Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 41 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Borg123
Tutor
Tutor
Anyone else having issues with the floodlight and time it stays in. I have selected 1m when motion is detected but it only stays in for 10 seconds. Even if I change it to stay in for 5m is still goes off after 10 seconds. Opened a case with support but as usually they are useless and take literally weeks to respond.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Borg123,

You can adjust the recording duration within your modes and rules. When motion is detected, the light will engage and stay on for the duration of the recording.

For more information on adjusting an existing mode, take a look here: How do I edit an existing mode on my Arlo system?

JamesC

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Borg123,

You can adjust the recording duration within your modes and rules. When motion is detected, the light will engage and stay on for the duration of the recording.

For more information on adjusting an existing mode, take a look here: How do I edit an existing mode on my Arlo system?

JamesC

LightenUp
Guide
Guide

I followed the Arlo.com instructions to increase the time the floodlight stays on but when I get to the page to click on the pencils, there is no pencil or "edit" to click on. All the other topics have a pencil.

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

Same here.  When my floodlight cam detect motion, it records for 30 seconds but the light only stays on for 10 seconds.  Kinda defeats the purpose...

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

I did some more digging.  My Floodlight cam will only turn on the light for 10 seconds when recording is triggered by another device (a Pro 3 camera).  When it detects motion itself, it will stay on for the duration of the recording.  This is obviously another bug to add to the list.

So, when my street camera (Pro 3) detects motion, it records for 30 seconds and triggers the driveway camera (Pro 3 Floodlight) to record for 35 seconds.  The driveway recording lasts 35 seconds as expected, but the flood is only on for 10 seconds.

Interestingly, if you set the floodlight to trigger from another device (without recording), then you have the option to choose the duration of the light and the default is 10 seconds.  Once you select record though, the option to change the light duration is grayed out.

R-T
Initiate
Initiate

You need to uncheck the ‘record video’ box then the ‘edit’ icon will appear next to the floodlight. I just figured that out today. So, I changed it to 120 seconds and rechecked the ‘record video’. I haven’t tested to see if the light stays on longer yet. PITA, the light should stay on for as long as you choose. GL

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

R-T: I tried exactly that last night.  The light still only stays on for 10 seconds.

R-T
Initiate
Initiate

Good to know, krypttic. Thanks. I will just change the video to record for 120 seconds - I know that keeps the light on for the duration, as I tried that last night. I just wish we had better options.

A-A-ron
Guide
Guide
I'm confused, there is an option to keep the floodlight on for up to 20 minutes, but it doesn't do that. That would be my preference so the light isn't constantly turning on and off.
krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

They're still trying to fix bugs from up to a year ago (incorrect badge counter, motion being detected on the hub instead of a camera, etc.).  I'm sure they'll get around to this issue sometime before 2030!

LightenUp
Guide
Guide
The floodlight will stay on for up to 20 minutes if you turn it on manually, not by motion. And, if you turn the light on manually it won’t record. The most obvious option doesn’t exist, which would be to give you the option of having the light stay on for longer than 2 minutes when it is triggered by motion. You should be able to set the light to stay on for at least 5 minutes when it is turned on by motion. That feature doesn’t exist. Why ir wouldn’t be available is a flaw in terms of understanding what consumers want. Are you paying attention Arlo? You can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant, Except getting Arlo to do what I would think most people would want.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LightenUp,

The light should remain on for the duration of a triggered recording. If the recording lasts for 5 minutes, the light should also remain on for that duration. Check your modes and rules to determine your selected recording length.

JamesC

A-A-ron
Guide
Guide
It would be nice if the light stayed on for the duration set in the "light settings" whenever it detects motion. Recording times should be separate. I'd rather the light stay on for 20 minutes, but only record the detected motion. I definitely don't want to skim through 20 minute recordings!

This feels much more like a big than an intended design. The light settings for their other cameras work as expected, but on the floodlight it seems like there's a flaw in the software.

On a separate note, I noticed that the floodlight doesn't accept settings from the "smart notifications" settings. So I definitely think this floodlight camera still has some bugs that need worked out.
LightenUp
Guide
Guide
The recording stops when light doesn’t detect motion. I want the light to stay on after recording to light up surrounding area. I would be ok with recording for 5 minutes as long as light stays on but the Arlo doesn’t allow it. Arlo needs to build more flexibility into the product. If I’m going out at night to put out trash, for example, by the time I get back to the garage the light has already gone out. I could turn it on manually but it should be able to stay on longer when triggered by motion, just as much cheaper security lights do that don’t have recording.
LightenUp
Guide
Guide
Agree 100%
HomeBrewRunner
Tutor
Tutor

I have this same issue. I have the floodlight set to light up and record when another camera has detected motion. The floodlight records for the duration set but the light on the floodlight only stays on for 10 seconds. I have tried unchecking the recording checkbox which makes the light duration appear, changing the duration to something longer, checking the record box again but it still only lights up for 10 seconds.

LightenUp
Guide
Guide
When you recheck the record button, it won’t allow you to have the light on for more than 10 seconds after the camera no longer detects motion. The only way to get the light to stay on for 120 seconds when motion is detected is to keep the record button unchecked, which obviously defeats the purpose of having the video camera. It is a poor design that should be changed. When I want the light on for 10 or 20 minutes, I have to set it manually, not by motion, and it doesn’t record motion when you turn light on manually. Arlo needs to incorporate the motion, record and extended light on even after no motion. Otherwise, you can either have it as only to record motion/sound or have it turn on light longer but not record. Again, Arlo if you’re paying attention, you should fix the lack of flexibility currently built in.
carsoncat
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just added the Pro 3 Flood light to my system.  I would never have purchased it if I had known the light only stays on for 10 seconds.  It doesn't matter how you set modes, settings or your grandfather clock.  When the camera is triggered the light stays on for 10 seconds and nothing is going to change that.  Ridiculous.

LightenUp
Guide
Guide
Arlo is not listening. No response to any messages. No fixes. A flawed product with limited flexibility. Another issue I’ve had lately is camera detects motion but doesn’t always record. Happened to me twice recently even though I’m still under the 3-month trial before having to pay $10 a month for 3 plus cameras.
Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 41 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation