Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 40 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Dannybear
Master
Master

Just updated to latest iOS app and seemed to be a harmless transition for iPhone 5s using iOS 12.1. I can see that a number of issues have been addressed so the development team is making progress. One observation so far is that I get an error message when I try to view snapshots from the library, it tells me that I do not hevc support and says to use another device. Videos play fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dannybear
Master
Master
Update:
Updated to iOS App v2.7.2 and issue has been resolved. iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2.
Thanks to all involved.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

How old are the snapshots you are trying to view? Do you have a screenshot of this error message?

Dannybear
Master
Master
@ShayneS,
Any snapshots taken by the v2.7.0 App. Attached is a screenshot of the error on my iPhone 5s. Also get the same error popping up on my iPad Air 2. Using the latest iOS v12.1.2. Btw unable to upload the attached photo to this post.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank You for the info. Do you happen to be using a usb drive for storage?

Dannybear
Master
Master
@ShayneS,
I am using two 8GB USB sticks for backup. I note that that I get no error message using the web App. Btw, Is there a problem uploading photos when posting?
Dannybear
Master
Master
B68ACD82-261F-425F-BF68-D0F1A741A8D5.jpeg
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the information. I am not aware of any uploading issues. Can you try & remove/reinstall the app if you have not already? Can you try and upload the photo again.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@ShayneS,
The photo is viewable on my profile page. Attaching it in the post is not working or beyond me. I will try reinstalling the App again.
Dannybear
Master
Master
@ShayneS,
Same pop up appears after I reinstalled the App and view a snapshot.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dannybear

I found your photo, Thank you for that. Are all your cameras giving you this error? Which camera is the error message for? Can you replicate this issue with any other devices?

Dannybear
Master
Master
@ShayneS,
Snapshots taken on all three of my pro 2 cameras. Same error message is displayed on two iPhone 5s phones and iPad Air 2 using latest iOS. Web browser shows no error. All cameras and base have latest firmware. Only started after updating to iOS App v2.7.0
moorekev
Tutor
Tutor
Same problem also. Acts like snapshots are videos. Videos play fine.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@moorekev

Have you tried to reboot your base station & test again? What device are you experiencing this issue with?

moorekev
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo Pro. Yup. Rebooted. Same result. Honestly it’s just an annoyance. Once you get rid of the pop up you can view the pic.
Dannybear
Master
Master
This issue still exists for me using App v2.7.1.
The annoyance for me is when you have a large number of snapshots in the library, the pop up appears that number of times before you can view it.
ZonitGa
Aspirant
Aspirant
ReaXion
Guide
Guide
Also happening in the app with an arlo baby and on an iPhone Xs..
woodd00
Aspirant
Aspirant

I unfortunately don't have an answer, but I have been having this same issue. I will go in from an alert or just to check on things and all videos will be gone. Most of the time I will log out and back in and they will be there after the app has a while to refresh. I'll be curious if there is a response with a resolution. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It seems to differ depending on whether you're using the app or a web browser. In either case logging out and back in should fix it but, for a browser, clearing the cache does help.

MrBillf
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also receive this message when viewing clips, though not all of them.

As I first start to view clips to review and delete them from the mobile app, everything is fine. After reviewing several clips I will start to get the message "This video not abl eto play because your device doesn't support HEVC format. Please play in on a different device". It will then play the video clip.

If I restart the app, the issue goes away for a short while, then will start again.

If I receive the message for a particular clip, I can close the app, view the same clip and will not get the message.

Does that app get into a bad state that causes this issue? It can get annoying when reviewing a large number of clips.

iPhone 6s

IOS 12.1.2 (happend with previous IOS as well)

Dannybear
Master
Master
@MrBillf,
I believe that you may have a snapshot in your library that when the App is referring it causes the error message.
I can recreate your issue if I have a snapshot from yesterday and start reviewing today’s videos and deleting them.

To implement a work around, suggest that you delete snapshots in the library, downloading those worth keeping first.

A suggestion of why this occurs is that the video encoder is not setting the correct context for a video still frame and the App decoder thinks it is a video clip.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Just to update the thread, support are onto this now so I’m hopeful of a fix in their next App release.

Thanks to ShayneS for his support with getting this actioned.
Raven11
Tutor
Tutor

This morning I noticed two videos captured in my library. Both showed as recorded at the same time and both showed as manual videos. One had the play arrow displayed in the center of the screen and one did not. If I selected the video without the play arrow it would not play, but instead a pop up message would display that stated my device does not support HEVC format. The second video, with the play arrow, would play normally when I touched the play arrow.

what is HEVC, and what is going on?

my iPad is updated to the latest 12.1.3

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

HEVC is a new form of codec that comppresses videos to a smaler size...High Efficiency Video Coding;

it may be in there for the Ultra 4k vids

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Raven11
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks,

I’ve never had an Arlo video not play on any of my IOS devices before, and have never had one show a pop up window that stated “unable to play as device does not support HEVC format”.

I’m also wondering why it appeared in my library as a “manual” video (12:19am), what triggered the recording...audio and motion were both armed?

And why it won’t play on any of my IOS devices (fully updated Iphone7, IPad 6th generation, and my IPad Pro)? 

Discussion stats
  • 40 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation