Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Singapore - Base station not connecting to internet

Discussion stats
MKwong123
Star
Star

Hi, I have been using my Arlo Pro security camera for close to 10 months. However 2 days ago it lost connection to the ethernet.
I have done the following but the base station is still not connecting and cannot be detected by the app.
1. I have reset my routers IP address
2. I have changed another LAN cable
3. I have reset my base station as well well removed it from my app to restart the pairing process, but it is not working still
4. The base station continue to blink in red light despite my attempts above

Please kindly advise how can I repair my base station and my cameras..appreciate the kind effort.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello community,

If you are experiencing this issue, Please contact the customer support team for further details on how to remedy this issue. The support team will have further information. Arlo Tech Support

View solution in original post

128 REPLIES 128
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming you've held the reset button until the LED flashes amber and let it reboot to start trying to claim it again, your next step is likely to use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

KTR
Star
Star
Having the same issue since a storm in Singapore. All other internet devices reconnected (including both via WiFi and Ethernet) but not Arlo. Have been on chat (both phone and online chat) for the past three days, troubleshooting and base station still won’t connect.

Have done the following: (not particularly in this order)
1. Power-cycled base station (several times including a period of 24 hours)
2. Reset base station (including holding for 10 seconds, and 30 seconds)
3. Turned mobile data off on my phone (as instructed by the Arlo tech support)
4. Changed WiFi channels from 1, to 6, and then 11
5. Removed all devices from my account (1x Arlo Pro2 base station + 2x Arlo Pro cameras + 2x Arlo Pro2 cameras)

Arlo Tech support (via chat) last update was that my ISP may have turned certain ports off (80, 123, and 443). Apparently these need to be ‘open’ for Arlo to work. Spent 3 hours on the phone to both my ISP (StarHub) and Router & Modem maker (Linksys). ISP have said they need tech support to access settings in backend to open ports, and I have to wait 24hours for them to call me back.

So much time wasted, and even if/when it is working again, I’m going to have to set everything up again, including all the different modes.

Extremely frustrating.
MKwong123
Star
Star

Thanks KTR! what a coincidence - I resides in SG too and Starhub is my ISP provider. I called them up and they directly me to speak to Linksys to reset my router. Spent close to 2 hours fixing it but still no progress at all.

Noted that Starhub may have turned off certain ports (80, 123, and 443), could you kindly keep me posted what is the outcome from Starhub if they get back to you?
Sincerely,
Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MKwong123 wrote:

Noted that Starhub may have turned off certain ports (80, 123, and 443), 

Very unlikely, but there are some other router settings that are more likely.

In particular, see if there is any internet security package enabled in the router.  Anything that does DNS filtering can easily prevent the base from reaching the Arlo cloud.  You can try changing the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (Google) or 1.1.1.1 (CloudFlare)

KTR
Star
Star
Thanks Stephen. Already tried that too. Upon checking ports online it appears ISP (StarHub) has these closed (80, 123, and 443). I’m awaiting their tech support to call me back as the people I spoke to today thought I was referring to physical ports i.e. plugs on my router and modem (SMH!). Hoping the tech support from my ISP calls tomorrow and is: a) able to understand what I’m asking, and b) able to re-open the ports. Fingers crossed. Otherwise I will be going back to Arlo support for the 8th time in less than 3 days...
KTR
Star
Star
StarHub called today, and said I would need to speak to another tech support person... they took note of the ports Arlo had mentioned (80, 123, and 443) and said I should expect a call back tomorrow. Will update you hear either way.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KTR wrote:
Thanks Stephen. Already tried that too. Upon checking ports online it appears ISP (StarHub) has these closed (80, 123, and 443).

Port 80 is used for HTTP, and port 443 is used for HTTPS.  If you can browse the web w/o a proxy, then these ports are open for outbound connections.  And Arlo doesn't need them to be opened for inbound connections.

Port 123 is used for internet time sync.  It's harder to check that one if you don't have another appliance that uses it.  There are a couple of freeware windows apps you could try to test with - one is here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nettime/

Any open NTP server will work for testing, just select one from here: https://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

Again, all these ports only need to be open for outbound connections.  The usual port checking tools are checking inbound connections.

Ucmpd1
Aspirant
Aspirant
So my Arlo also lost connection last week from the internet. I have tried everything. I wonder if there was a update or issue on the arlo.

I am able to connect from a different internet connection but the place I originally used the arlo won't connect anymore
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ucmpd1 wrote:

I am able to connect from a different internet connection but the place I originally used the arlo won't connect anymore

Can you clarify this?  Do you mean you connected using a different ethernet path to your router?  Or do you mean that you connected to a different router (for instance in a different home or business).

bessy65
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. I have lost connection with the base station. Tried resetting the hub deleting app and loads of things? Any ideas

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bessy65 wrote:
Hi. I have lost connection with the base station. Tried resetting the hub deleting app and loads of things? Any ideas

What is the status of the LEDs on the base? https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

Meldanteo
Initiate
Initiate
Glad to know I’m not the only one experiencing problem with my base station after the storm in SG. I’ve also tried all the steps listed out on the Arlo support page but the base station still blinks red.
Meldanteo
Initiate
Initiate
If it helps, my ISP is also StarHub.
KTR
Star
Star
Spoke to StarHub Tech Support today and they confirmed that ports: 80, 123, and 443 are all open. Also spoke to Linksys who have confirmed there are no DNS restrictions. Looks like the issue is with Arlo, so I’m back to square one. If anyone in Singapore has any luck getting theirs back online, please post the steps you took. I’ve tried everything over the past 4 days to no avail, and Arlo aren’t providing any additional answers.
ItsNotReallyMe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also in Singapore on Starhub having the exact same issues for the last few days.

Tried everything above to get back online, and still nothing.

alexislee1981
Tutor
Tutor

I too live in Singapore (starhub are my ISP) and have had an issue with our base unit since the storm last week. I spent the best part of 4 hours on the phone to Arlo support and they said I had a faulty base station. Today I received the new base station and of course the same issue, flashing amber and will not connect to the router/internet. I have been through every single step to reset, power cycle etc and nothing works! 

Please do post here if anyone gets their base unit to work?! Also anyone know if Arlo are aware of this issue as it seems there are few of us?!

ItsNotReallyMe
Aspirant
Aspirant
I feel the timing on these issues and the release of the latest firmware updates is not a coincidence.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Base-Station-VMB4500-1-16-1-3-3305-1a608c1...

Checking the App, its only showing me hardware version and serial number under Device Info. Not the Firmware Version for the base station as per Arlo kb articles and screen grabs online I chexked for reference.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ItsNotReallyMe wrote:
Checking the App, its only showing me hardware version and serial number under Device Info. Not the Firmware Version for the base station as per Arlo kb articles and screen grabs online I chexked for reference.

Odd.  I am seeing the firmware version with both the Android App and the IOS one.

MKwong123
Star
Star

Thanks KTR, wonder what other way we could pursue... So far havent seen any Singtel user raising concern. To be honest, looks like it is still Starhub issue.

royyusi
Guide
Guide

I am experiencing the same problem. ISP is Starhub. Tried everything, rebooting, resetting removing device, check that VMB4500 is connected to the router. I plug in my laptop to the ethernet port where the base station goes in and able to connect to internet. Put back the base station in the port but still gives me base is offline. I tried to get a new base station and it arrives today. Same model, VMB4500. It powers on and boot up fine with the old charge and network cable. I can use my app to add the base station to my device. It found it and automatically start to find and update the base station firmware. After about 5 minutes, it gives an error fail to update. And now my new base station appears offline again and stop working.

I can now confirm it is a firmware update that is bricking the base station. The old base station seems to have died in the early morning of 25 April...

royyusi
Guide
Guide

Just to add, the LED is blinking amber and now I could not add the device with my app anymore as it could not find it. But looking at the devices list on my router, I could see that it is assigning IP to the VMB4500. Hope someone could give me an idea what I could do next.

KTR
Star
Star
Spoke to Arlo again tonight (over an hour). Tech support took additional details from me, mentioned -and made me try- all the same KB suggestions, and still blinking amber. This time the tech support person I spoke to said they need to refer it to a different team to investigate further and that I should expect a call or email within 48 hours.

To reiterate, here’s all the steps I have performed (multiple times) as directed by Arlo tech support (not necessarily in this order):

- power cycled the base station
- removed and replaced Ethernet cable
- turned mobile data off on my mobile devices
- reset base station by holding for 10 seconds until unit blinks blue and amber
- reset base station by holding for 30 seconds until solid amber
- removed all cameras and base station from Arlo App (iPhone 11+ Pro)
- deleted and reinstalled Arlo App
- restarted/reset router and modem
- had ISP tech support attend my house to confirm all systems are working properly
- had ISP (StarHub) confirm no changes have been made to my service
- confirmed with Router maker (Linksys) that no changes have been made
- changed channels from auto, to 1, 6, and 11
- confirmed ports 80, 123, and 443 are open and have had no changes
- tried all the above steps with a brand new Arlo base station (I purchased 2, but have only ever set up 1)

I have Phillips Hue (connected via Ethernet), as well as multiple other internet connected smart home devices (iRobot, Dyson air filter, Ambi Climate, Apple TV, August Door lock, Connected espresso machine - all of which are working completely fine).

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the issues started the same day as the latest Arlo firmware update -which also happened to be a really big lightning storm in Singapore.

Guess all I can do is wait 48 hours now!
jjongkp
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wow, I'm glad I finally found this thread. I'm from SG as well and on Starhub.

I've had the same problem for the last few days. A Pro3 smart hub that was previously working well that just won't connect anymore. Flashing amber.

I've done power cycles, hard resets, even changed my router to a new one, reset my modem, tried DMZ and port forwarding... Nothing works.

I finally got to thinking it might have been an automatic firmware update that bricked my base station and that's how I got here. Nothing much more I can do I think.

My wired surveillance cameras are still working, I can surf with a direct wire connection to my router, and every other device I have logged on to my router is working.
jjongkp
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is the number for arlo tech support?