Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Grafixx01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh, so I'll make this simple. I'm looking at trying to extend the signal for my cameras. Really, I want to increase the signal strength to the cameras.

I was looking at getting WiFi extenders or like a home-mesh system (Linksys preferred, since all my routers are Linksys) so that the cameras have a better signal.

So here's the question...  Am I reading it right that you have to plug the extender into the base station for the thing to work? Usually the extender just gets plugged into a power outlet and then added to the wireless network. I'm not in the mood to move the base station as its in a place where my wife allows and doesn't want my "gadgetry all over her house" so any help would be great.

Thanks,

G

6 REPLIES 6
Linusl
Luminary
Luminary

Arent the Arlo 3 cameras in need of the basestation so extending your wifi will not give you anything? Are you talking about the fllodlight, I think that one can connect to your wifi.

Grafixx01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think they do but that's why I'm not sure if an extender would work or if I have to add like another base station to it to see if that helps. (I'm not sure the wife would like another base station in the house).

Linusl
Luminary
Luminary
Nah. You need arlo pro 4 to connect directly to your wifi router. Arlo pro 3 requires the arlo hub/basestation.
Grafixx01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wonder if I can just add a Arlo 4 camera to my existing Arlo 3 system....

Linusl
Luminary
Luminary

But you wanted to have the cameras in your wifi instead of to your hub/basestation. So there is no existing Arlo 3 system if you want the cameras to connect directly to wifi. But yeah, the arlo pro 4 can connect to your arlo 3 hub/basestation if you want it that way but I am pretty sure that is what you do not want to do.

Linusl
Luminary
Luminary
Or if you do not need 2K res then buy arlo essential cameras. They can also connect directly wifi without a hub/basestation.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation