Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 3 Subscription Questions and mixing older arlo

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
FuzzyWolf
Star
Star
Hey Guys,

I am thinking of adding 2 more Arlo cameras to my setup and considering the Pro 3s and its smarthub.

I currently have 3 of the old Arlo Wire-free and planning to keep using them in addition to the Pro 3s. My first question is when using the Pro 3 and its new smarthub, will that affect my old Arlo’s free 7day cloud recording? I plan to just use one smarthub/base station.

Also with regards to the Pro 3s now requiring a subscription, what features are available without the subscription? Will I still get notifications when it detects motion? And would I still be able to look at past recordings if I use local storage via the internet(ie not at home but directly to the smarthub)?

The reason I want to go with the Pro 3 over the other Arlos is that it has a siren on the cameras and I need it as now my old security system has died and hopefully add more sensors if/when arlo decides to add those zigbee/zwave window and motion sensors that they showed at last year CES. For now my plan is to use some of the old arlos as motion sensors inside the house and trigger sirens if anything happens.
3 REPLIES 3
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I leave it to more knowledgeable observers to answer the other bits, but I noticed this:

@FuzzyWolf wrote:
The reason I want to go with the Pro 3 over the other Arlos is that it has a siren on the cameras ....

I would read around here for comments on that. For some people, the volume of the Pro 3 siren is poor.  You wouldn't want to get them home and be disappointed by their loudness.

@FuzzyWolf wrote:
For now my plan is to use some of the old arlos as motion sensors inside the house and trigger sirens if anything happens.

If this is the aim, I am not sure that Camera A can trigger the siren on Camera B. It doesn't seem to work like that here.

These might be helpful:

Arlo subscription plans and cloud recording

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FuzzyWolf wrote:

I am thinking of adding 2 more Arlo cameras to my setup and considering the Pro 3s and its smarthub.

If you want to use the free recording on the older Arlos, then I suggest keeping them on their current base, and setting up the Pro-3s on their own hub in a separate account.  Then use grant access to allow you to see the cameras from the old account in the new one. 

This does have some limitations - in particular, you won't be able to cross-trigger between the two bases. But it is the best way to ensure that you don't lose the free cloud recording you have now.  Although Arlo intended that cloud recording to be preserved, it's clear from postings here that there are scenarios where the free recording has been lost when folks add subscriptions for the Pro3 and Ultra to their existing account.

Of course if you want a subscription for all your cameras, then you can just add the pro-3s to your current account.

FuzzyWolf
Star
Star

Yeah I had a look at some reviews on youtube talking about the siren on the camera. Might just change my plan and get the pro/pro 2 instead. At least that way I’d still be able to keep my free cloud storage.

If this is the aim, I am not sure that Camera A can trigger the siren on Camera B. It doesn't seem to work like that here.

Sorry if it was a bit confusing my plan was to have Camera A detects motion then Siren on base station/smart hub + other camera + chime(I just ordered the audio doorbell). Is this not possible? Or does it work like only Camera A detect motion and siren on that camera + base station only?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation