Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android Emulator for Video

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SageGrouse
Tutor
Tutor

I posted earlier that I wondered if anyone had loaded an Android Emulator onto their desktop PC in order to run the Arlo App?  Since the videos will not play on a PC running Windows 10 with any web browser that I have found the only way to play them on a PC is to download them and use VLC Media Player or similar which is additional, completely unnecessary in my opinion, steps and it's starting to get old.  The videos play just fine on the Android smart phone so I was wondering if the Android mobile app will work the same on my PC as it does on my phone or if the HEVC video issue will cause the same problem when using the emulator.

I did do this and it's relatively impressive.   I installed BlueStacks which is Android Emulator software (free) which was built for running android games on a PC.  Then I downloaded the Arlo mobile app just like you would do on your smart phone.  For BlueStacks to properly run the Arlo videos I had to jump through some hoops and get into the BIOS of my PC to enable "virtualization technology" which was kind of a pain but now I can watch the Pro 3 videos on my PC without a problem (full screen) and I don't have to download them and watch on VLC media player or similar.  Only problem is if deleting a large amount of videos I still log on to the Arlo website which is much easier than doing them one at a time on the Android Emulator but for just a few the Android Emulator works just like your phone.

I might try to post more on this but it's kind of cool right now that I can just buzz through a bunch of videos without downloading them.  Also all the information (date, time, etc.) can be seen on the videos when using the emulator.  And another thing is you don't have to log out and it won't time out (or it hasn't yet) and the Arlo 3 monitor screens are much larger now when using the emulator than when logged onto the Arlo website to view the cameras.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SageGrouse wrote:

I did do this and it's relatively impressive.   I installed BlueStacks which is Android Emulator software (free) which was built for running android games on a PC. 

FWIW, I tried this with Bliss a few months back, and that doesn't work.  You can install the Arlo app, but it won't run.

So if you try this with a different emulator, it'd be good to share which ones work and which ones don't.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation