Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar Charging In Cold Weather

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

This is just an FYI for people using a solar panel to charge a Pro or Pro2 located in a cold region.

I discovered that by installing a black silicone skin on a Pro or Pro 2 camera that is exposed to the sun during the winter, I am able to charge the battery from the solar panel on days when the ambient temperature is well below freezing.  For example, today it is 18° F and both my Pro and Pro 2 are charging.  Even my Pro 2 which has been receiving dozens of false motion triggers due to sunlight and shadows today, is staying topped off at 100%.  However, both the camera and the solar panel have to be in the sun for this to work.  I assume the black skin warms up the camera in the sun light allowing the batteries to charge.  I take them off in the spring so they don’t get excessively hot during the summer.

Sorry if this is a repeat.  I get excited when I see the solar panel performing so well on very cold days.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... it works a bit if the sun warms the camera above 32F.. ( as it normally will not  charge below freezing )

Good to see.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Ironically, one of my solar powered cameras does better in the cold season than it does in the summer in terms of solar performance.  It is on a driveway with deciduous trees on both sides, so there is more sun when the angle is lower on the horizon, after the leaves fall and before they pop back out in the spring.  As long as the camera can get above 32° F it stays nicely charged up.  Generally, they make it through the winter without a battery change.  Long stretches of extremely cold temps or dark overcast days are the only challenges.  My solar powered camera that is NOT itself in the sun, doesn’t do as well because there are so many days the camera is below 32°  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation