Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 54 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
gmace001
Guide
Guide
I have an odd issue where at night, there are times when no motion is detected and the floodlight will turn on by itself and stay on until I discover it and turn it off. It’s really annoying because even though I have it plugged in, the light being on at full blast for a while starts to drain it. It makes no sense to me why it will just randomly turn on and stay on, since there’s not even an option for that!
54 REPLIES 54
gmace001
Guide
Guide
Unfortunately the update did not fix the problem. The light has been stuck on twice since I applied the update. This is very annoying and really needs a working fix.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gmace001,

Do you have a rough estimate of what time these occurrences happened? (ie: 7:48 PM EST 10/10/2020)

Even if you don't have the exact time, approximations will be helpful.

Thanks,

JamesC

gmace001
Guide
Guide
It happened last night just before I made my post. I received no alert, I just happened to notice it’s on and manually turned it off in the app. Last night it was on at 10:20PM because I took a picture of it.
dcfox1
Master
Master

To help JamesC as in his example what time zone?

gmace001
Guide
Guide
Eastern time.
gmace001
Guide
Guide
It happened again tonight. Just checked at 10:31PM Eastern Time. I made a video of me showing the alerts library where the last event was around 5PM, yet my light was just stuck on again. I can send if you like.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gmace001,

I will reach out to you in a private message to collect additional information.

JamesC

gmace001
Guide
Guide
I emailed everything again a few days ago. Now at 7:21PM ET I just discovered it stuck on again. I took screenshots again as well. This is beyond annoying. Can the check mark please be removed from this thread because the firmware did not fix anything, so there is no current solution.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gmace001,

I've sent all of the information you've given to the development team. I will provide an update as soon as we know more.

JamesC

gmace001
Guide
Guide
Thank you. I just found it stuck on again at 7:47PM ET. The consistent thing I’ve seen every time is that the app doesn’t show the countdown time on the light when it happens. If I trigger the light it’ll say 5m and then count down until it turns off. There’s no such indicator when this happens.

Again, can this thread not be marked as solved because it’s not. The issue was not resolved with the firmware update and its simply passing along incorrect information.
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
How is everybody's flood light issue going?

Just found my light turning on at 5.33 AM (GMT) this morning and stayed on for 2 hours until my wife noticed it. Haven't had this issue for a while now but it's back!

I have not performed the update as it won't let me and plus other members have said it didn't fix it anyway.

My guess is there is no fix and they don't know why it does it and they cannot replicate the issue back at their labs.

The only thing to do is to send my device back for testing or replacement!
gmace001
Guide
Guide
Mine is still doing the same thing. It’s almost daily now that I find it on and need to turn it off. Between that and the activity zones being borderline useless, I’m thinking of just dropping Arlo all together. I switched from Ring because the floodlight IR sensor range seemed worse at night, but everything else worked better. This is my third camera and I’m done. We shouldn’t have to be beta testers.
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
The Arlo is pretty good, much better than all the other camera's I have owned but this issue is a serious issue.

I managed to apply the update, hoping that by some miracle it might make difference on my camera..we shall see!
Nuno3209
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello, i have just purchased 2 of these floodlights from bestbuy. I seem to have the same issue as everyone else. I thought i was going crazy.
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

I'm having this problem now too. Oddly enough, I have 2 of them, but only the one plugged in has the issue.

Why now, what did arlo change

gmace001
Guide
Guide
Mine is plugged in too. I have no idea what’s going on with Arlo lately. Just now my camera recorded a 5 minute event, when the motion lasted maybe 10 seconds. There is absolutely nothing else moving after that. Don’t even get me started on activity zones not working right at night.
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Issue not resolved.

I even turned both floodlights off last night. Still woke up to 40 notifications (high wind night) and battery dropped from 95 to 35% charge

gmace001
Guide
Guide
Last night, I had to turn the light off FOUR times. Then I woke up this morning with the sun out, and the light was back on! I’m sorry Arlo, but if there’s no fix, you owe me a refund.
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
I know it makes no sense but I am desperate to try anything to fix this issue so something to try if you haven't already, I created a Custom mode and included the same rules, been using it for the past week, the light coming on seems a lot less erratic now.

The light still randomly comes on but less often and doesn't stay on, just for a few seconds and it's off....I will take that as a win for now until Arlo find out what the issue is...
gmace001
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve done that. Didn’t work.
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Yeah ...I am probably kidding myself. Maybe because the weather hasn't been so bad in the past week to trigger it.
MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Just to report that my floodlight randomly stayed on for hours last night. When I went onto the app to control to it, the camera was pretty much unresponsive until I selected restart camera.

Seriously can we get this replaced under warranty?

It's a bug that looks to be a mystery and non-resolvable at present.
HVLaxRef
Aspirant
Aspirant

i  was having the same issue so decided to uninstall and reinstall it.  It would not reinstall no matter which instructions I followed. I created a case with Arlo and I worked through every suggestion support gave me. They finally replaced my floodlight and the new one has been working perfectly. It took a awhile for Arlo to replace my floodlight.

MrZMan
Guide
Guide
Well I am getting to the point of wanting a refund or a device replacement.

I can't rely on this camera anymore, not knowing when it exhibits such random behaviour is a worry, there are lots of break ins on my street and especially during the darker winter months.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@MrZMan wrote:
Well I am getting to the point of wanting a refund or a device replacement.

I can't rely on this camera anymore, not knowing when it exhibits such random behaviour is a worry, there are lots of break ins on my street and especially during the darker winter months.

Contact Support below for a replacement since it is under warranty. But be prepared to go through all the troubleshooting steps with them first. If you are under the return window for the place you bought it from you can return or exchange it there. 

Discussion stats
  • 54 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation