Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4500 vs VMB4000 siren

Discussion stats
tr2088
Guide
Guide

Hi, just bought a new set of 4 Pro 2 cameras including the base station which happens to be the new VMB4500. At the installation i updated the firmware.
All good so far - however the siren is a joke and definitely NOT 100db as advertised. Funny enough also all pictures on Arlo.com etc show a different model, i assume the older VMB4000 which i trust has a proper siren.
Any help or advise vs simply returning the product? thanks

47 REPLIES 47
JLX
Guide
Guide
Well I have not tried the siren yet so I can't answer that. However, I to ordered the pro2 4 camera system and it came with the 4500 and not the 4000 base station that is shown. I called Arlo and was first told that the 4000 is the latest model which apparently isn't true? Wondering myself which base station is the latest/better one. Looking forward to the responses and hopefully there is a definitive answer.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@JLX wrote:
Well I have not tried the siren yet so I can't answer that. However, I to ordered the pro2 4 camera system and it came with the 4500 and not the 4000 base station that is shown. I called Arlo and was first told that the 4000 is the latest model which apparently isn't true? Wondering myself which base station is the latest/better one.

Some time during the production life of this Pro 2s, Arlo seems to have changed the base station to the same shape as the later Ultra and Pro 3 ranges. I guess it makes sense to have a production line making the same bits of plastic.

Old promotional material, and web sites, may well show the older device. Unfortunately, the official documentation may also be out of date on things like specifications. The new version of the manual does show both base stations. But the data sheet does not seem to have caught up.

As to which is better, that raises the question in what sense? These things evolve and generally improve as bugs get ironed out and enhancements added.

We need Arlo to check out the specifications for the alarm volume.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@tr2088 wrote:
All good so far - however the siren is a joke and definitely NOT 100db as advertised.

Is it on full volume?

You can adjust it in the rules.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
tr2088
Guide
Guide
Volume is positively at max level and checking with a db-meter it’s only at 70db whilst my smoke detector is at blasting 100db. I assume the even if there might be some technical upgrade of the 4500 base the siren is definitely a down-grade! Can someone who has the 4500 can check the db level as well (via eg an iphone app)?
Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice

I still don't understand which is better to be honest? 

Arlo state that VMB4500 doesn't do 2K here:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

Yet they say they have the same functionality here:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062207/What-is-the-difference-between-the-new-Arlo-Base-Station-with-Siren-VM...

This so Arlo! Its like buying products from a political party who only ever tell you half truths and change their story all the time!

JLX
Guide
Guide
I have read the same thing. What is frustrating is that the Representatives don't even know how to answer this question. Depending on who you talk with you will get answers that contradict the others.
bluefoam
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have two boxes in front of me, one with the vbm4000 and the other with the vbm4500... I need to return one. Even though the older model does 2k, I'm not planning to subscribe for Pro 3 cameras... Mine are Pro 2. So I'm thinking I'll keep the newer model (4500), as I'm hoping there's some under the hood improvements....

Any thoughts on which one to hold onto?
JLX
Guide
Guide
Honestly I would stick with the 4500. It's not confirmed yet that it doesn't do 2k and it is apparently the newer base station. The whole 4000 vs 4500 thing is still a bit confusing and I am still trying to get accurate info from the company. Hope this helps and I will post when/if I get some definitive answers.
tr2088
Guide
Guide
Thanks for all the replies. issue is not solved and i continue harass Arlo with my topic....let’s see what comes out
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JLX wrote:
 It's not confirmed yet that it doesn't do 2k and it is apparently the newer base station. 

It's clearly stated here that the 4500 is limited to 1080p.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

JLX
Guide
Guide
Well aware, however depending on which Arlo representative you speak to they claim the units are the same with the exception of design changes.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JLX wrote:
Well aware, however depending on which Arlo representative you speak to they claim the units are the same with the exception of design changes.

I think the KB articles are better vetted than something a support person might say.  FWIW, I also heard the the VMB4500 had the same features, but that was before the Pro 3 came out.

@JamesC :  can you clarify whether the VMB4500 is limited to 1080p with the Pro-3 camera [or not]?

JLX
Guide
Guide
So I tested the speaker on the cameras and when I talk it is so low you can barley hear anything. Any suggestions? It also sounds like alot of static behind the super low voice that comes through.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JLX wrote:
So I tested the speaker on the cameras and when I talk it is so low you can barley hear anything. Any suggestions? It also sounds like alot of static behind the super low voice that comes through.

It's not a feature I use, but it appears to be a common issue with some Android phones (particularly Samsung).  Headsets apparently work better.

There is no way I know of to change the phone's microphone level, so I don't think there is any workaround.

JAFOJAFO
Guide
Guide

Same problem the siren is not giving more that 70dB.

No data avliable for the model on the web either.

Starfight
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. Same low volume on base station siren. Didn’t even scare my dog. My base station is revision 2. VMB4500r2.

Starfight
Tutor
Tutor

Found this!

B800FF5E-4249-478D-A16E-1E816E2586BA.png

JAFOJAFO
Guide
Guide
It is a low price copy for consumer market. The 4500 does not even have holes in the enclosure to let sound get out in the compersion pictures on web the 4500 pictures have been removed to hide this fact 4500 have less ports less LED indications and a toy siren then 4000. Explains a lower price but to get a new base it seem we have to phurshaee a new set with base and 2 camera.

Kmperry86
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is it? Looks like your link is dead or got pulled.
Kmperry86
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have both models still in the box and am trying to decide which to return. I had bought the 3 camera pro 2 with the 4000 base and before I received it through amazon I saw what was advertised as the same system except it had 4 cameras for a similar price. When I got the 4 camera system I realized the base stations were different and it was the 4500 model as I noticed the box did not advertise the +100 decibel smart siren as the box of the 4000 model did. I almost feel like it is worth it to have what appears to be the louder sounding alarm than having the extra camera. Does anyone have both models of base stations and can compare the sound level? If it is not a noticeable difference I will go with the four camera if it is I would prefer the 3 camera with the 4000 base. Thanks
JAFOJAFO
Guide
Guide
The 4500 will not give a usable sound level if the 4000 box says 100dB I would go for that.
It seems like a single base is not sold but additional cameras is.
JAFOJAFO
Guide
Guide

VMB4500 vs 4000.jpg

Starfight
Tutor
Tutor
Here is a link with pictures inside of vmb4500 and vmb4500v2. My label under the hub says vmb4500, so vmb4500r2 is not the same as vmb4500v2.

https://fccid.io/2APLE18300391
tmithc
Tutor
Tutor

My base is a VMB4500r2 and according to the link posted above ( https://fccid.io/2APLE18300391/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-4044849 ) it seems that it has not a siren! 

When I activate the siren I can  hear a siren sound which is not as loud as advertised (I double checked and it is rated 100 dB on the Amazon description, where I bought it from). 

This is disappointing and I am thinking about returning it while I am in time.

If there is no siren where does the siren sound come from? I cannot see any loudspeaker either from the picture...

Discussion stats