Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
wswhite
Tutor
Tutor

So I'm getting this dreaded message and can't get rid of it. Camera is not connected to AC it is using battery. Is it true that I have to use AC to get zone alerts? Please don't respond with 'Turn off zone alerts' as that would defeat the purpose. Thanks in advance.

19 REPLIES 19
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You either need AC power or a Smart subscription to use zones.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

You either need AC power or a Smart subscription to use zones.

Correct.  But there is a bug in the system somewhere at the moment, so I am seeing the same error even though my cameras are on a subscription.

sw3ll3r3
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issue currently with all 3 of my cameras. I contacted support today and was on live chat for 2 hours and guess what.....no solution. They opened a case which I assume will never be looked at. Currently getting 40+ notifications on my driveway cameras due to cars going by. I am pretty annoyed about the subject. So annoyed I already started looking at a new camera company.

wswhite
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for responding. I have a 5 camera  Arlo Smart Premier Multi Camera subscription and I still have the same error message on one camera. Are you still experiencing the same error?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

kds0321
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get this error as well.  Not on a subscription.  Also see nothing in my library (I expected some amount of days saved and ability to download without subscription).  I spent an unbelievable amount of money on Arlo to get zero value unless I pay monthly.  Ready to send back.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kds0321,

Arlo Pro 3 requires a subscription to an Arlo Smart plan to utilize cloud activity zones and to save recordings to the library. For more information on subscription plans, take a look here: What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud recording is available?

JamesC

kds0321
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks James, I purchased this based on the advertising that 7 days recordings to library was included without a subscription, and 30 (or more) with a subscription.  That was a critical promise when I purchased these.  I need to know how I can get the 7 days' recordings promised, or how to return, these do me no good without that.  Thanks!

dcfox1
Master
Master

@kds0321  The 7 day storage is for the Pro2 and older not Pro3 and newer. Not sure who promised this to you and on the box it says 3 month smart subscription included so you should have that. You should return it to where you bought it. 

kds0321
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the help @dcfox1.  $800 invested and zero value.  Will be returning.  Hopefully the company collects feedback on this.

dcfox1
Master
Master

If you don't mind where did you buy it that told you the Pro3 had 7 day free cloud storage. You could use local storage with a USB in Smart Hub. 

kds0321
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased from Costco, however did research online first.  I believe it was on Arlo directly, however may not have distinguished between the Pro, Pro 2, Pro 3 to know that this wasn't included in the Pro 3.  I did watch some Arlo videos about this and when setting it up, mentioned in the setup (on app) that 7 days was included.  Simply put, an $800 purchase shouldn't require a subscription to run the basic product.  Does a local storage device allow me to play the videos on my phone?  I'm happy to plug in a USB device for storage if so, if it will automatically write over the old videos, and still allow me to save the ones I need to save.  Seeing this on my phone is a critical feature (I have an older system that saves on a hard drive already).

dcfox1
Master
Master

I just use it for back up to cloud but yes to most of your questions. You won't get thumbnails on phone but an icon to download the individual recording. you can put the USB in computer to view after ejecting it from hub I wish  it was different. Here is an link. 

https://kb.arlo.com/1146850/How-do-I-view-videos-saved-on-a-local-storage-USB-device

Kl13
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same message and can’t see any clips in the library. I thought the cameras came with 7 day cloud storage without a subscription. Now I see the cameras are worthless without a subscription. Looks like I’ll return them to Costco as well. The cameras are offline more often than they are online. It seems every time I want to check a camera, it was offline. Why would I spend more money on something that rarely works. I’ve called customer service, wasted time waiting for no solution other than I should change channels. What! No help at all.
wswhite
Tutor
Tutor

I've found that I have to use MS Edge to see and/or playback items in the library. My system stopped showing the "AC power has been disconnected from your Arlo device." message. I want to say that I unplugged my Smarthub from the wall for about 30 seconds then plugged it back in. I won't swear this was the remedy but I haven't see the message for sometime. 

Do you have an Arlo subscription?

Kl13
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kl13 wrote:
No, I don’t have a subscription.

Do you have activity zones configured?

There are two types of activity zones - cloud and local.  Both are configured using the same UI in the app/browser.

Cloud activity zones require a subscription.  Local activity zones require AC power to the camera.  

You will see this message if you

• have activity zones configured
  • have no subscription
  • are not supplying ac power to the camera
Kl13
Aspirant
Aspirant
To enable activity zones the app says you have to be connected to AC. The cameras use batteries. The app doesn’t give an option to delete activity zones. Bottom line, without a subscription, the cameras are worthless. Second problem, they’re offline too often to be relied upon. I’m looking into Euify cameras and returning these.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kl13 wrote:
To enable activity zones the app says you have to be connected to AC. 

If you don't have a subscription that is true.

@Kl13 wrote:
The app doesn’t give an option to delete activity zones. 

Actually it does.  You swipe left on the zone.

Though in general I prefer to set up zones in my browser.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation