Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ready10000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Purchased the Arlo Pro 3 2K QHD Wire-Free Security Camera System Model #VMS4440P at Best Buy two days ago.   I plugged in the SmartHub to my router and within 30 seconds lost internet at my modem.   I have a Verizon Modem and a Linksys Smart Wi-Fi WRT 3200 ACM.   I tried several times disconnecting everything, rebooting, and reconnecting, but I was unable to ever discover the device.   Each time I did this it would eventually end with the internet becoming disabled.   I called customer service and they walked me through the same process of rebooting without a positive result.  They then suggested that I get a static ip address.  I asked how I do that but they didn't know.   I then researched online others that were experiencing this problem and came across an Arlo community board post from a person name GURU that suggested that you do not need a static ip address which you need to order from your internet provider.   No where on the marketing materials or the packaging does it even suggest that someone may need a static ip to run these devices.   GURU suggested that you open ports that may be blocking data to Arlo.netgear.com.   I logged into my router to open ports  80, 443 and 123 but my router requires an IP for the Smarthub to open those ports.   When I plug in the Arlo Smarthub my router doesn't even recognize the device to give it a unique IP address.    I've hit a road block and I'm not sure what do now other than to return the product and buy a competitor product.  I'm not going to purchase a static ip, so if that's the only solution, I guess I'm all done.

I'm hoping someone can help troubleshoot this before I do that.  I'm going to start posting this in reviews because I didn't realize how difficult it would be to setup a product that looked to be plug and play.

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't need a static address, and you shouldn't need to forward ports.

Can you let us know the color of the LED on the base when you connect up the base station to the router?  Also, what color is the LED on the router LAN port that you are connecting the base station to.

Hoosierson
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought my Arlo pro 3 today and I am having the exact same issue. My smart hub keeps flashing amber. I too cant get an IP address from the smart hub to even try to open ports. This is all way above my head was just hoping this was a plug and play. Anyone got any ideas?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Hoosierson wrote:
My smart hub keeps flashing amber. I too cant get an IP address from the smart hub to even try to open ports.

As @StephenB says, you should be able to ignore things like ports and IP addresses.

You simply plug the hub in to a LAN port on your router.

Then use the Arlo app to set it up.

It might help if you said what that router is, and maybe also, if there is one, the modem that sits in front of it.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Hoosierson
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a motorola modem/router model MG7550. I returned the smart hub and got a new one as ARLO said it might be bad. Just plugged in the new one and same problem with flashing amber. This is a nice modem/router havent even had it 2yrs. This has got to be a simple fix somewhere. Also when trying to open ports I cant as the arlo smartgub doesnt have a IP address assigned to it.
Hoosierson
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you ever get a solution? I have the exact same issue.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hoosierson wrote:
I have a motorola modem/router model MG7550. I returned the smart hub and got a new one as ARLO said it might be bad. Just plugged in the new one and same problem with flashing amber.  ... Also when trying to open ports I cant as the arlo smartgub doesnt have a IP address assigned to it.

When it's amber, it has ethernet connectivity but no internet connectivity (e.g., no IP address).

Have you tried a different ethernet cable and a different port in the MG7550?

Hoosierson
Aspirant
Aspirant
If by port you mean the LAN plug in then yes I tried them all. I have a playstation 4 and that's it that is attached to modem. I have tried two different ethernet cables.
ready10000
Aspirant
Aspirant
Customer service never offered a viable solution for me. I ultimately had to return the product. I purchased a Ring and the plug and play has been so easy.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hoosierson wrote:
If by port you mean the LAN plug in then yes I tried them all. I have a playstation 4 and that's it that is attached to modem. I have tried two different ethernet cables.

Yes, I meant the LAN port on the modem.

Perhaps try resetting the base station (if you haven't done it already).  If that still fails, you should contact support again.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation