Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Recently I’ve noticed an issues with my camera. At first I thought this issue was camera based. It’s when I access the out door camera via thru the app. I hear a cracking noise. I shut off the “speaker” on that camera thinking that may resolve the noise. And it did. So I returned that camera and replaced it with a new one. I got the same thing!! Same noise when the “speaker” is on. No other cameras do it. I’ve even switched them around and the same sound comes on no matter what camera I use out side. Although I can’t physically hear it from the camera itself, it’s thru the app. This is recent and has just started after the update. Please help.
133 REPLIES 133
Mide_
Guide
Guide
I've got the exact same issue, since last update.

VMB4000r3 base station and two Arlo Pro 2 cameras that are both plugged in with constant power.

As somebody mentioned, the noise disapeared when I started to talk via the microphone button in Android app, but it comes back again.
tfirma
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello!   

My camera has worked fine in the time I've had it, but recently notice that I hear a crackling / static noise every time I view it.   Any thoughts?  Is it possible it's going bad?  I tried resetting everything, but still get the same noise.  Thanks in advance!

Tom

Glen69
Tutor
Tutor
Hiya Shayne,
Any news as to where they're upto with the fix for the audio crackling??
Could you plz give the tech ppl a rattle and find out, cheers.
Summbrandon
Star
Star
Yes I have VMB4500v2 and I am getting crackling on one Arlo Pro 2
DanDruff
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issues as everyone else. Tried all the usual fixes and nothing helped. Switched all the cameras to the Arlo Ultra base station, problem still exists. Arlo ultra cameras are fine, no issues.
Summbrandon
Star
Star
A follow up to my previous post. Just spent 45 minutes on a call with Arlo Tech support about this issue. Went through removing the Arlo Pro 2 from the house, unpairing it from the base station, removing the battery, repairing with the base station. No static for awhile. Hang up with tech support and now static again. RIP.
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Ok. So I have noticed something related to another post. It seems when the Arlo pro 2 camera (not sure for the other models) is physically plugged in, it will make that cracking sound when the speaker is turned on. I’ve switched cameras around from the battery source to plugging them in and it happens. This is unfortunate because the camera that is plugged in is outside and it’s inconvenient to use a battery based on where my camera is. If you turn the speaker off, it goes away. If you keep the speaker on, its there. This is new cause I’ve had this camera a long time and to come to a simple hardware issue isn’t impressing me with Arlo. I just pray they see this and fix it. Cause what good is investing into a camera system if you can’t use all the features?
Summbrandon
Star
Star
Great call out. The problem camera is indeed plugged in for me too. The other camera on battery power does not have the audio issue. Hopefully Arlo sees this.
Erichockey15
Guide
Guide
I did the exact thing you did and also nothing fixed the crackling sound on my three plugged power Arlo pro 2 cameras. Just wish there was a solution.
GreenBirdUser
Initiate
Initiate

I have been experiencing the crackling noises for more than a month.  Arlo base firmware version 1.15.0.1_3162 etc.  Noise emanating from all three of my AC powered Arlo 2 cameras.  Running Arlo app on iPhone 10r, running IOS 13.3  Any solution would be appreciated.

White-House
Tutor
Tutor
Same issue here with four Arlo Pro 2 cameras plugged in, all four have static noise in live feed and recordings when using the app. Can be temporarily fixed by using the 2 way audio feature in a live feed. However static noise comes back after a short time. Update needed ASAP please Arlo. Nothing users can do on their own to remedy this it appears no matter if on Android or Apple devices. We all need your support pretty soon here Arlo Team.
Dirthawg
Initiate
Initiate

I have recently noticed the same static audio issue as well.  All three of my Pro 2 cameras are experiencing the same audio anomaly.  This is a recent issue as I've had these cameras running without issues for the past 6 months.

The video below is from an Arlo Pro 2 camera connected to constant mains power.  Base Station VMB4000 with firmware 2.12.3-2  01/15/2020.

You will hear a buzzing sound and water running in the background which is from a water circulation pump.  The audio static is constant until :51 then disappears until 1:01

Edit: I found that going into audio settings for the camera and disabling the speaker function has prevented the static/cracking. 

dusterHD48
Initiate
Initiate
I am having issues using the VMB4500 base. The crackling sound only happens to my camera that is connected to AC power.
arnnmio
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently (Jan 2020) purchased and installed an Arlo Pro 2 system.  Hardware version H6.  Firmware 1.125.13.0_31717.  When monitor, there is a considerable amount of static and crackling noise.

arnnmio
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wanted to add that I reduced the audio speaker volume from 100% to 50% and there was still static and crackling noise.

Hamburger79
Initiate
Initiate
I have 5 cameras, 3 are wired with power with the Arlo provided cable. The 3 wired cameras all have the static cracking. The cameras that are not wired sound fine. When removing the power from 3 cameras and restarting them, the sound issue goes away.
Tseyvar
Star
Star

I have 7 Arlo pro 2 cameras and every one of them are plugged in. I have just started getting this noise on only 1 of my cameras in the past few days. I have checked to see if all of them have the latest updates and they do. This problem is only with 1 of the cameras though. 

base station

version VMB4000r3

Firmware 1.15.0.1_3162_d878851

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi I have 3 Arlo pro 2 cameras all running on battery and 1 of these has the annoying scratching crackling noise!!
Constant issues with these cameras, disconnect randomly, or just won't pick up motion unless I remotely turn off and on, only 3 weeks old beginning to regret the purchase...
Texiun
Initiate
Initiate
Hi guys! I’ve recently having the same issue on my Arlo 2 setup as well. I can confirm out of 3 cameras, only the one that is physically wired in is experiencing the issue. Not checked if it’s happening on recorded videos but can confirm the issue occurs on live view.

Was almost about to raise a warranty request!
Summbrandon
Star
Star
Would be great to hear from @ShayneS again on if and when this audio issue will be addressed.
Tseyvar
Star
Star

I spent the morning running a couple wires to a few more Arlo lights that I installed a month ago, and went to check out everything when I was done. I noticed I have 2 more cameras that are starting to make the static noises, they are not anywhere near as loud as the first one that started making the noise over a week ago, but the static is there. This static is now affecting 3 of my 7 Pro 2 cameras.

I can turn off the microphone on the affected cameras and the static stops, but I like the audio portion of these cameras so I can listen for sound when I get an alert and the motion moves away from the camera.

Dirthawg
Initiate
Initiate
Try disabling the speaker instead of the microphone if you don't have a need for 2 way audio. This workaround works for me until Arlo gets around to fixing the issue.
Tseyvar
Star
Star

I did try disabling the speaker, it doesn't make the static stop, only disabling the microphone works for me.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Summbrandon

The Arlo Development Team is still investigating these reports. I will be sure to provide any updates as soon as possible. 

bbhammer1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I didn't go through every post, but I didn't happen to see where anyone was having this issue with a VMB5000.    I currently have only a couple of my 4k Ultra cameras setup and they are all fine, but I do have a Pro 2 and it started to exhibit the same scratching noise being described by everyone.  

The other think I would like to note is that my pro 2 also stopped recording to the my hub.  I have a microSD card with plenty of storage.  The 4k's sense and record fine.  The Pro 2 senses motion but no recording.

All seemed to happen at the same time with the static noise.

Pro 2 Firmware Ver: 1.125.13.0_31717

Hub VMB5000r4 

Firmware Ver: 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04