Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
CFK
Guide
Guide

I just bought an Arlo Pro 2 system with 4 cameras. One of the reasons I chose this over other competitors was because I’m supposed to na able to used without a subscription plan.

You can imagine how frustrated I’ve been after being presented with the message “This device is inactive. A paid Arlo Smart subscription is required to activate the device.” when setting up the cameras. I’m forced to choose a plan to activate the camera and there is no free or no-plan option. 

I tried removing the system from my account and resetting the base without success. I only bought 4 cameras, under the limit for paid plans. This message appear with one and now two cameras configured only,

I also tried to contact support, and after waiting for a while I accepted the offer to be called back. Understandable in times of Covid19. When I received the call the support person simply hung up, I called immediately back and was informed the support hours were over for the day. I open a case with no response, yet.

How do I activate the cameras without paying for a subscription?
Is the only solution to return it? Product and support first impression are not helping.

77 REPLIES 77
ArloPro2User1
Aspirant
Aspirant

if your base station Serial number starts with 4RC its for a security company to setup..  Amazon sold you the wrong system.

was on phone with tech lady and we figured out that my base station serial number is incorrect for Home use consumer.

Ponkie
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wow really? shall we return it then? Or arlo is able to fix it. Thank you so much for letting me now 🙂
ArloPro2User1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo said I have to send back. I asked if they could just key in the serial number and she said no. I have to purchase another one. I’m sending mine back to amazon today. Then headed to best buy to purchase a new one. Figure it’s safer to purchase from them.
CFKJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm the initial CFK user that created this topic. However, I had to create a new account to solve this issue.

The problem was solved by Arlo support team after multiple iterations.

I bought my system from Amazon. For some reason that I could not completely understand my base station was tied to the reseller - Amazon in this case - who should manage the account and add plan options. Support could not change that, they had to remove the base from Amazon and I had to create a new account, since the other one was tied to the reseller - don't ask me why. 

After support change the base station configuration in their system I could remove and add the cameras again and it finally worked. 

Feel free to suggest support to look at my main case #41697535 for the solution.

CFKJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat I don't believe you read the comments completely as I mentioned I only had 2 cameras configured and was not offered any plans to buy.

CFKJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Again, read all the comments, that's exactly the problem, no cameras were not being added to the base.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Hippobay
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are a life saver!! 

I just reached out Amazon and they agree to send me a replacement arriving tomorrow. 

Appreciate that you can share the solution!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@CFKJ wrote:

@jguerdat I don't believe you read the comments completely as I mentioned I only had 2 cameras configured and was not offered any plans to buy.

WHen you read all the sections here and try to answer questions on many topics, you don't always have to luxury of spending the time to go back through the entire thread to read who said what. You're welcome to try it...

DarrylW
Aspirant
Aspirant
Let me know if you get any resolution. I am having the exact same problem with a 3 camera set up and having the same issue with customer support. They tried blaming it on amazon (aren’t you the manufacturer?) I’ve returned mine and gotten a new one and having the exact same problem
Hippobay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the replacement has the same issue. 

I would like to try CFK's way to reach out Amazon and see if they can remove themselve from this base station.

Too much trouble ....

Hippobay
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, you are able to ask Amazon to remove themself from this base station and it fixes the issue?

Hippobay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I read you post again and would like to know what exactly is your solution?

Did you reach out Amazon to ask them to remove themselve from the base station?

or did you reach out Arlo, so they can remove Amazon from the base station?

Really appreciate for sharing the details!

NH0428
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was doing the same today. Any idea when they'll fix the issue. I was told on the phone that they are working on the issue. My cameras are sinc'ed and motion sensors react but it tells me to purchase subscription. I only have 3 cameras with the arlo pro 2 and got the voice motion door bell (bell works) .
xuville
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't know if this is helpful. But I had no issue adding cameras without a plan. For me it's just clicking on the back button on the page where it shows you all the subscriptions. That UI totally sucks, it gives you the impression that you cannot proceed without selecting a plan. Once I hit the back button, my camera was added successfully.

DarrylW
Aspirant
Aspirant
So just a heads up that I had the same issue and was able to find a solution. What I did was, remove all of the devices from the app, perform a factory reset on the base station (place a pen in the little slot on the back of the base station for 10 seconds) started from scratch and created a new account using only a PC through google chrome with a new email account (gmail), and it worked. Only after I set everything up on the PC did I then log in under the app using my new information and I didn’t have a problem after that. I don’t know if it’s an app problem, an iPhone problem, a yahoo problem (email I used first) or what but the solution has nothing to do with amazon or anyplace else that sells it. Amazon doesn’t manufacture it, which is why I had an issue with continuing down that path for a third time
NH042880
Aspirant
Aspirant
so I fid that and my cameras are still inactive. Was finally able to reach the customer service. He had ne reset everything again, connect everything .....still nothing. The bell works but thats it
NH042880
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought mine at Walmart and it starts also with 4RC, so do we have to send them all back. I am having exact the same issue like everyone here. Strangely my doorbell connects and works, just the cameras won't stream. I don't think it's the base station. If it is a4lo should send an replacement. When I bought it , it came with lifelong warranty! So how us A9 fixing that issue. I spend over 400 on this system !
kelltt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem with a system purchased form Amazon.

I replied to the email from customer support regarding my case number  41745402 but have had no reply in 4 days. Please let me know if a solution has been found or I plan to return to Amazon and buy something else.

devoncurry
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just received the 3 camera Pro2 kit, ordered directly from Arlo's online store thru their "Father's Day Special" What was received was one of the dreaded 4RC models, out of the box have had no success in using any of the cameras, a described in all prior posts. Tried the recommendation of making a new account with new email, resetting base station and re-pairing everything using only Chrome on a computer, no difference, getting the "this device is inactive. Paid subscription required" message for any number of cameras I attempt to set up. Contacting phone support indicates that this is "a known issue with products bought thru resellers such as Amazon or Walmart, but the first report of the problem when purchased directly thru Arlo.com" After about two hours on hold and several disconnections, I was partnered with a online sales person who only offered to return the item, not any exchange, and could make no recommendation about re-ordering thru arlo.com and not falling victim to receiving the same non-functional 4RC serial number range. Her recommendation was to "go to WalMart so you can check the model numbers yourself" and disconnected the call abruptly.

Chalking my first and only experience with Alro products as a complete disappointment, don't think I'll gamble ordering another product. Interesting that now the "Fathers Day Special" is only offered for the Pro 3 kits... supply chain issues much?

Case Number 41756369

Mikey127
Aspirant
Aspirant
Says cameras require a subscription to activate. Says you don’t need one for the number of cameras we have, only 3. When you select plans, there aren’t even any options. Completely stuck at this point and pretty unhappy with them. Any ideas before I send them back and chose a different company??
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

It really shouldn't need it. You should use the option for not having a subscription and it should work fine as long as you don't have more then 5 cameras. Arlo ofcourse wants you to sign up for subscriptions, but up to the Pro 2 as i understand it should be grandfathered into the 7 day free cloud recording. 

it can be a little confusing for new customers because alot of times Arlo will provide a trail of arlo smart and when it expires they will indicate you need it to keep functionality. It is true you would loose some stuff without arlo smart, but with the Pro2's and below you will still get 7 day recording in the cloud.

As a point of reference I have 3 Arlo Q's, 2, Pro 2's, 1 Pro 3, and the Video Doorbell. The only device that has Arlo Smart is the doorbell because I wanted package detection. I also have CVR on one of the Arlo Q's. Both Pro 2's record to the cloud and the Pro 3 will record locally only to the VMB4540 base station. 

Cthrower
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue I did not order mine from Amazon I bought it from a local retailer called Nebraska furniture mart yesterday called support the person I spoke with never mentioned anything about any issues told me it was my bad station was bad and to go back and exchange the kit I purchased which I did today and guess what same issue that I have too many devices activated and need a paid subscription but the kit I purchased is a base station and three cameras I tried to go ahead and do a paid subscription and can’t do that either this is absolutely ridiculous to me I spent over $400.00 to have a wireless security system that all the reviews etc say how wonderful this system is yet I can’t even use it for the free 7 day plan for less the amount of cameras nor can I purchase a subscription to use it at all and it’s not like I have all the time in the world to run around returning and exchanging let alone the gas to get there and back I’m just about to say forget this worthless system and go with a different manufacture if this doesn’t get resolved soon
Jmod
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello all. Not sure if this might help. I have an older system. Model as above but serial number starts with 4ro. Bought this about 3 years ago. Worked great. Had over 5 cameras and at that point paid for subscription but then stopped subscription and was limited to 5 cameras that were active but the others were still listed and I could turn different ones on and off via app as needed to switch them around. Stopped using system for a while and did not recharge or use cameras or system. Then about a year ago started to reuse the system. Turned it on, connected to the internet and ran 3 cameras only and it worked fine. These three and three others that I had used in the system showed up on my account just like they always had. But I could not find three cameras. They still were on my account with the serial numbers. Then 2 days ago i found an old camera. It was on the account. Charged it up. The system then asked that I insert the battery. Not sure why it asked me to do this since the camera was still on the account. I did and then it asked me to push the button on top to sync it. I did. It shows the camera but now doesn’t show its serial number next to the camera when I look at it under my devices. All the other cameras had the serial numbers including others that I lost/ haven’t been able to locate. I got the message could not activate the camera as it exceeded the number of cameras on the plan. Tried to change the order of the cameras but it didn’t work. So I figured I would delete the other two cameras that I had used ( that still had all the serial numbers listed ) from the account to bring it under 5 cameras. So now I have 4 cameras on the system but it still says I can not activate the 4 th camera that I am trying to add. It is an old camera on my older system which had worked great in the past. I was very impressed in the past with both the paid system and free service. It was great. My three cameras stil work great on the system. Not to be commercial but I spent hundreds if not thousands on several competitors a few years back before trying Arlo. I ultimately went to Arlo cause the other systems were very unreliable. Actually log off and I could only reset it by going home. Enough about that but Arlo was clearly the best and only a little more expensive but worth the price. Also major plus was the feee option. Now back to the problem, in my opinion( and I admit when it comes to computers and tech/ software/hardware I am every
” bit” challenged) , this is not a problem with a specific model base station or where you purchased it from, mine is an older system with an older camera. It has something to do with the resyncing/ or reinsertion of the battery of my camera which then thru their software glitch caused it to be seen as a camera over the limit for the system/ service. Thanks to all the posts here I am not going to do any resets reboots or anything else since my three other cameras still work fine and three is better then none. I think they will fix the glitch in time. I was going to purchase 2-4 more cameras but will hold off as I won’t want to try to get them working for fear of losing the ones that work. I have a summer cottage and was going to purchase a system there but likely will hold off on that but if I do will add it under a different account until the glitch is fixed when I likely will go to the paid service under the one account I now have. Hope my thoughts on this helps.
Cthrower
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is not relevant at all to my issue this is a brand new Arlo pro 2 base station with three cameras included that I just bought two days ago returned it to the store and exchanged for the same exact thing and got the need a paid subscription message with first camera added I have never had an Arlo camera before or an Arlo account so it’s not an issue of adding three additional cameras it’s an issue of setting up a whole new system and cannot access even one camera