Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Trail Camera Solar Chargers and battery bank for Arlo Pro2

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Ashdut
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been looking for a solar panel battery bank combo for Alro Pro2 for a number of reasons

- We do not have good sunlight all day long where some cameras are placed. 

-  I expect arlo to get powered by the battery bank and therefore behave like it is connected to power continuously. 

- I expect the battery to act like a power buffer, charging battery when sun is high and therefore keeping camera fed at all times. 

Option 1

I found close match to what i was looking for in Trail Camera solar chargers and battery banks. One example as below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001019231726.html

This does provide  9V-12 V charging. 

Option 2 

The alternate option is using a qc3.0 standard outdoor waterproof solar power bank

Example as below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000351352933.html

Anyone who has used any of options above and have they worked?

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Remember that the Pro2 runs on a lower voltages than you listed…

I have run a pro cam off of a 6v gel cell for extended time.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Ashdut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I was under impression this may use 9-12V component of QC 3.0 but understoos this may cause issues. 

Aside what are your views on the QC3.0 battery bank option?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have never seen one work well yet … and a few have tried.

you need more current storage like a 7 ahr gell cell  to run any length of time

look into trail cam/ deer feeder units, they make solar panel and batteries that are matched in 6v

Dannybear
Master
Master
If the camera requires 1.8A @ 5vdc then the camera would run on a 6v 100Ah lead acid battery continuously for about 60 hours. This should cover for a two dull days of sun if using a solar panel charger.
The battery should be ideally placed close to the camera to minimise voltage drop in the camera power cable. Aim for 5.5v at the camera end. You will need to do the homework for the solar panel to be able to power the camera and additionally charge the 6v battery taking into account the voltage drop on the solar cable.

Alternatively use a 12v car battery and QC 3 charger adapter for each camera to over come their individual cable losses.
This should also give similar run times as the camera draw drops to 1.1A at 9v.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear 

If the camera requires 1.8A @ 5vdc

The above is spec'ed at the charger to be max needed to also include charging needs... the camera alone actually needs much less power

But the Pro 2 doesn't need that much current...  The Pro2 from my tests runs mostly at about 200ma draw... Max, if IRC , is about 400ma+ ( with ir running ), depending on what state the camera is.

Obv, recording is most, with Armed at about 25-40ma.... standby or disarmed is almost null.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

Alternatively use a 12v car battery

Car batteries aren't really designed for this use case.  A 12 volt deep cycle or a perhaps a marine battery would probably last longer.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation