Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Speaker cracking

Discussion stats
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Recently I’ve noticed an issues with my camera. At first I thought this issue was camera based. It’s when I access the out door camera via thru the app. I hear a cracking noise. I shut off the “speaker” on that camera thinking that may resolve the noise. And it did. So I returned that camera and replaced it with a new one. I got the same thing!! Same noise when the “speaker” is on. No other cameras do it. I’ve even switched them around and the same sound comes on no matter what camera I use out side. Although I can’t physically hear it from the camera itself, it’s thru the app. This is recent and has just started after the update. Please help.
133 REPLIES 133
micafd3s
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just installed my new AVD1001Ar1.2 Video Doorbell. Horrible Cracking/Static sound. 

Is there a fix? I hear it on my Android and my Desktop. This is so disappointing from a brand new product.

Judgedred127
Star
Star
My app did it for a while till i uninstalled and reinstalled it. But the prior fix was to mute the microphone on the app. Not much to go by but I believe it’s a software issue on the app itself still
micafd3s
Aspirant
Aspirant

It happens on both apps. Desktop PC and mobile app. I have the updated firmware too. I was going to purchase Ultra at the same time but figured on giving the doorbell a shot first. I am now unsure. I might box it up tomorrow and do a return.

RobbieR33
Aspirant
Aspirant
Id recommend returning it and going with a different brand Arlo customer service after purchase and app development team are terrible, so many ongoing problems with static noise in cameras now doorbells
alesssj4
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi all. I thought I’d share my experience to hope it helps you. Like you, I had the cracking sound on my plugged in camera. It was present when watching from web and app (iOS and Android). It happened only with cameras plugged into mains. All firmware was up to date. I raised the case and support swapped my camera under RMA so I recommend you do the same. But here’s what I discovered: when unplugging and plugging back in the cameras, in some instances the noise was GONE. This made me think that the issue could be a poor contact which may be causing interference on the wireless signal. Because I had to return it, I didn’t test further, but I recommend you give it a go. Clean the contacts, and plug, unplug etc. Hope it works for you too!
micafd3s
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im going to do an exchange. If the issue continues.. im going to stay away from this brand. Spent over an hour on hold yesterday waiting for customer service. I doubt cleaning contacts is going to make any difference as my unit is new with a fresh install.

Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
Great idea but that isn’t the problem. I suspected several months ago that it was a noisy power supply. All 4 of my cameras had static when plugged into AC power. Arlo eventually came out with an update and I was surprised but it fixed my issue and I’ve been static free for months now. Many others on this thread were also fixed with that update.
micafd3s
Aspirant
Aspirant

My issue is with the video doorbell. Not with the cameras. Latest firmware too.

Update: I uninstalled it and even under residual battery power, the static and crackle still existed. Walked around to different locations of the house in the possibility that it is interference. Issue remained. I then swapped and installed two new video doorbells from two different stores. Same issue. They need to address this. I am now deciding whether or not to wait this out and hopes that the video doorbell gets a similar update. I prefer the resolution on this rather than other brands. I have two weeks to decide before i can return for a refund. 

Jadegirl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Customer service just walked me through the hard reset and restarting process. This is the 3rd time I’m doing a hard reset. Still no luck. The cracking sound still there and annoying as ever.l after spending over an hour with their rep. I have had this device for over a year. I wish I could just return this at this point.