Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 2k recording

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi looking at upgrading to Arlo pro 3 but I have read somewhere that you cant view 2k recordings unless you download them? Currently I have Arlo pro 2 which I go onto the app and just watch my daily videos, can I not do this with pro 3 in 2k?
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shaun1234 wrote:
Hi looking at upgrading to Arlo pro 3 but I have read somewhere that you cant view 2k recordings unless you download them? Currently I have Arlo pro 2 which I go onto the app and just watch my daily videos, can I not do this with pro 3 in 2k?
Thanks

The 2K video uses HEVC (H.265) compression, and that isn't available on all devices.  Generally it is available on newer phones and tablets - but it might not be available on your PCs.  Even if it is, Firefox and Chrome won't play Arlo videos that are larger than 1080p.  You can however use Edge on a Windows PC (assuming your hardware supports HEVC @ 2K).

Downloading will work on many devices with no hardware HEVC support if you use a media player with software decoders (such as VLC). 

There is more info on this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062189/Which-devices-are-supported-for-HEVC-4K-or-2K-playback

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shaun1234 wrote:
Thanks

The 2K video uses HEVC (H.265) compression, and that isn't available on all devices.  Generally it is available on newer phones and tablets - but it might not be available on your PCs.  Even if it is, Firefox and Chrome won't play Arlo videos that are larger than 1080p.  You can however use Edge on a Windows PC (assuming your hardware supports HEVC @ 2K).

Downloading will work on many devices with no hardware HEVC support if you use a media player with software decoders (such as VLC). 

There is more info on this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062189/Which-devices-are-supported-for-HEVC-4K-or-2K-playback

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Ok great, so as long as my new android phone is a good one I should be able to play K2 recordings through the app without downloading the recording?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shaun1234 wrote:
Ok great, so as long as my new android phone is a good one I should be able to play 2K recordings through the app without downloading the recording?

Correct.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation