer or internet communications technology savvy ) then using their produce should be as simple as "Plug it into the power supply" & "Play".

If the product requires an advanced level of technological "Know-how" then it should come with a consumer warning, something like the following- "WARNING- This product is not intended for the casual user. The Vendor assumes that the Customer has a lot of time on their hands and a vast knowledge of Internet communications technology with at least 20 years experience in the design, installation and maintenance of advanced un-friendly technology.

If you do not resemble this Customer then this product is DEFINITELY NOT FOR YOU"

Solution - I ordered an Arlo Pro 2 Smart Hub VMB4000 (One made by NETGEAR) that I successfully used with my Pro 2 and new Pro 3 cameras.

Question: "Aha", you say, "then why did you order a Pro 3 hub with your new Pro 3 cameras"?

Answer: I didn't know that the Pro 3 Smart Hub was not so smart when I ordered it, and I needed to extend the range to connect external cameras via a mesh network.

Question: Why didn't you get Arlo to fix your brand new  Pro 3 smart hub?

Answer: I contacted Arlo and spoke with a very learned gentleman who gave much learned and considered advice on how I might get my new Arlo Pro 3 Smart Hub to actually work. It became abundantly clear to me rather quickly that the Arlo Pro 3 Smart Hub issues were way beyond my humble knowledge of electronics and computer technology to solve. I humbly submit that I have barely 37 years experience working with electronics including computer and communications technologies and hence I feel that I am under qualified to address the Arlo Pro 3 technical issues.

As I had already burned way to much time trying to get the Arlo Pro 3 smart hub to work, I felt it would be far easier and  way cheaper for me to buy a second Arlo Pro 2 Base Station. Plug it in, pair my new Pro 3 cameras and safely dispose of the Arlo Pro 3 Base Station, with its blinking red light, in an appropriate recycling centre for electronic rubbish.

I hope this is helpful.

P.S. The Arlo cameras are really good when you get them working.

Discussion stats