Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Yet another camera offline

Discussion stats
Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wish I'd never 'upgraded' to Pro 2 now.

Yet another camera has gone offline after just a few days due to the battery being depleted, despite having 70% charge this morning.

This is the third of four cameras to do so.

I expect the remaining one to die at any time.

The other issue is the battery is either somehow becoming disconnected from the contacts or it is being ignored as sometimes physically removing and reinsering the battery works.

The software/firmware is seriously bugged in these new devices.

184 REPLIES 184
mattsrs
Apprentice
Apprentice

My first camera that I thought was not defective, went offline as well today. So both of my cameras are impacted Smiley Mad

mattsrs
Apprentice
Apprentice

archon810 wrote:

Had the same thing happen to me. Camera went from 100 to 8% and died without any warning.

I'm working with Arlo PR directly, so they're already aware of my issue, and now I'll bring this thread to their attention.

I'm taking this to Twitter as well and I am aware of couple of articles coming from Tech sites. You cannot just sell broken product at this price range and stay quiet about problems.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too just experienced this today. I am in the UK.

I have had an Arlo Pro 1 with four camera for six months. I have *never* experienced this until now.

I imported a single Arlo Pro 2 for the front of my house, from Amazon.com

I swapped the front of house Arlo Pro 1 on Monday 23.10.2017. It has run fine from 23.10.2017 at 18:30 until Friday 27.10.2017, 16:25. Now it says *camera offline*. I am not at my house so I cannot pull the battery. I have remote reset the base unit, that has made no difference at all.

To repeat, all four Pro 1 cameras were fine for six months. This new Pro 2 has failed after just under four days at about 92% battery. Something is broken with these Pro 2 cameras.

archon810
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Pro 2 went out the 2nd time after getting fully recharged just 2 days prior. The other Pro 2 is doing fine.

Netgear/Arlo are treating this as a priority, though I wish they communicated better with the public on this forum.

Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

FFS!

Two of my cameras are offline again.

This product is a joke!

ryeguy8585
Guide
Guide
Mine is going back tmrw AM
cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
I pulled the battery on my single offline Pro 2 camera when I return home. It rebooted and went back online.

The battery had dropped from 92 to 77% during the 1.5 hours it was offline so something strange is happening inside there whilst it is offline.

It is currently online and I will monitor it until next failure. I expect this is a firmware issue and I also expect I will have to revert back to the Pro 1 camera if it fails again, pending a software update.

Let's all keep our findings public please so we can share how broken this is.

arlopro2user
Star
Star

Deployed my Arlo 2, two-pack a couple of weeks ago and I did have one drop offline twice. The first time it was at an above 90% battery life, reinserting the battery fixed it. The second time messing with the battery had no effect. Plugged it into the charger and the camera was showing the battery at 0% charge. Charged up the camera to 100% and so far its been connected.

I ended up repositioning my base station, since the camera that disconnected was showing the 1-2 bar signal strength. I wanted to rule that out as a possible cause. The other Arlo 2 hasnt had any issues, nor have the two Arlo Pro (1s) in the system.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
My issue is guaranteed not the base station location. The Arlo 2 has full strength, three bars and is very close to the base station. The previous Arlo 1 was connected solidly for six months in the identical location. This is a firmware bug in my opinion. Too many similar issues across customers.
arlopro2user
Star
Star

Completely agree, but I still like ruling stuff out.

jujojoh
Tutor
Tutor

So I am having this issue with 1 of the cameras for Arlo Pro 1. I thought I would give Pro 2 a chance and pre-ordered, but looks like Netgear didn't fix anything... I am honestly sad since when it works, Arlo is a great product. But I care about reliability the most when it comes to security... I really hope Netgear can fix this soon or I am going to have to abandon this product and look for an alternative. 

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have decided to publicise my status with this Arlo Pro 2 camera so we can all get a feel for how things are running. I propose we all do this and adopt this format:

CBuk
23.10.2017 18:30 (GMT) switched on Arlo 2 ONLINE
27.10.2017 16:20 Arlo 2 OFFLINE at 92% battery
27.10.2017 18:30 reset, now at 77% battery ONLINE
29.10.2017 06.08 still ONLINE

This way you can see how it is evolving for me.
Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

It looks like I have no option but to return mine.

One of the cameras constantly goes down, which makes it useless.

I don't see any movement from Netgear on any of the issues raised over the past few weeks.

The lack of any statement or feedback from anyone involved in resolving the issues would seem to be indicative of the 'support' we can expect going forward.

nedwardg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Netgear has a huge problem with their Arlo Pro and Pro 2 batteries. I bought a 3 cam Pro pkg from Costco that had 4 batteries. Two were defective. Just bought a Netgear Pro 2 single cam from BestBuy. The battery is defective. Have returned both purchases. Won’t buy anymore until Netgear admits issue and has a resolution. My original Arlo Pro 4 cam pkg works great.
Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

The battery in this camera was 70% last night.

Offline this morning with a completely depleted battery.

battery.PNG

Elmw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well offline did grace me today, no way to just turn back on camera in settings... I then in turn, just closed, then reopened my app. Once I resigned back in, it went back to being online and functional. It is buggy at the moment indeed. Hopefully this helps some.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried all of that, didn't work at all for me. I even reset my phone to ensure the app was closed. Only way to bring my Arlo Pro 2 back online was to open, unplug the battery, wait a few seconds, refit the battery and close.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Elmw wrote:

Well offline did grace me today, no way to just turn back on camera in settings... I then in turn, just closed, then reopened my app. Once I resigned back in, it went back to being online and functional. It is buggy at the moment indeed. Hopefully this helps some.

I've noted this, too.  It's been fairly recent and isn't consistent.  Sometimes it's one or all cameras on a base station, other times it's my Q. I don't putz with it - I just instantly log out and back in.

Others are reporting the need to pull batteries, etc. to regain control.  That's a different issue.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just had my third camera that went offline, go offline again 24 hours later after replacing the battery from the last time it went offline. I expect to find a dead battery again when I get home tonight. 

For the group, logging out and back in did not resolve this issue.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

My AP2 has been online since Friday - still online at the mo. Current record is just under four days. If it can get to Wednesday that's record broken 😉

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I also had 1 of my 2 Pro 2 doing this.

It would go offline which would then cause the battery to go totally flat.

Battery pull and recharge sorted out the problem but only for a few days.

Then there was a software upgrade to 1.124.0.0_15476 and I moved the position of the camera slightly closer to the base.

I am not sure if either of those events were significant but the camera has now been up for a week with normal battery drain and has not gone offline once.

I also know that Netgear is taking this problem seriously, it's high priority and they will hopefully have a permanent fix soon. 

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Now my base station and all of my cams went offline again... This happened with the Pros as well. I have two base stations on the same network 10 cams total right now (each station has 5) and the other base station still online and happy. Opened a support ticket on this particular issue and have not received much other than reboot everything in my network, which does eventually resolve it, but not an acceptable solution. Also swapped this suspect base station with a new one to no avail. Sometime both will go offline while the rest of my smart home and network is still connected and happy. Strange... Logging in and out does not resolve.

Bill716
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, I just had another camera go offline.  My firmware for all of my cameras are at 1.124.0.0_15189.  So it appears that I am not at the latest firmware release.  I thought this was automatic.  Is there a way to force an upgrade?  Anyway, my patience is coming to an end.  I've spent way too much time trying to make this product work.  Especially for what it costs.  Going back today or tomorrow.

Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

According to the last post in this thread -- https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Arlo-Pro-2-Bug-Live-Feed-won-t-stop-in-mobile-app/td-p/1... -- firmware 1.124.0.0_15476 was rolling out at least a week ago.

Why haven't the rest of us received the update?

Likely too late now to confirm whether it fixes the issue, as mine also have to be returned tomorrow.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, the other base station came back online on its own.

The base station that was working fine now has one of it's Arlo Pro 2 cams offline. Awesome.

I too thought I was on the latest version, but now discovering there is a newer build out. I am on build: 15189...

Would be nice to know what the newer build version really addresses... I didn't see it updated yet on the release notes page.