Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The image quality I have with Pro 2 cameras is much worse than other "1080p" devices.  Grainy, blocky, pixillated, pulsing.  Especially bad when green things (e.g. grass, leaves) are in the frame.  When I first got the system I recall the image quality to be better.  Perhaps Arlo downgraded image quality in order to gain bandwidth for other things, such as two way talk.  Anyone else notice this?

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

AFAIK, they've actually reduced the compression to improve the video quality. Maybe it went backwards again? I don't seem to be having any issues with my Pro2 cameras

Not much going on til later when a vehicle passes but the video looks pretty good to me

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/6A7234A082793585_201806

Pontaso
Guide
Guide

Yep, I have noticed the same thing and have had Pro 2 cameras for about a year. Image quality used to be waaaay better and is now downgraded to junk for many users.

They have screwed up something with the update or done it purposely for the reasons you mentioned, who knows.

Very disappointed with the video/image quality as well and the whole system. Used to be satisfied customer for quite some time, but not any more. Very poor image quality pisses me off. Not even close to 1080p as falsely advertised on the product. Nothing wrong with the hardware, but poor firmware makes this system useless.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you post an example screenshot of the image quality you are describing?

JamesC

Pontaso
Guide
Guide

1529903569017 (002).JPG

This camera has a connection to database with 3 of 3 bars. Used to be clear and crisp. Have the same problem after may firmware update with all the 3 cameras I have had for a year now.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Blurry, not 1080 p quality.

The video stream "pulses", with blocky pixillation.

Garuda13
Initiate
Initiate
Has there been any updates to fix this problem. I just picked up the arlo pro2 and im VERY DISSAPPOINTED with the “1080” vid quality. My camera phone is 50x better quality image. I really hope ARLO pulls their act together VERY SOON or else this unit is going back to the vender. Business will be lost if they slack off
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your phone camera also has many more pixels (1080p is 2 megapixels) and there's big difference in the typical compression used. Also, the Arlo cameras are very wide angle compared to the phone so fewer pixels trying to be used over a wider view leads to less quality.

HD ain't.

Garuda13
Initiate
Initiate
So what ur saying is the utube review vids of the pro2 that was posted have been faked? Bcuz those vids DID show excellent quality footages compared to what mines are putting out. But those utube vids were posted pre firmware updates
CPMestate
Initiate
Initiate

The same has happened to Arlo pro. Used to get crisp images now bellow HD quality and poor battery life. One the cameras have given up the ghost going back to wired alternatives. Images are of better quality and less battery hassle (even with solar charger). Paying for a wired system in the long term is a better alternative as quality is better there is a time stamp and less image issues at night.

Not fit for purpose outside and night vision poor and for a premium priced product a poor show

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation