Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Usmaak
Star
Star

I have had this camera up and running since early in January. It will work fine for a while, and then it will suddenly stop detecting motion. If I turn the camera off and then back on, it will work for a while and then it stops again. It is happening at least once per week. I have the latest firmware on the camera and the base. The camera is plugged in to an outlet outside. When it is working, it does a great job of picking up motion. When it stops working, it picks up no motion at all. I have tried removing it and re-adding it. I have unplugged it, pulled the battery, put it back, and plugged it back in. Nothing I do works for very long. I have a 1gb up/down connection. It happens at all times of day and night. This last time, it stopped working at 12:13 this afternoon and I noticed it several hours later. 

Any ideas on how I might fix it? Or is it just defective?

34 REPLIES 34
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Usmaak,

When you say you have to turn the camera off and then back on, what exactly are you doing? Are you rebooting the SmartHub?

What is the LED behavior on the SmartHub when you notice the camera is no longer detecting/recording motion? Are you still able to live stream the camera when this happens?

JamesC

Usmaak
Star
Star

I mean that I am turning the camera off and back on in the app.  I have tried rebooting the smart hub a number of times and it hasn't made any difference.  Also, it sometimes reboots itself all on its own.  I'll look over at it and it will be flashing orange, and then after a couple of minutes it goes back to blue.  The times that it does this do not correspond to when the camera stops detecting motion.

When I notice that the camera is not detecting motion, the light is Blue on the smart hub.  If I go into the app, I can see the live streaming view with no problems.  It just doesn't detect motion.  Using live view does not start the motion detection back up.

wvcaudill2
Star
Star
I'm having the same problem with one of my Arlo 3 cameras as well. The CVR remained working, just not the motion detection.

It's odd because my other cameras continued to detect motion during the same time period.
Usmaak
Star
Star

It has gotten a lot worse for me.  I'm having to restart the base every other day now.  Sometimes I miss an entire day because I didn't realize it was down.

I'm getting ready to toss this entire system and get something that is reliable and actually works.  I spent way too much money on this, to be having these problems.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Usmaak wrote:

It has gotten a lot worse for me.  I'm having to restart the base every other day now. 

That sounds like it might be failing hardware.  I suggest contacting support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

wvcaudill2
Star
Star

Mine also appears to be getting worse. restarting the camera, base, and wifi is not fixing this now. 

Even the CVR has periods of time missing from the timeline today. Yet there are still times where the CVR properly records and detects motion yet the video clips of a motion detection event do not show up in my library.

Additionally, when I try to play the live feed, the app just continually flashes black without ever refreshing the feed.

ThePickle
Tutor
Tutor

@wvcaudill2 wrote:

Mine also appears to be getting worse. restarting the camera, base, and wifi is not fixing this now. 

Even the CVR has periods of time missing from the timeline today. Yet there are still times where the CVR properly records and detects motion yet the video clips of a motion detection event do not show up in my library.

Additionally, when I try to play the live feed, the app just continually flashes black without ever refreshing the feed.

I came here to make my first post about this specifically. It started happening just after midnight EST yesterday (5/18). I also tried restarting the base, turning off/on the cameras in the app, and pulling the batteries to reset the cameras individually. I have three Pro 3s, they're all brand new in the last two weeks, firmware is current, and they're all plugged in to official Arlo outdoor power cables. 

When I check the CVR timeline, it typically shows zero recordings between midnight on the 18th and now; however, if I try over and over again, it will occasionally show the CVR footage during that period, but with numerous interruptions, where it looks like it stopped recording or lost connection. So essentially, 95% of the time I check the CVR timeline over this time period, it shows no recorded footage, but will then every so often show footage as it should, so I know it IS actually recording properly. 

In addition to the above, smart person alerts were lagging by 20-30 minutes today, from when I would walk through the activity zone, to when the notification would pop up on my iPhone and the motion would show up in the history within the app.

Not sure if related, but I started receiving this error message around the same time that I noticed my cameras weren't working as described in this post and the OP (covered portion of S/N):

IMG_0304.jpg

Kconner2225
Initiate
Initiate
I have two cameras. One is working fine but the other goes off line often. I can’t view live. Or get recording . It seems to have a mind of its own when it wants to work. It’s completely useless. These are only 3 months old. I’m about to toss it in the garbage my self . Completely unreliable. Really disappointing for the money.
dcfox1
Master
Master

This is an old thread but what trouble shooting steps have you taken to help you here.   You can also read the FAQ here to help. 

Usmaak
Star
Star

I have had trouble tickets going with them since March.  In that time, they have thrown every troubleshooting step at me that they can think of, including a lot that don't make any sense and are obviously from a script.  Once they ran out of ideas, they stopped responding to the trouble ticket.  I've sent them several messages on it and they haven't responded to them.  They're now ignoring me.  These need to be replaced with something that works, but they absolutely refuse to do it.  My warranty is up at the end of November and they are probably hoping that I'll just give up. 

But I don't give up.  This morning I opened up a case with the Better Business Bureau against Arlo.  We'll see what comes of it.  I know one thing.  I will never buy another Arlo or Netgear product.  I had one of their routers fail on me after three months and they did the exact same thing - they kept giving me useless troubleshooting steps until I gave up.  In this case I had to give up and move on because I need a solid internet connection for work.  

The Arlo Pro 3 system is a dud that should never have been released.  This isn't a good company to work with.  If you buy one of their products, you'd better hope that it doesn't have issues because if it does, you're out of luck.

wvcaudill2
Star
Star

I have also had about a dozen different phone calls with them regarding this issue. They always start out the same. I am on hold for half an hour, then someone answers and tells me to further hold while they review my case. After about 5 minutes they come back and ask me to re-explain the whole situation again. It's clear the technical support employees are unable to grasp or understand the problem. After reaching out to multiple company executives I had my case "escalated."

After this point the technical support employee used screen recording to actually view the problem, take copies of the camera logs, and check my internet speed. I am having issues with both of my Arlo Pro 3 cameras now, even after Arlo replaced one of them to rule out a hardware defect.

His only suggestion was that I contact AT&T to ask them to setup "Quality of Service" for my base station on my router. I told him that my AT&T-supplied router does not seem to possess this feature at which point I was told that my case cannot be escalated further until this has been tried. 

Usmaak
Star
Star

Once I filed my BBB complaint, they woke up and started responding.  They asked for a good time to call and I said this morning.  It's no longer morning and no call.

It amazes me the length that they go to NOT do a warranty replacement.  I have a top line router and a 1Gb up/down FTTH connection and they've tried several times to blame my internet.  It is not my internet.  In the three years that I've had it, it's gone down twice.  PC Magazine recognized my internet provider as the top internet provider in the country.  It is NOT my internet connection.

They suggested putting the cameras closer to the hub.  The cameras are currently about 8 feet away from the hub.  If I moved them closer, then they'd be under the eaves and unable to see anything.  The only other way to achieve this is to put the hub outside in the weather, which would be stupid.  If a camera has to be closer to a hub than eight feet, then it is worthless garbage, anyway.  Their procedure is to give you some task that makes no sense or is not possible to do , and then deny tech support when it can't be done.

Imagine how much time and money they could save if they just replaced defective equipment.  Imagine how much goodwill they could generate by treating customers well.  I know that if they'd step up and replace my defective equipment that I'd tell everyone who asked about my cameras.  I'd recommend them.  Instead, I go out of my way to talk people out of buying this garbage.  My theory is that the Arlo Pro 3 is a dud across the board and that they don't want to admit it.  I base this on all of the complaints that I've see online.  What kind of security camera has barely functional audio?  It's a common complaint.

wvcaudill2
Star
Star

In my case one of the cameras that wasn't working correctly was warrantied and replaced. However the replacement camera is having the same issue, along with another Pro 3 camera I purchased.

This leads me to believe there is a firmware issue or server issue.

SilverRain3
Tutor
Tutor
I agree this is a firmware issue. It only happens when constantly connected to power. The batteries can’t handle the constant power and freeze up the camera. If you pop out the battery and put it back in they work again for a few days. Frustrating because what is the point of solar panels if you constantly have to unplug after charging. I love the cameras otherwise but they really need to fix the issue in the programming.
JANMAN82
Initiate
Initiate

SilverRain3, may I please ask how you figured out the cameras can't remain plugged in? I have had Arlo Pro's and Pro 2's in the past with no issues. Rarely would the base station require a reboot. I always had them plugged in with permanent power using the Arlo outdoor power adapters. Arlo cameras have additional function when connected to a constant power source. Like three second pre-recording, and additional range via A.I. I switched to Arlo Pro 3's for the 2K resolution and purchased Arlo's outdoor magnetic power adapters. Since I set them up 10 months ago I have had to reset these cameras daily. I have multiple cases with Arlo because the cameras will randomly stop recording. I have four cameras and it is completely random. There is no consistency for which camera will stop recording or detecting motion. I have set my wifi routers 2.4ghz channel to 1,6, and 11 with no improvement.  Arlo has sent me a replacement base station which provided no improvement. All cameras will work for a few minutes and then one or two will stop. The Arlo App reports Strong for video bandwidth all four cameras.  I reset the base station and they all work for a little, then a different one or two will stop working. One will always work out of the four, but between the four it always changes which work and which don't. I have unplugged all the cameras today once I found your post and they are all working. As long as they are on battery like you stated. How do we fix this because now their range is drastically reduced as well as their sensitivity of motion? I have to get very close to the cameras to initiate recording. Now I will have to monitor the cameras and recharge as needed. These are very expensive cameras to not function properly as designed using authentic Arlo accessories.

SilverRain3
Tutor
Tutor

So the way I found out is because I didn't start out with them all plugged in. My dad lives next door and I have one at his house, but found that because of the diminished range I was swapping batteries constantly and decided to plug his in. I found that in a range of 24-72 hours the camera would freeze up and in order to get it working again I would have to pop the battery out. I decided to test the theory on one of the two cameras that I have on my house and within 2 days of having it plugged in on full power it was doing the same thing, while my rear camera that has never been plugged in works just fine. 

This is clearly a programming issue. If this was not an issue with earlier cameras then it has to be a bug within the new design. I agree these are too expensive to be doing this and it is rather frustrating as now it seems impossible for me to use the solar chargers that I bought. 

I am testing another theory at the moment. I have the plug off the camera and will plug it back in when the camera gets lower to see if it works through the trickle charge but I am still in the process of that. I suspect I will still have to remove the charger once it is fully charged. 

Since I have gotten the cameras there have been no updates to the firmware. I suspect that is all that is needed but I don't work for the company and all I can do is post this hear and hope they listen. 

Usmaak
Star
Star

Arlo finally started ignoring my requests for help, so went to BBB.org and added a complaint.  Within a few days, they got back to me and said that they wanted to send out new cameras.  The sent me Arlo Pro 2 cameras.  I complained and they sent out Arlo Pro 3 cameras that I will install this weekend.

My running theory was that the high temperatures around here in the summer were confusing it and causing it to go offline.  I based this on the technology used and the high temperatures that my location has during the summer, and the fact that for me, it started happening when the temps got hot.  That and I haven't had problems since it started getting cooler.

If it really is the case that it has to do with being plugged in, that is a huge disappointment.  I paid $$$ to have my front wired so that I could plug them in.  I like the three second look ahead and my area is busy and I don't want to have to climb ladders to change batteries every week.

I wish I'd never bought these cameras.  Between the the almost complete lack of sound (I can only hear high pitched sounds like crickets, birds, children screaming, and yappy dogs) and the total lack of reliability, these things have been nothing but a year long nightmare.  I feel like the Pro 3 is a product that should have never been release and was largely abandoned.

wvcaudill2
Star
Star

This has been an exceptionally frustrating issue. 

On top of my cameras still not working correctly, I now can't even login to update my cases as the links provided to me to view my case give me an error 403. Now I am opening a new case just to be able to see my other case. 

At this point, I am reaching out to any high-level executive I can find in hopes of making them aware of the serious issues with the Arlo Pro 3 cameras / firmware. However, I suspect they are already more than aware that there is a problem based on the tech support call wait times I've encountered.

SilverRain3
Tutor
Tutor

So just so everyone is aware. The tickets I opened they read wrong and just assumed that the solar panel isn't working. So I did a chat session and their only solution is send me a new camera. 

I have swapped batteries, removed and reinstalled cameras, tested power and non power connected cameras, wifi strength, validated the firmware is up to date, charge to 100% leaving power connected vs removing power, etc. All signs point back to it being an issue with the firmware not being able to handle the extra power and it causes the camera to lock up.  Support is unable to do anything once you get to that point. 

I refused the new camera. I do enjoy the Arlo product but the lack of response/support/resolution has caused me to walk away. I will be looking for a different solution and told support that. It is too expensive of a product for it to being doing this. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@SilverRain3 wrote:

I have swapped batteries, removed and reinstalled cameras, tested power and non power connected cameras, wifi strength, validated the firmware is up to date, charge to 100% leaving power connected vs removing power, etc. All signs point back to it being an issue with the firmware not being able to handle the extra power and it causes the camera to lock up. 

FWIW I have several cams with latest FW on Solar and AC and have not had your problem so not sure it is a FW problem but can't say why you are having this problem. But it could be a connection problem with the power cable. 

Trevshops
Initiate
Initiate
My Pro 3 cameras do not record on motion and miss events. This happens frequently when they’re connected to power. Reading this thread and it looks like the system is not reliable or fit for purpose. Having spent £750 on this system plus a monthly subscription I’m going to return it under UK consumer protection law
Dddddddd
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello I have the same issue, that happens to me every other day, I have a strong signal in all my cameras, this is very frustrating, I have 10 Arlos. 6 pro 3 and 4 essentials. I think that I will be returning all of them. This is ridiculous, Maybe then the technology is better in one or 2 years I’ll buy them again, I will give a last shot if not I’ll be returning all 10 cameras, What a Shame because I pay for flood light installation and accessories
Dddddddd
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same thing happened to me and this Constantly it’s very frustrating
Surch
Aspirant
Aspirant

Count me as another unhappy customer.  Pretty much the same issues here as well.  Everything worked just fine until the FW update.  1 of my 4 cameras stopped recording and live streaming.  Tried every troubleshoot and went thru 3 chat sessions and 1 live session with a CSR.  No solutions.  They won't send me new hardware because it surpassed the 1 year warranty.  What a coincidence that the FW update happens after the 1 year expiration.

I assume this is why they are selling their products via Costco at a steep discount, knowing someone like myself will buy it before researching the complaints.

If you look back to the complaints from 2019 FW update on Pro 2s, you will find the same complaints.  Weird, isn't it?

Discussion stats